Is there a camera which can be zoomed when airborne?

mmurfitt

Hi,
As the subject heading says, I'm looking for a 'zoom-able' solution to be able to zoom a camera when airborne.
Can this be done with the Sony-Nex5/7? Or maybe the Panasonic GH2/3??

I presume there's some additional boards, leads and software required, if anyone's done this could you give an outline of how you did it and what kit you used?

Thanks

mmurfitt

Sony cx730-760. Rc shutter lanc.

Hey, thanks.
There's a guy I follow on YouTube who uses one of these and has the zoom functionality, and to be honest I was hoping it would be possible with the smaller cameras...darn it!

Do you happen to know whether it's possible to use these camera's for FPV?

(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes, please say yes..) :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Clearly you don't look at many posts on this forum. Yes it has av out and the lanc cable has integrated this into it. No hdmi needed. Works great. Type in cx760 on YouTube or check out the cx760 thread. That camera is all over the place. Although using only this camera for fpv would be very dangerous without OSD. Better with a separate fpv cam in addition to this.

mmurfitt

Apologies, I hate it when people do this (ask questions before trawling the forum).
I'll have a good look and read through, thanks for your answer though, appreciate it.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Hey, thanks.
There's a guy I follow on YouTube who uses one of these and has the zoom functionality, and to be honest I was hoping it would be possible with the smaller cameras...darn it!

Do you happen to know whether it's possible to use these camera's for FPV?

(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes, please say yes..) :)

Yes. Yes. Yes. :) But mine is on a Cinestar 8 with Mikrokopter electronics and the MK LANC board. I do have it hooked up to my Iftron video TX for FPV, although it's not particularly well-suited for general flying, especially because I'm using Radian stabilizers, and you're actually better off without a stabilized camera for FPV. I'm going to get a switch for my transmitter that can switch between a small FPV camera (for flying) and the Sony (for filming).

Here's the MK LANC adapter: http://www.quadrocopter.com/Sony-LANC-Ctrl-Camera-Remote-Control_p_624.html

ChrisViperM

You could do it like in the vid:

If the little exra weight doesn't matter, it is a simple DIY project. All you need is a mini servo and the gears ....and you can zomm just with an extra channel on your tranmitter.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

mmurfitt

Yes. Yes. Yes. :) But mine is on a Cinestar 8 with Mikrokopter electronics and the MK LANC board. I do have it hooked up to my Iftron video TX for FPV, although it's not particularly well-suited for general flying, especially because I'm using Radian stabilizers, and you're actually better off without a stabilized camera for FPV. I'm going to get a switch for my transmitter that can switch between a small FPV camera (for flying) and the Sony (for filming).

Here's the MK LANC adapter: http://www.quadrocopter.com/Sony-LANC-Ctrl-Camera-Remote-Control_p_624.html

Thanks Steve, I'll keep hold of this as I don't have the camera just yet, thanks for the link

mmurfitt

You could do it like in the vid:

If the little exra weight doesn't matter, it is a simple DIY project. All you need is a mini servo and the gears ....and you can zomm just with an extra channel on your tranmitter.

Chris

Blimey!
This is quite something.
I'm ok with a little DIY, but something like this is probably beyond my meagre skills and time.. :)
Interesting idea though.