Li-Po chargers and USB ports

OdinValk

Does it matter what type of USB port is used? Like obviously 2.0 is ok.. but what about a USB 3.0? Does it make any difference? There's no difference in interface like size or shape or anything.. USB 3.0 is just faster when it comes to data transfer... But I wouldn't think it could hurt or have any effect on the charger... Any one have any input?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Does it matter what type of USB port is used? Like obviously 2.0 is ok.. but what about a USB 3.0? Does it make any difference? There's no difference in interface like size or shape or anything.. USB 3.0 is just faster when it comes to data transfer... But I wouldn't think it could hurt or have any effect on the charger... Any one have any input?

You will not damage the unit plugging it Into USB 3 port. They are backwards compatible - and the USB 2 cable just won't take advantage of the additional contacts (and therefore speed) of the USB 3.

OdinValk

Ok thank you.. that's exactly what I thought... But knowing FAR more about PC's than quads or li-po batts.. I wasn't 100%

OdinValk

For my charger to my quad... But now I've run into another issue suddenly.. fully charged battery.. and the quad won't respond to the controls of the transmitter... Kinda pissing me off.. Happened to the one I bought... Took it back to the hobby store and they replaced it... Now after several flights.. this one is doing it... Not real sure wtf is going on

OdinValk

I don't.. and I fixed my latter issue... So it's a nonissue... The battery slides into a canopy type thing on the underside of the quad...

My PC case has 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 slots.. I wanted to make sure the charger could be used in either type... As I stated the only difference is the data transfer speed .. so the power that each pushes doesn't change....

My other issue with the quad not responding is due to a fail safe.. the same way you can't start a quad while the throttle is pushed up... My transmitter has a throttle speed control... If it's turned up.. same thing happens

pizzano

Just An Old CCPM'er
I don't.. and I fixed my latter issue... So it's a nonissue... The battery slides into a canopy type thing on the underside of the quad...

My PC case has 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 slots.. I wanted to make sure the charger could be used in either type... As I stated the only difference is the data transfer speed .. so the power that each pushes doesn't change....

My other issue with the quad not responding is due to a fail safe.. the same way you can't start a quad while the throttle is pushed up... My transmitter has a throttle speed control... If it's turned up.. same thing happens

I seem to remember these questions when the search for a new mini quad was still exciting:

"My questions to the OP are......

1) Do you want something that has a good life span, you can grow into, durable, predictable (will provide decent learning skills and confidence), good vendor supported, RTF/ARF/BF and parts availability...?

2) Or, do you want something that will require frequent firmware up-dates, questionable vendor support, limited parts availability, fragile, difficult to repair and frustration that is not conducive to confidence or increased learning skills.

If number 1 is your answer, then expect to pay a little more for a recognized brand like Blade, Walkera, La Trax or Parrot AR for beginning outdoor use. It's worth the price you'll eventually pay going cheap and banging your head against the wall, later.

If number 2 is your answer, then the Hubsan, Syma, WL Toys ect... would be worth considering. No extra cost's charged for the hair pulling and skull lumps you'll acquire getting them to be predictable, durable, repairable and confident to fly more than 60% of the time."
......:)

OdinValk

Now hold on a sec.. lol my questions don't fall under those ... I was asking if it was safe to use a USB batt charger in a USB 3.0 slot instead of a 2.0. And 2nd was my own fault both times.. I hadn't discovered that both the throttle itself and the throttle speed variation button will activate a fail safe and not allow the quad to lift off... That realization came after tinkering