Mikrokopter MK3638 Bad Motor?

RBlax

Hey guys,

Firstly I'm new to the building process. So if you catch me doing something stupid please let me know.

I am putting together a Droidworx AD8 HLE with the Microkopter motors and chips. When I got the powerboard on and attached the motors I powered it up to test the connectivity. All motors except for one chirped and did a partial spin. My soldering is per the instructions on the Microkopter website, but after it sat for max 2 minutes with power the contact points were warm. I disconnected power and disconnected the wires. I'm not sure if this is a board problem or a motor problem. I'm thinking it's a motor problem though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just running out the door but use a magnifying glass to make sure you didn't bridge any solder across the motor attach pads on the one BL.
it'll be interesting to see performance with you 3638's vs. my Avroto's

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
but after it sat for max 2 minutes with power the contact points were warm.

Which contact point?

Just the ones on the motor that did not spin up?

Is MK tools reporting any error?

Have you run a motor test?

Dave

ovdt

Other notes:

* Use a 9V standart battery for smoke test to see if all the BL Ctrls are OK (green light).

RBlax

Which contact point?

The three contact points on the powerboard (for the number 4 motor). The motor itself did not seem warm.

I have not gone further into the build so I do not know if software will flag anything. I just felt I had better get a replacement motor before continuing with the build. Should I keep building? I figured I would have to undo a lot of stuff to put a new motor in.

Also, the lights on the board for that particular motor are lit up. So it is receiving power and does not appear to be a short circuit. I will check with a magnifying glass to make sure.

I'll post some pictures later if it will assist. My soldering isn't the best!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

RBlax

Bad motor... I just soldered another working motor to the points and it worked... Simple check but I was hoping I didn't have to mess up my other soldering hah.

So I'm going to have to send this one back for another. Thanks guys!

Should I continue building while waiting? I'm thinking about just waiting.

Bartman

rblax,
have you tried soldering the bad motor to another spot to see if it might work? either that or reattach it and see what it does. it might have been mucked up the first time.
bart

RBlax

Well on my way out to work I did just that and it is chirping and does move a bit. It is not acting like the rest of the motors but I am going to go ahead and finish putting it together and check what the software tells me.

That's a whole mother challenge. Trying to get all the software downloaded.

If you guys have any suggestions to help cut back on all the reading and re-reading (which I'll do anyway). I would appreciate it. I'm going to browse for all the software that I need to download tonight when I get off work.

Bartman - do you also have a droidworx machine?

Since I last posted this I've done some looking around and answered that question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

RB
Yes,
I'm better than halfway through building an AD8HLE with MK electronics, cheeSC's (chinese ESC's), an I2C/Pwm converter, and Avroto motors.
I've got an averticalview.com camera mount for it that is getting the Hitec 1985 digital servos and a standalone control/power/receiver package.
It's either going to be great or a colossal turd. We'll see how it all works out... :)

RBlax

Sounds like maybe I can learn a lot from you. I'm loving putting this thing together. Hoping that the end result will be more than satisfactory.

I will be using the AV200. I was told that the AV200 360 wasn't producing the results needed for good camera work yet so I'm holding off.

By the way... I'm looking for a close-up shot of a center plate with all the boards in place. The guide on Mikrokopter is a great help but... :)

Just like to get an idea where I'm heading.

Thanks again for the help. Love this forum already.