Million Dollar Question

FOX222

Is there a camera gimbal stabilizer that actually works? I just wasted 3 days on the Skyline and I am sending it back.

Thanks,
John

mmurfitt

Is there a camera gimbal stabilizer that actually works? I just wasted 3 days on the Skyline and I am sending it back.

Thanks,
John

Really? The Skyline was no good?
That's quite a lot of money wasted, I thought they were good mid-range gimbals..

Which one was it, and what was wrong with it?

Macsgrafs

Really? The Skyline was no good?
That's quite a lot of money wasted, I thought they were good mid-range gimbals..

Which one was it, and what was wrong with it?

They only have the 1...photohigher skyline RSGS, see the 2 threads on this forum to see what problems people are having with them...shame because it's the one I want as well, but I'm holding off for now.

Ross

jes1111

The Freefly Radian is shaping up well - but guaranteed it will be expensive! Search on Vimeo for:
  • Radian
  • FreeFly
  • Stabilisation
  • Stabilization
  • ...and every combination thereof

The Radian and the Hoverfly Gimbal board are both good.

To make these systems work at their best, the gimbal must be balanced, the center of gravity needs to align with the axis of rotation with the camera mounted, it must be set up to work with your gimbal, and belts and gears must be tight.

As the gimbal hardware technology improves (it's good already) we'll see these systems really shine at their fullest potential.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

Thanks,
John

John,

A few questions;

what gimbal are you using?
what flight control system are you using?
what would you like to be able to do with it when it's all working?

thanks,
bart

FOX222

Hi Bart,
I have a AV130 on a MK Octo. We need to video to be used in advertising.

Thank you ,
John

Bowley

Freefly Radian? is this the one John Cuningham is working on with freefly?
I did hear there was a new carvec gimbal stabilizer in the works.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi Bart,
I have a AV130 on a MK Octo. We need to video to be used in advertising.

Thank you ,
John

John,

So you need two axis stabilization? Why not just use the stabilization built into the MK board? I'm using it on my custom 2 axis mount and it works very well.

Check out this thread for a setting tweak that helps it work even better.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4709-MK-gimbal-control-horizon-roll-tweak

Another really important thing for you is going to be to get your AV130 so it doesn't wobble or swing in some way that any stabilization would be unable to control. There's an old thread I started about gimbals and how to make them vibration free. I think there are some basics in there that you could try to apply to your AV130 even though the thread was about my (pre-crash) MKTR.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?658-MKTR-camera-mount-mods

FWIW, the Hoverfly PRO flight control also has very good 2 axis stabilization resident on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

FOX222

Thanks everyone for the response. I have been sick for a few day so I have not not had a chance to follow up.
Bart thanks for links I'll let you know how it works out when I get to feeling better.
I am looking for independent gimbal gyro for a future 2 man operation.

John