It just bit me :) Learned again to take the props off !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just wanted to upgrade my Naza in a late night session thought i would leave the props on
and during upgrade the Quad went to full throttle cutting up my arm top of my head luckily nothing in my face :)
But this was pure luck it could have landing completely in my face and that would have been ugly !!!!!

So matter how experienced you think you are it can always bite you. In this case the props shouldn't have started but they still did !

Boris

View attachment 4785

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 348

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Haha already at the hospital hard one to explain what happened :) and why at 3 o'clock at might :)

Efliernz

Pete
I love the priorities of some modelers :black_eyed:

It goes like this :dejection:

Wuurrr chop chop (owww) wurrr "oh crap" (or similar phrase).
Firstly - where is the camera... hey - that looks really bad... (taking the photo one-handed dripping everywhere)...
Wife yelling "not on the carpet"...
You screaming "I'll get in the car after I have taken the photos and have them on the forum...!"

Thanks for the reminder that us experienced ones do get complacent! Get well soon!

Pete

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Luckily I didn't need stitches on my head the cuts weren't that deep. But how that thing wanted to wrap itself around me and didn't let go, that was real love :)

All during firmware upgrade I am positive the boot loader is gone.

Oh well at least the doc was cute although she wasn't to down with the whole story.

DennyR

I had a desktop flyaway once with MK, it missed me by an inch or two and planted itself on the ceiling and wouldn't come down. Sorry about your injury Boris, Thanks for the reminder, non of us can ever be off guard. Did that happen whilst the Naza Assistant was showing MC-OUTPUT OFF?

You can see why I only fly around people with prop guards fitted.

You may want to check the Mini USB socket on the V-Sens unit. I have had to replace mine as it had a bad connection due to wear and tear. That could definitely cause that problem. Thanks to Geoff at Quadcopters I was able to get my hands on a spare.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Japp it acutally did while USB was connected and Outputs were off. I was holding the fpv bird in one hand and the notebook in my lap, sitting on the stairs to get a better wifi connection. I hit upgrade 2 secs later I got kissed. Luckily the lipo ripped off. I guess I grabbed it with some ninja reflexes :)

Might just drop a note to DJI that outputs seem go on full during FW upgrade under some circumstances.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Gonna check Vsen. I think you are addressing the right point could be that the USB connection drop at the wrong moment !

DennyR

Yes, I remember you saying once that you were having problems with upgrade that was possibly related to bootloader. I was having the same issue which I traced to a broken solder joint at the mini USB connector. Almost impossible to reflow it in that position, but the replacement part was less than 12 pounds sterling. That connector sees a lot of use if you are constantly playing with settings, a little tug now and then and you have an unreliable connection.

Now I alway make sure that I can make an easy connection by arranging the installation so it is easy to get at. I also purchased a longer cable.

Hi,

Sorry for your mishap. It's standard for WKM to have dual power line, one to the IMU and the other to the escs/motors. When upgrading firmware/adjusting gains etc we always disconnect power to the escs/motors. I've adopted the same dual power line structure to my arducopter FC for safety during firmware upgrade or adjustment to parameters.

Cheers

Lanzar

Happened to me 2 days ago while upgrading wookong. But cinesar 8 and ofcourse props 7 and 8 started but i was lucky it was on the other side so i grabed it and krleas took of the battery before it got ugly. Could have been realy bad so i say i had luck or an angel watching me. Fell sorry for you, but this should not happen with usb connected.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the site can't be responsible for injuries incurred in falls related to blood loss and loss of consciousness while trying to post photos before going to an emergency room. :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thanks for the kind words for getting better etc. tried to replicate the incidence with props off :) but no chance. But must have been a wiggle of the USB port at the wrong moment of the software upgrade. I now considered I don't like the bird anymore that bit my and ordered a new frame :)

THanks

Boris

tstrike

pendejo grande
I now considered I don't like the bird anymore that bit my and ordered a new frame :)

THanks

Boris

I'll send a return addressed box and some paper towels:nevreness:. Sorry to hear and see this Boris, hoping you heal quickly!

kloner

Aerial DP
that sucks, heal up. guess i'm glad i got a restricted website error when i tried to upgrade the other day. You always think it can fire up but usually doesn't

Dune

Wow. This sucks. As a NAZA user, I am going to change my behavior. I never take props off when upgrading. Usually the upgrade is out in the field with the laptop, and I'm doing it over and over as I tune the gains.

It'll be a big big pain in the *** and will make tuning take a lot longer than it already does...but hell I don't want to get sliced. I thought I was safe. Take comfort in knowing you saved someone else's ***.

Maybe there's some lazy way to fix this? Set your backpack or big heavy carhart jacket on top of the quad in the field. Maybe you would be ok as long as the props are obstructed from spinning. Seems great in theory, though I wouldn't risk it. The only real way to be safe is to just take the props off.

DennyR

I think we should not loose sight of the fact that this may have come about as a result of a bad mini usb connection. It is always worth giving the socket a wobble and watch to see if the connection drops out. If that happens you will loose the write function line (highlighted) and MC output will change to ON. Never had a problem when the connection is good. I must have made hundreds of setting changes at the field

This is starting to worry me. I had the same thing happen to a Naza F550 a couple months ago. Also had a friend with a wookong that took off. Each were while plugged into the laptop, changing normal gain settings. Pretty dang scary. This is deffinently something DJI should look into.