Looking for advice: gimbal with 2,5kg payload

CrashBoomBang

Hi,

i´m looking for the right gimbal for my S1000.
It´s running on Pixhawk, so DJI is no option.
I need a gimbal that can carry a variety of cameras, from GH4 to 4K Blackmagic.

On my search i found several gimbals, but i have a hard time choosing the right one.

I liked the Rctimer legacy, allthough a bit heavy it comes with a nice price and gives good results with a 32bit alexmos or CP. Yet there seems to be no way to mount it to 155mm rails.

Also liked the AV200 IDD with 3 axis conversion. Its very light, comes at a ok price. Adapter plate for rails is available. But i have read several reports claiming it´s a PITA to tune it. Some people claimed needing months to get it right because the IDD drivesystem is hard to tune with alexmos / centerpiece.
frown.gif

The specifications i need are:

- 3 axis
- mounts to 155mm rails like on the s1000 (im willing to use adapterplates if they are available)
- supports +-2,5kg load
- has a max weight of 2kg, less would be better
- supports camera dimension of 17x12x13 cm
- gives good results
- is fairly easy to tune
- is affordable

I would love to hear some suggestions or alternatives from you!

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
I too am interested in the current best gimbals out there. I would prefer to have a gimbal capable of about 5 kg so we can carry Epic with a lens when necessary. The suggestions above are for smaller units. We own a Ronin but have not flown it yet. Wondering if there is better gimbal specifically for aerials, one of the bigger gremsy gimbals like the h14, for instance. Anyone with experience?

econfly

I too am interested in the current best gimbals out there. I would prefer to have a gimbal capable of about 5 kg so we can carry Epic with a lens when necessary. The suggestions above are for smaller units. We own a Ronin but have not flown it yet. Wondering if there is better gimbal specifically for aerials, one of the bigger gremsy gimbals like the h14, for instance. Anyone with experience?

If you really plan to fly a RED Epic, the MōVI M10 or M15 would be the obvious choice. Why bother with anything else with all of that money in the air?

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
I suppose you're right. I guess I'm seeing some really good gimbals coming out that are half the price of the Movi and want to explore. We are pretty happy with our Ronin for handheld camera and don't really want to lose it to the aerial team, but you have got me thinking about just laying down the cash and getting the best.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The Gremsy stuff is pretty spot on. Testing the H6 now. They have a H14 and an H16.. totally handle the RED and any other fat cam.

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
I contacted Gremsy today about video through. How does it work on these gimbals? On the DJI gimbals you have brushless slip rings for video to pass through without a cable. Upon asking the question the first time I got a message from their support that video systems of most kind can be used, which of course was such a general response I tried to be more specific and got this response, word for word. "
Hi, H3 and H16 has hollow shaft on pan motor and you can use slip ring yourself". Can someone enlighten me as to how these actually work. We are probably interested in purchasing two gimbals but would like to know how our video passes through. The spec sheet doesn't say and pictures on their site don't show it. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me on this.

Get one of the larger Famoushobby units (BG003/BG004) with our Centerpiece HV controller. It's going to cost a lot less than the other options and perform significantly better.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Get one of the larger Famoushobby units (BG003/BG004) with our Centerpiece HV controller. It's going to cost a lot less than the other options and perform significantly better.

Roee, has anyone gotten this combo working yet? I haven't seen any update with footage from Violet Wolf.

I think he only carries the smaller BG001 which we also use a lot for testing nowadays.

There other pro customers of ours using these in various configurations (handheld and aerial).
These things are completely overbuilt, which is great for a gimbal.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Have there been any issues that need to be addressed, such as bearing replacement or misalignment of any axis?

Our BG001 is prone to misalignment on the pitch because it doesn't have the newer solid roll bar. Other than that, its great.

violetwolf

Hi guys, i do carry the bg003 and bg 005 as well. I've been too busy to get the 005 on the site but the 003 is here: http://www.uavmediapros.com/product/bg003-pro-famoushobby-dslr-3-axis-brushless-gimbal-canon-5d/

In fact I have the entire famous hobby catalog to offer... If you have any need please send me a pm and I'll set you up.

Same issue with getting testing done and footage up... Busy as f ... We've started a small reality TV series, so hopefully we will be adding gear soon and testing will be one result ;)

Dan Czerwonka

Roee, has anyone gotten this combo working yet? I haven't seen any update with footage from Violet Wolf.

Hey guys, I am new here, but I have a pretty big gimbal I built over the last year that is very similar to the Famous Hobby BG004/5 (but not as nice). I use gbm8108-90T motors on pan and roll and gbm8017-120T motor on tilt powered by 6S batteries. Started way back with an Alexmos board that I could never get to work right, then I upgraded to the Phobotic Centerpiece HV and it changed my life. And the customer service from Roe/etc. is really amazing - best I've ever experienced by far.

Don't know how the system would perform in the air b/c I've only used it handheld, but it handles a fully-built Epic with matte box, Teradek, WFF no problem and I only go through on average 2 2700mah Zippy 6S batteries per day. I'm saving up to build a second gimbal to have on set for backup so I can finally book bigger jobs too (would love to get a BG005, just probably too pricey for me right now).

Annnnyway, if you guys want to have a look at it in action, here's a little video I cut together on my iPhone the other day:

vimeo.com/dancz/gimbal
password: gimbal

I also named my gimbal Bryant :p and made a little minisite for it here if you wanna see more footage: bryantgimbal.com