Mantis hybrid Octo just completed

tombrown1

Hey Beresford! The chart says it draws 19.1 amps at 6s with 14*4.7 prop at 100% throttle. Does the amp draw change dramatically when the lipo is 75% depleted?

Thanks,

tb

Also, I'd like to talk to you about your simonk 40a escs. I'll be starting a y6 pretty soon.

RC Rotors

hope this helps Tom.

21lbs is 9525grms

divide by 8 is 1190g per motor. per the tmotor chart that puts you around the 60% drawing 6 amps or so but tmotor tested the apc 14.47 prop which is not what you have. the prop you have i know is more efficient. the best thing to do is monitor how much you put back in when you charge but again that will vary on the packs you use and the amount of cycles the packs have. rpm is voltage multiplied by motor kv so a good pack will hold better at 75% and a bad pack will sag quickly under load. your rig should be able to hover at 50% battery power which in your case you should be fine. i think hobby king sells a gizmo that monitors voltage remotely or get the eagle tree but the best system is to monitor flight times/mah put back in when you charge. in regards to the Y6 what motors? the new simonk i hear is 600hz not sure if that will make it fly better but interesting.

Attachments

• 4012-400.jpg
    4012-400.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 291

RC Rotors

they look the same as the hengli and i think foxtech brand also. it may be the same motor but the hengli's i know are well balanced which is a plus for multirotor. i would do some final weight and thrust calcs first as these motors are only 300 watts and with the y6 you loose another 25% or so of thrust. i have some test data for the hengli will try to dig up.

Thalios

I'd look into DYS motors. much more power, much lighter power to weight ratio and very affordable (bit more than turnigy though).

tombrown1

Well I finally got sick of the Mantis not fitting in the trunk of my Cadillac even though it fits in my wife's Scion xA. Also I've been jealous of the coaxial world for awhile now.

So I decided to turn our bird into an X8. We are using all four of the Mantis arms and discarding the straight ones. Which is great for filming. Our 14" props barely clear the Mantis arms on bottom.

Some friendly advice I learned the hard way:

- apparently it's important that all props spin the proper direction - who knew?
- also pretty important is that when I took the motors and turned them upside down, I also needed to flip those props over so that the leading edge was the flat edge.

Had several flights on a shoot today and she flew like a dream. Chewed up the wind without complaint and flight times were pretty close to what we had been getting. Maybe a minute off. Motors seem a bit hotter, but not bad. Overall a marked improvement over our hybrid flat octo which didn't seem to love wind gusts.

And best of all, she fits in my Caddy!

tombrown1

Trade the Caddie away? You guys are a hoot.

Haven't flown much in the last week, but finally got up today and it looks like we lost about a minute off our old flight time. We had 12 minutes safely with the "flat" octo, and it looks like we are going to have around 11 for the x8. But man, does it fly beautifully. HUGE improvement over the 8-armed version. Count me as a co-axial believer.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Trade the Caddie away? You guys are a hoot.

Haven't flown much in the last week, but finally got up today and it looks like we lost about a minute off our old flight time. We had 12 minutes safely with the "flat" octo, and it looks like we are going to have around 11 for the x8. But man, does it fly beautifully. HUGE improvement over the 8-armed version. Count me as a co-axial believer.

I am in-betweener, as if the wind is lower, nothing is as smooth as a flat 8. With the wind up, I was pretty convinced that a co-ax was the way to go until I tried a larger Hex. I think the Hex has the same properties as a coax 8. The prop disc’s are far enough apart that the wind blows through pretty well. And yet they are super smooth.

but at the end of the day, if the operator is happy with his rig, the rest is just talking! :D