Looks Like Drone Operators Might Soon Be A Thing Of The Past.....

kloner

Aerial DP
that'll work out for the action sports market that doesn't value aerials financially anyways......

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Like its canine namesake, AirDog automatically follows you wherever you go, whatever you do. It’s not bothered by pelting rain, freezing temps, massive waves, or freaking insane places. AirDog doesn’t say “no.” It just follows, flying right along.........

but how many people will be active strictly where there won't be obstructions to tame their 'dog?

Maverick

that'll work out for the action sports market that doesn't value aerials financially anyways......

Yea, very true... But this is just the start of it... I'm sure they'll eventually progress to bigger/better cameras, motorsports, advertising, etc... Who knows what will be next....

Maverick

but how many people will be active strictly where there won't be obstructions to tame their 'dog?

The user will have to allow for overhead lines/cables and trees etc, and make sure he doesn't lead the drone into a trap...

Maverick

maverick, are you involved at all with the project?

Ha!... I wish!... That's far too clever for me!

No, Bart... Nothing to do with me, my brother stumbled across it, as he used to work in Palo Alto, and he knows I'm into AP/AV, so he sent me the link...

SamaraMedia

I too felt we're doomed with this setup, just like the 3DR IRIS video that touts all this follow technology, when I posted about this a couple months ago after I saw it on CNBC. It may work in some sports but realistically how many surfers do you know that are in the water for 10-20 minutes before heading back to shore. Most that I've filmed are out there doing a whole lot of waiting, for the next set, the next good wave, paddling out etc. Is airdog gonna launch from shore once you've made out to your prime location, who's gonna watch it on shore so someone doesn't walk away with it? How many times do you think a surfer is gonna want to paddle in every 10-20 minutes to change the battery. Now if you are a two person operator, one surfer, one drone maintainer, then maybe you'll get something half way decent but I'm finding it's all about marketing. Take a 3 second clip from this situation stitch it to another etc and walla you have a great product for the masses. How many gimbal videos have we watched and are amazed by only to find when we go to use it it's not always what it's cracked up to be.

When I used to ride MX years ago I would be out on the track for 30-45 minutes before taking a break. I wouldn't want to have to worry about a drone following me around the track for only 10-20 minutes then return to my truck trackside but I've been known to be wrong before. Just life Amazon's drone delivery video, looks good and plays up the possibilities but you can punch holes in it big enough to fly a plane thru. Yea, like you're going to be waiting at your door for the drone to drop the package in your driveway...

I'm more worried about what the FAA is going to do to us than the latest follow me drone. Maybe it will catch on in some circles but what keeps me up at night is the prospect of spending oodles of money over the past 4 years only to find I can't afford the mega $$$$ that may be needed to go commercial in the US...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Mikrokopter has had this feature for probably two years now and it worked well when they introduced it. There's a video on youtube of Holger waterskiing and the heli following him,

Not exactly cutting edge but interesting how people are starting to adopt these ideas for specific products.