Is it normal for Zippy's to feel soft?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I've never owned Zippy's before but just had some delivered where all 6 are kinda soft on the outside faces. It doesnt seem like they are puffed but more like there is a padding in there. Anyone have the same? My GensAce were always firm. I will say the box was damn warm from it being 90 degrees here so probably well above 100 in the truck during shipment. As they are all pretty consistent in feel I am hoping that's just how they are.

Electro 2

I have many Zippys, and yes, they tend to be somewhat more "squishy" than some other brands. I'm guessing they put more liquid electrolyte in than others. They're not that great of a battery either, cell-to-cell matching goes down hill quickly after repeated uses.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
they were kind of an emergency purchase. I got them from a guy off here. I kinda freaked when I felt them. the IR is pretty good at 1-3 per cell. Seems to hold charge on the ones I tried. as long as they dont all of the sudden fail mid air Ill be happy. I can deal with short life as long as i have a chance to retire them before they retire me!

kloner

Aerial DP
zippy are usually very square and hard,,,,, squishy is as i know as being puffed, gets rounder

but ir is everything and those numbers are in range as new

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have only had 2 puffy cells and they actually seemed hardish after they puffed on one and the other was like jelly. So I dont really know how to guage it by feel. I will say that it feels more like a piece of foam as to puffed because it only pushes in about 1/8" or less before it is firm. Regardless, my Gens Ace NEVER did this.

Electro 2

These R-sub-s values are for the entire pack, it's the match between cells that drifts out with these things. I use 'em but they're not the best things on the planet.

Electro 2

What does r-sub-s mean?

Source Resistance, the source impedance of the pack. R is the engineering symbol for resistance and any subscript would mean the resistance of something specfic, like a voltage source. I really don't know how to to subcripts in raw ASCII for posting on a board, so I put it up that way.

kloner

Aerial DP
modern high end chargers have an IR mode to measure it. push a button, tell you off the main connector or if you plug in the balance, each cell..... no script needed, it's just a number we base the packs useful life from. Icharger, hyperion and fma direct

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Just to follow up on their squishy-ness. when they were first delivered they were clearly in a hot UPS truck for a while. As they cooled to room temp they definitely firmed up a little. Still some softness that is less like a puffy pack but more like a thin layer of foam under the shrink wrap, which I am pretty sure there is not. Anyways, they work fine so far.