Aeronavics / Droidworx Measuring motor angle Ad8HL

Blacksails

I've been flying the AD8 for a couple of years now on a wkm. It's performed beautifully but I've always had a yaw problem. If I yaw to the right it's all fine. If I yaw to the left it will carry on yawing for 10-20 degrees after I release the sticks. I've been able to live with this for a while after numerous attempts to sort it. It hasn't caused any problems, its just an annoyance.

Now that I've fitted a brushless gimbal, and everything is beautifully smooth, this yaw problem really shows up on footage.

I'm presuming a couple of my motors are not perfectly straight. Looking at them, they all seem fine but I don't trust my eyes.

There are locators on the motor mounts on the ad8 series which is supposed to make the motors align properly, but obviously not. I have no idea how I'm going to adjust them due to these little locators on the mount and boom.

How do you guys measure to ensure that the motors are aligned correctly?

Blacksails

Expert model destroyer and aerial photographer!

ChrisViperM

You need a Digital Angle Gauge (something like this): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...s_digital_pitch_gauge_for_r_c_helicopter.html
But even for most smartphones you get an App to do that job.

Sometimes yaw problems can be solved by mounting the motors with a slight angle of about 3° - 6°.....Counter Clockwise engines need a shim under the right side of the motor, Clockwise engines a shim under the left side of the motor.
As an example see the Manual of the DJI S800, Page 17 (Troubleshooting) . The arms marked with a dot are CCW, the arms with an X are CW....

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/s800/S800_User_Manual_en.pdf

Chris

Blacksails

Thanks Chris,

Looks like shimming is the answer then as I cannot adjust them any other way.
It wouldn't be a motor or ESC problem would it? They're tiger 2814's, so good motors. And ESC's don't slowly stop working do they, they either ok or they die spectacularly.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
You need to accurately measure prop tips to a flat surface. The slightest movement in the arms can make a big difference at the prop tips, the bigger the pros the more the affect. Even with the locator pins you can still adjust the arms using the inner most clamp bolt. slacken off the outer boom clamps and the inner one and you will see what I mean. Set them up with clamps snug but not in grip of death position. when props perfectly aligned to flat surface tighten outer clamps and then the inner one. I never needed to use shims on any of my DW machines. I think MK did do something with shims / slightly angled motors but I have long since left that most time consuming world of MK!

Dave

Electro 2

Waaay too complex soutions here. Just level with a straight-edge between any two adjacent mounting flanges. Easy fix, gets 'em dead-on.