Mantis hybrid Octo just completed

tombrown1

Well after too many hours on these forums and too much money that we don't really have, I've completed my first build. Just had the maiden today. Everything went great.

It's a Vulcan Mantis 1080 - but every other arm is a Z arm - so four regular arms and 4 Z arms.
T-Motor MN4012 400KV
HobbyWing FlyFun Opto 40A ESCs
T-Motor 14*4.8 props
Vulcan power dist. board
WKM 5.16
2 NanoTech 8000 mAh 6S lipos

Had the maiden today and got some gains dialed in. We plan on putting a 3-axis brushless gimbal on from Rotorsandaerialmedia.com. We'll put our GH3 on that.

I don't have accurate flight times yet. Hopefully I can update that info soon.

Thanks to everyone on these forums for all the help. It's a massive heap of essential information.

Best,

Tom

tombrown1

Attachments

• 20130806_233745.jpg
    20130806_233745.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 459

tombrown1

I did a lot of reading about the pros and cons of coaxial vs flat. Coaxial is supposed to cut wind better, bit it's less efficient. I guess the reason it cuts wind better is because not all the props are on the same plane, and the reason it's less efficient is that props are blowing into other props. So my crazy Mantis is an attempt at the best of both worlds.

Gbillerty

Any update on your Build? I'm looking at the Vulcan frame for our winter build!

what Flight times?
Any video shot with it yet?

tombrown1

The Vulcan frame is awesome.

Flight time with 5 pound payload is 13.5 minutes with 16000 mah.

Flies perfectly.

Im in Alexmos hell right now, so no video yet. Hopefully soon, but I think I just fried my board.

TB

Gbillerty

HI Tom!

the web site you listed about the Gimbal does not seem to bu up and running. Where did you got your parts for the Vulcan frame?

It's a nice flight time, I assume it's without camera load.

ok just found it: http://www.shop.rotorsandaerialmedia.com. It's like the cinestar clone with brushless motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

It's really hard to tell. The only thing I've ever flown, besides a toy quad, is a 650 flat hex. It seems to handle the wind just fine in the test flights we've had - not sure if it's better than a flat octo though. . If I had to do it over again I would strongly consider 8 Mantis arms just for the ability to look higher.

tombrown1

Hmmm...I'll see what I can do. For the time being we are knee deep in getting the kinks worked out of this new gimbal and camera. So close I can taste it...

Gbillerty

Hmmm...I'll see what I can do. For the time being we are knee deep in getting the kinks worked out of this new gimbal and camera. So close I can taste it...

So when you'll get some spare time to show us this build log... and a cool video shot with this new setup! hehehe!

tombrown1

OK, so we are slowly getting kinks worked out.

AUW is 21 pounds with lipos and camera on. Flight time is just over 12 minutes with 16000 mAh - pushing it to 13 or 13.5 minutes would put us right about at 80%. 12 is fine with me, so we're keeping it safe.

Our first video is here:

https://vimeo.com/74986032

This is after post-stabilization, and it needed it. This was before we worked out a number of problems. The next vid should be better.

Best,

Tom

tombrown1

Well after too many hours on these forums and too much money that we don't really have, I've completed my first build. Just had the maiden today. Everything went great.

It's a Vulcan Mantis 1080 - but every other arm is a Z arm - so four regular arms and 4 Z arms.
T-Motor MN4012 400KV
HobbyWing FlyFun Opto 40A ESCs
T-Motor 14*4.8 props
Vulcan power dist. board
WKM 5.16
2 NanoTech 8000 mAh 6S lipos

Had the maiden today and got some gains dialed in. We plan on putting a 3-axis brushless gimbal on from Rotorsandaerialmedia.com. We'll put our GH3 on that.

I don't have accurate flight times yet. Hopefully I can update that info soon.

Thanks to everyone on these forums for all the help. It's a massive heap of essential information.

Best,

Tom

Well this is embarrassing. I have absolutely no idea how many amps this rig pulls. I'm trying to fit on some Jeti current telemetry and I need to know my max amps pulled.

Anybody know how many amps this thing would pull at auw 21 lbs.?

And doesn't the amp pull increase as the lipos deplete?

Thanks,

TB

RC Rotors

Tom the eagle tree stuff works real good but with Tiger motors, there test data is very close i would divide the 21 by 8 and see what they have for that value thrust and current draw wise.