Mental Block? Try Sarcasm!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Multi-rotor helicopters being the simple and easily mastered contraptions that they are, it's a wonder so many of you keep coming back to multirotorforums.com each day. What is there to learn? You open the box, charge the battery and then go flying.....easy as that.

So here's a little off-topic inspiration to help you through your day. Forget about popcorn or coffee to help you through your mental blocks, there's a new solution...............sarcasm!

From Smithsonianmag.com

Go Ahead, Wise Guy: Sarcasm Makes People More Creative
It’s science, duh
image: http://thumbs.media.smithsonianmag....b612d75/42-18218428.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

42-18218428.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

(Brian David Stevens/Corbis)
By Danny Lewis
smithsonian.com July 29, 2015

Great. Turns out your sarcasm is so creative. No, really — according to new research published in the journal Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, sarcasm is more nuanced than was once believed. In fact, making sarcastic comments may actually encourage creativity for both the jokester and their audience.

“To create or decode sarcasm, both the expressers and recipients of sarcasm need to overcome the contradiction...between the literal and actual meanings of the sarcastic expressions,” said Francesca Gino, one of the study’s co-authors to Christina Pazzanese for the Harvard Gazette. “This is a process that activates and is facilitated by abstraction, which in turn promotes creative thinking.”

Participants in the series of studies were randomly assigned to have a conversation that was either sarcastic, sincere, or neutral. After a brief conversation, the participants took a test that measured their creativity. The study found that the people who had sarcastic conversations had more creative solutions to tasks they were given than those who had a nice, sincere chat.

“This suggests that sarcasm has the potential to catalyze creativity in everyone,” said Adam D. Galinsky, another of the study’s co-authors, told Pazzanese.

Galinsky noted that it’s possible that sarcastic people tend to be more creative in general. However, you still might want to refrain from being a jerk to someone you don’t know that well, writes Pazzanese. If the joker doesn’t know the other people he or she is chatting with, they may take offense, causing more harm than the good that comes from the sarcasm’s creative boost. Sadly, there’s no suggestion yet on how to handle that boss who can’t take a joke.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...-more-creative-180956092/#HAS1R7jCiqAhBF4z.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
and in related news;

No One Knows When You’re Being Sarcastic in Emails
People often think their sarcasm is obvious, while receivers aren't always so quick to get the joke.
By Rose Eveleth
smithsonian.com August 7, 2012

He might be making a joke no one will get. Image: Old Shoe Woman

Say you get this in an email: “I am so interested in coming to your cat themed bridal shower, Nancy.” Sarcasm? Not sarcasm? Turns out, it’s really hard to tell when someone’s being sincere in an email. The Discover blog NCBI ROFL pulled this gem of a study from the Journal of Personal Social Psychology.

The study showed that people think that they can communicate their tone by email far more successfully than they actually can. And that they probably think this on account of egocentrism. “Because e-mail communicators ‘hear’ a statement differently depending on whether they intend to be, say, sarcastic or funny, it can be difficult to appreciate that their electronic audience may not.”

They asked people to come up with two one-sentence emails about a topic. Here are two that appeared in the study:

I do not like first dates.

I really enjoy dating because I like feeling as self conscious and inadequate as possible.

Then they asked people to anticipate how a receiver would interpret their sentences. Finally, they had the receiver interpret the sentences as sarcastic, or not. People thought that 97% of their sarcastic sentences would be obvious to the other person. That was only true about 84% of the time.

Moral of the story: sarcasm is a lot like finding a mate — way better in person.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I've worked around a lot of creative people, and the majority are sarcastic... knew there had to be a correlation there somewhere!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Is there any way to get EVERYONE to read this? I think then I'd finally stand a chance of being understood :)

Good find!

SamaraMedia

Thought this was just a friend being a smart a** but after seeing his Section 333 approval for a paper airplane I'm convinced Washington and the FAA are out of control.