Lux flight controller

The little black square on the bottom of the board looks like it's blown idk though I can't really tell... But could that be the reason
Are you talking about the block on the PDB? Don't worry about that melted spot. If there is something on the FC, it is out of focus.

Okay that makes sense I'll move them back to aux 1 then and then get something for those holes and solder then on for an aux 2 so where would I run my camera from if I didn't wanna use aux 2?
If you grab that multimeter after work, you should be able to confirm zero volts on your Aux2 and at your FC. And you don't need to use those holes.

And what's a pololu
a voltage regulator, if you have something that needed say 5 volts out of your 12.6/14.8 volt pack, you would install a 5 volt pololu to power the device. Normally I would say this spot if for a 5V pololu to power a flight controller but your Lux doesn't require 5 volts. Your camera voltage will probably come from your vTx and where you power that from will depend on what it needs. You could finish this build and never use Aux2, which is fine.

And what's an opto?
It means that your OPTO esc does not output a voltage to power a FC or RX. A standard ESC will have a Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) which will power your RX for example by plugging it into the Throttle port. A Opto ESC will not power your RX and so you must grab power else where. Somewhere I read opto is not the correct term that is how manufactures refer to them. I only use OPTO escs just to keep things simpler and then either run a standalone BEC or a pololu.

Last edited:

And the thing is me and my buddy went to our area to fly and when we got there it was flying everything was working fine mind u this is my first board I've soldered up myself.. I was extremely excited lol when we were about to leave I was going to show my buddy something and for some reason my 3rd motor did not move so I went home and replaced the motor and esc just thinking that was the only o e that I haven't replaced yet and maybe the esc just blew I need to change it I changed it its just a quick slot so I didn't have to do with anything in the lux board I and I calibrated it via the sub and ya this all started happaned

And the thing is me and my buddy went to our area to fly and when we got there it was flying everything was working fine mind u this is my first board I've soldered up myself.. I was extremely excited lol when we were about to leave I was going to show my buddy something and for some reason my 3rd motor did not move so I went home and replaced the motor and esc just thinking that was the only o e that I haven't replaced yet and maybe the esc just blew I need to change it I changed it its just a quick slot so I didn't have to do with anything in the lux board I and I calibrated it via the sub and ya this all started happaned

Welcome to the club, I have had video in my house and no video when powering up in the backyard. This is also why you cannot find many FPV/Drone guys excited about riding on their drone.

It is possible the ESC or Motor was damaged, might just been a loose wire. Same with the Lux, especially if you tested its durability via the ground. :D, or the ESC could have been bad and during the fix the power wire for the Lux got jarred.

Make sure you end up with good solder and a good soldering iron at some point if you are going to keep doing your own builds. Then it is just a matter of practice...it is an art of sorts. I like back at some of my first PDB and won't to toss them. And take it easy de-soldering items. If you think you have had the soldering iron on too long, you have. Stop and let it cool and start over with a cleaned and retinned tip. De-soldering can be tricky and you don't want pads coming loose.

Get that multimeter, check your voltages and post some information back on here before you start pulling too many wires.

Okay thank you for your help I'll go out after work today and get that meter. And then I'll let you know about the volts I get off around 4 today so it won't be much longer after that

image.jpg
Okay the first picture is the battery and ground checking the volts on the lux flight controller the second picture is me checking the main power from the power distribution board and then the third is the diode that I think u were talking about but... Right when I plugged it in there I saw a blue light from fc... I think it's burnt I seen smoke come up from it.. Not to sure what diodes...
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,021
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,127

That little black square at the bottom of the flight controller one of the little prongs... It like flashes idk if I can get a soldering iron down in there to put solder to complete the line I think that's the problem...

Ya I just messed it up I have to buy another one:(it's burnt out I tried soldering it to complete connection and ya it got worse... I'm upset:(

Did you move the power wires prior to testing to get the voltage at the Lux? The blue light was a good start. Will look at the pictures from computer, iPhone too small?

Did you try usb to see if it still connects?

I am surprised it smoked, your 4s battery cannot provide enough volts to the batt pad to kill the thing.

Was the flashing a particular color?

Also, look closely at all your solder points, maybe a solder tail bridged. Question would be why did it smoke to prevent it next time.

Well I guess it burnt the rest off and I tried soldering it on ya it's a little small and blurry sorry I might just have to start over with the lux board really liked it though very clean sucks it messed up... I plugged it into the computer it still has its lights but it's still doing that ding ding ding and nothing when I plug only the battery up and yes I did switch the aux 2 to aux 1 because 2 doesn't work because I don't have a connector I think u said.

It was a blue light little flash and then turned off when I had the meter on it only happaned for a split second... And then I burnt it up a little when I was trying to solder them on. This is all confusing :(

Yea, it is too blurry to tell for sure. Far as the blue light, flashing, it is possible that was normal? Not sure if it should have been solid when on battery or not.

When you plug it into the computer and it lights up, can you connect to it? It is most likely toast with the smoke but won't hurt to check. Maybe you got lucky and don't need that piece ;). If you cannot connect to it in addition to the smoke, I would consider it most likely fried. You could also check for solder bridges just in case but if all else fails, practice tinning the pads and connecting pieces of wire to. In the future, be careful with trying to work with components on the board, they are difficult. Based on the replied you were getting on RCGroup, it is possible the board was bad. You could contact warranty (not sure if there is one) but with the burns from attempting to fix the component you might be out of luck if there was any to start with.

You want to be able to connect wires with not much more than a touch of the soldering iron. It is possible that any original damage was due to over heating.

If you have any more questions on the building it/rebuilding it, shoot me a message.

Last edited:

Okay will do yes I still have power when I plug it in via just the usb the lights all come on solid with a red light I just think I messed up a part I got it from get fpv I might be just out of luck on it and might have to just be extra careful on next build.. Maybe I should just go with the dodo lol