KDE Direct Dynamometer Development

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Hey Everyone,

Development of the thrust and efficiency data for each sUAS Brushless Motor is a critical design aspect our our Research and Development, and we make sure to post this for each motor edition on our website: http://www.kdedirect.com/XFMRBrushlessMotors.html.

We receive various e-mails about how our data is obtained, so we felt it's best to show you our custom-dynamometer and the critical features installed for accuracy. We recently completed our new Dyno design, with laboratory-grade equipment and custom-CNC machined components, so that we can provide the most accurate data possible to match real-life flight conditions. The entire system was qualified and calibrated at a local laboratory, and then put into use at our facility. Real-life flight conditions vary greatly, depending on setup and environmental affects (humidity, altitude, temperature, etc.), as well as propeller designs, which vary greatly between brands and quality-levels.

All the data is collected on a propeller-test stand, custom build to our needs. The components are:

Power Supply: VOLTEQ Power Supply HY5050EX 50V/50A (custom code updated to 75A output capability)
Force Gauge: MARK-10 Advanced Digital Force Gauge Series 4 (25kg maximum, 10g accuracy)
Linear Roller Slide: Del-Tron RS2-2
Electronic Speed Controller: KDE Direct XF UAS 75HV+ Electronic Speed Controller
Transmitter and Receiver: Futaba 18MZ, R6202SBW

Environment Conditions: 70F, 35% Humidity, 300ft Elevation Altitude

The fixture was designed and built at our KDE Direct facility in Washington, USA. The system is capable of testing all motors, from the KDE1806XF series on 7.4V up to the KDE7215XF-135 at 50.4V, so full capability and high-accuracy for sUAS development. We not only test the KDE Direct products, but also our competitors, to make sure we are always leading the market in the latest technology and performance capabilities. Our goal is to provide the best data possible and there's always ways to argue data or the methods for collection, but here's our system and any deviations from this will provide variable results, depending on the accuracy of your own system and environmental effects.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• KDE Direct Dyno I.jpg
    KDE Direct Dyno I.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 590
  • KDE_Direct_Dyno_II.jpg
    KDE_Direct_Dyno_II.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 547
  • KDE_Direct_Dyno_III.jpg
    KDE_Direct_Dyno_III.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 633

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Now that is great- not just the process that you are going through but the fact that you are telling us. Im just peeved that I bought U7s just before your released your equivalents but then that's the nature of this game at the mo.

One question though, what props do you use for your testing and why? This would be great to know. Many thanks guys.

Ronan

Your smartphone called, it wants it's large screen back from the Futaba... holy that's a big screen! :highly_amused:

It's great to share how you get the information, many of us really appreciate the 'behind the camera' look ;)

ovdt

Thanks for sharing Patrick. It's awesome to hear from companies; I wish every company was responsive and informative like you.

yakjock

I have 4 of the KDE2814XF-515 running on 14"CF props & I have got to say these things are the nuts! best build quality & run so smooth its amazing. The best motors I have ever used.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I sure hope that bench is bolted to the floor. Your bigger motors could surely move that table around, right? :)

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
KDE,
I have to say that I love your test system. It may help lead to a "standard" in the industry and for independent testing. Thanks for sharing this with us all.
Can I please offer one suggestion? And this would be for all using or developing test standards for motors.
Can you fashion a throttle input other than a RX & TX that can reproduce exact throttle % from test to test and location to location? A digital read out with increase/decrease %, start & stop buttons? This would really help ensure that 50% is 50% from test to test.

Thanks... Very Nice Equipment & design!

Andrew

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think I just developed test stand envy :). Simply gorgeous and great to know it's employed in R&D.

Knowing the the props used would be helpful. It seems a variable that is often (if not always) left out of the data provided by other manufacturers.

Hex: Thanks ls to the help of Econfly (resident testing guru here on MRF), we now will have an arduino based signal generator to provide solid, repeatable "throttle" info to our independent test stand. The throttle signal will be set at various points along the curve, with a heavier emphasis near hover (50%).

I think this this should help standardize testing. But it's important to remember that not all Tx send identical PWM measurement for various throttle points, so mileage will still vary depending on personal radio choice. My hope is that it will still give a reasonable approximation of the stick throw.

Old Man

Using a servo driver for ESC control would provide accurate throttle positioning in milliseconds. The better drivers can be programmed to run above and below the typical 1000-2000 ms range to provide some flexibility. Futaba is one brand that requires such flexibility due to their operational low and high points. An alternate would be to write some code that would let one run similar commands from a laptop while data logging into a CSV or similar file. The thrust bench/transducer is a nice set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: