Manual or Atti mode?

Helijib

Hi guys!

I've been reading a ton of posts all over the board about half of you loving the Manual mode over Attitude mode. For some including myself I have had good luck shooting video with Attitude mode so far. What I'm wondering is how I can experience the manual mode correctly?
I did try flipping my gear switch over once and dumb luck I was lucky and the quad shot straight up into space like a rocket, luckly didn't shoot at me or off into the trees or something like that. I was able to flip the switch back to Atti mode with no problems.

A few questions...
What will I gain if I fly in manual mode?
What is the difference between Atti and manual modes?
What would you recommend for camera work?

Also any tips with setting the TX or Controller up so flipping between modes it doesn't turn the machine into a rocket ship would be awesome.

Thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
what does your MR weigh? what motor/props?

Have you ever tried taking off in manual and flipping to atti? Does it come flying down like the opposite went up?

does your tx have throttle trim? where is it sitting when your flying?

Helijib

Thanks for the reply kloner.

I'm am not sure about weight. I don't have good way to weigh right now.

I'm running the x650 frame, Avroto short shaft motors, APC 12X3.8 props.

I've never tried starting up in Manual. Do you start in Manual?

Throttle trim is set at the low setting all the way down. I guess this could be my issue maybe.

Thanks for the help!!!

kloner

Aerial DP
Mine acts weird just leaving in atti, i always leave manual and flip the switch in the air but only cause it acts strange the other way around, not that it won't, just that disconnected feeling with the model that close makes me nervous

Your problem with the up down bit is most likely that throttle trim. Try this, make the trim in the middle or better yet disable it if possible. Go into assistant and calibrate your tx, twice. When you do, make sure the throttle is at exactly half stick when you hit finish. if you have a monitoring window you can open and see 50% throttle, even better. Then go try it out however your used to and see if it still jams up and down. You might also try the manual liftoff, get up a little so you got time to correct the throttle and see if it has any difference switching then.

when you hit finish in the assistant, by the second time should have all four bars in green

Helijib

Excellent instructions kloner. Thanks.
I'm trying everything now.
One question...
Should I make sure all trims are centered in the tx monitoring window or use sub trim to center the trims exactly in the naza software assistant?
Seems as if I center them in the tx monitoring window the trims in the naza assistant are a bit off just by a few clicks?
Thanks!

a944734

If your quad goes up fast when you switch ATTI -> MAN, it has a power/weight ratio that is very high. In other words it would probably hover with a throttle way lower than 50 %.
While you're in ATTI mode you will not realize that since it is being managed by the brain: 50 % of your stick is hover - plus some clicks it goes up - minus some clicks it goes down.

Now when you leave ATTI, you get see what your quad does when throttle stick is REALLY at 50 % -> skyrocketing ...

The only way to overcome that is to "tune" your quad (in MAN mode !), so it hovers at 50 % stick.
Various ways to achieve that, some ideas
- Increase weight
- prop down
- decrease cell count (4S - > 3S)

Mine hovers at +/- 50 % in MAN mode, now there is absolutely no difference when switching ATTI - MAN

kloner

Aerial DP
make all your trims centered and sub trims 0 as long as you click finish and all the green bars are green, your in.

I have tried to change mine a bit to decrease drift, but have always gone back to all zeros

Helijib

make all your trims centered and sub trims 0 as long as you click finish and all the green bars are green, your in.

I have tried to change mine a bit to decrease drift, but have always gone back to all zeros

Hi Kloner...

I centered everything with trims at zero... Throttle was in the green but the rest were a click or two off so I had to tweak them with subtrim.

I have props off and at center stick with the atti vs manual flip of the switch I am seeing a minor rpm jump.

What I did notice though is now that I raised the main trim on the throttle to zero my fail safe isn't working properly. What I mean is when I fire the motors up and go half stick or high stick and turn off the radio the motors just shut down all the way. They don't sit at the 10-20% enabling a safe landing if I loose a tx rx connection.

Any ideas?

Helijib

Thanks for this info. I have to prop down it sounds as I've got a good load on it already. But this is great info thanks!

kloner

Aerial DP
just to see if this fixes your hoping up part when you hit manual, lets hover it and see what it does. props off is no indicator, the sensors aren't working when it's sitting static.

As for the failsafe, dunno what to tell ya, mine isn't turned on but mine doesn't budge flipping from atti to manual. not an inch. You should see the craft hover at midstick either mode.

Helijib

Got it in the air a few hours ago.
Started it off in manual mode. Was able to hover but dang it was tricky.
Landed it and flipped back to Atti and it was very stable.
I flipped to manual while hovering in Atti and it shot up again.
I have a heavy load too. Gimbal and large camcorder.

I rebound my rx/tx at about 10% stick.
Now when I turn radio off or loose signal it runs at about 10% throttle (seems like 20-30% would be better).
Is that a doable workaround or is that what they call fail safe?