Is size so important?

I need to decide between building a 900mm or 1200mm hex. Setup will be generally to carry mid size mirrorless SLR (NEX 5r) but it would be good to be able to lift something bigger if necessary. Assuming the same motor/prop combination on each, what are the real advantages of going with a bigger span multi? I am guessing that stability would probably be better, but by what sort of factor? Perhaps keeping the gimbal as clear as possible from the downthrust of the props would be a good thing, but are there any other factors? One thing for sure is that it would be easier to transport a 900mm!

Can anyone help educate me on this?

Thanks

Andrew

Bowley

I guess it depends on what you need to lift and the props you need.
Alex at VulcanUAV would be the man to ask, kinda presuming your opting for a vulcan with those options.

Thanks for your reply and yes, you are Spot on, Vulcan is top of my list. I appreciate that a bigger frame will allow you to run larger props, but you likely would need larger and probably lower kv motors to do this. What I am really interested in is whether there are any other advantages with a larger frame. So, given that the motor/prop combo is the same, why would I want a 1200mm frame rather than a 900mm?

Efliernz

Pete
I think you can go too large if you don't have enough weight.

For example... I built a DIY 860mm 3.4Kg octo to carry a Sony RX100. Even though I was using a HoverflyPro controller (which is damn good when it comes to gain setup), it flew well but did move around a bit and felt light in the wind - therefore it was affected it easily. I turned my motor-mounts around and it became a 770mm Octo. Same weight, props etc and it feels like a whole different and better machine.

Large is is good if you need to run large props with heavy weights... imho ;) but I think you can go too far.

Pete

HexaFlexa

Another thing to consider it transporting it.. My 1100mm octo is a tad too big to get in my car without removing one arm, which is a pain. Big looks great in the air but i think mine's having a meeting with the hacksaw soon..

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Have you considered the Bart O' Copter XY8? It pretty much solves all these issues you are listing and more. I got one and it is the Bee's knees.

Bowley

Thanks for your reply and yes, you are Spot on, Vulcan is top of my list. I appreciate that a bigger frame will allow you to run larger props, but you likely would need larger and probably lower kv motors to do this. What I am really interested in is whether there are any other advantages with a larger frame. So, given that the motor/prop combo is the same, why would I want a 1200mm frame rather than a 900mm?

I have the 900 Hex. Impressive in there modular simplicity.

Thanks for your replies chaps. Sounds like I would be best off going with the 900mm hex. Much appreciate your advice.

Andrew