Makeshift GPS Holder for my SuperX...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
With the new CineTank build I've been working on (you can check out the review HERE) I am using a XAircraft SuperX FC. Due to my impatience, I ended up ordering the SuperX from CNCheli (first time customer - great service) since Drew at Xaircraft America had been out of stock.

The advantage of Drew's package is that he includes a GPS "mast" for raising the compass unit up off the deck. In some brief test flights, I was afraid I might be getting some interference from the battery I have living near the GPS until I finalize where I want the final placement of everything...

Time to whip out the ShapeLock for a makeshift GPS holder. This stuff is pretty cool to work with. Unless you spend a bunch of time, you probably won't end up with the most beautiful product. But it's great for proof of concept and can be milled, drilled and tapped if needed. And I really just need some height and some protection for the time being, so this stuff comes in handy.

First thing is to find a good template. The "I love NY" mug should work just fine....

Once the template was cut - I taped it to the bottom of an old glass pie tin I bought for messing around with this stuff.... but come to think about it - I really need some apple pie. Might need to shift my priorities....

If you ever work with this stuff - you quickly learn that you DON'T want to ball up the excess material at the end of a session. It makes it almost impossible to get back to the consistency you want for shaping things. I learned this lesson AFTER I made this damn ball...

Still needs to be sanded to make it a little neater, but the aluminum shaft is nice and secure, and it should serve its purpose until I can find something purpose-made for the SuperX GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
So basically you want something like this...?

Can be made in black, white, orange, blue, or red, PM me if interested.

Ken

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ken, I don't want SOMETHING like that, I want THAT! :)

i tried to PM you a while back but the inbox was full. I posted in your thread - but I'll try another PM.

THANKS!

EDIT: inbox is still full

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
OOPS! I thought I had taken care of that when I cleaned out the inbox, forgot that the sent stuff counts towards the total as well...

Fixed, there's space in my PM box now.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ryder -
That's a beautiful little quad. What kind of ESC's are those?

Nothing special, just generic 30 amp ESCs with custom cut heatsinks glued on top of the FETS to keep things cool in hot weather. Turns out the heatsinks aren't really needed in this part of the world, even after 10 minutes flight time a similarly equipped Discovery without heatsinks is barely warm in mid-summer, the heatsink ESCs feel like ambient temp after landing. They do work well in an enclosed space with no airflow, they get warm in there but no more than an ordinary ESC outside with airflow so the mod does work when needed.

Here is the same quad as it sits today and this is soon to change yet again. The arms are about to be swapped from 13mm alloy to 16mm carbon fiber, length will stay the same but it will lose a fair amount of weight in the process...

The Super X replaced the Multiwii on this one which had replaced the original Naza V1. I'm in the process of building up the third set of Discovery frame plates I have using the Paris AIR Multiwii that came from this frame along with the cast off parts from this one after the upgrade, I'll probably swap the top deck as well so no one will think the Super X is really a Multiwii in disguise...

Ken

beo1329

Ken, I don't want SOMETHING like that, I want THAT! :)

i tried to PM you a while back but the inbox was full. I posted in your thread - but I'll try another PM.

THANKS!

EDIT: inbox is still full

I would like to have one as well. I've sent a PM. Let me know if you received it. Thanks. Tamas