JR vs. Futaba

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I've always been a Futaba guy but I bought a JR thinking I would end up with an MK and wanted the PPM output. I know they now have converters but there seems to me some manufacturer bias towards a certain brand. Does anyone know for a fact if a company designs their controller around, say Futaba, if it would be less likely to work identically with JR/Spektrum radios? DJI clearly favors Futaba and Hoverfly and MK clearly favor JR. I know they should be the same but I am hearing more and more issues with people that happen to have the "other" brand.

I am not sure if MFG's design around a certain radio brand. I do know that most are beginning to offer S-Bus support which is great for us Futaba guys. As far as JR vs Futaba radio choice goes. I flew Futaba for years and loved it. When I started Flying MK, I went and bought a couple JR 11x's, only because MK did not support Futaba (without using some converter). I Tried Futaba on my MK at first with the converter, but there always seemed to be weird moments while flying, like twitches and such. Using JR it seemed to have signal loss every now and then while flying the MK. Whether it was a 9503, 11x, DX8 or what ever, there was always a least one moment I felt a loss of signal or connection while flying. Well time passed and MK recently came out with the S-BUS compatible firmware. I installed a FUTABA 14MZ, and all I can say is WOWWW. I absolutely love it. There is an immediate response difference, and the sticks feel SO much more connected to the aircraft. It flies much smoother, and much more precise. I use Futaba's 8FG's on all my Ready To Fly builds for customers. I will probably never go back to JR.

This is just my opinion.

Take care,

Patrick

blbills

If you ever have a chance to do this take both a Futaba and a JR radio side by side and remove the back cover. Upon examining the "innards" you will see the difference. Futaba is held to a much higher standard.

That being said there are some good JR radios out there but I'm a die-hard Futaba guy now.

Brian

kloner

Aerial DP
I felt that disconnected feeling the whole time i've flown rc till i got a futaba

on the dji they just turned on ppm input. if you have a jr with a long range system and try to use it, ch1 is the throttle and theres nothing you can do to change it, hence made for futaba.......

The trainer ports on futaba radios use a ppm5 or 5 volt and the jr/spek vary model to model, alot of them use shifting to fit extra channels in the signal. there weird...... DSC i think they call it.... but like the old jr stuff 8103, 9503 have ppm5 inside, just not on the trainer port. Theorticaly you can take a jr module and wire it in the trainer port of a futaba and fly jr rx's on dsm2 or whatever and vice versa. The whole time where they've removed the modules is where it got weird and digital type of chitter chatter