Is anyone using a T2i with the 10-22 lens?

jes1111

I'm surprised at how much lighter the Canon is than the Sigma and others. Naturally, for an overloaded octo that's important, but be under no illusion: its lighter 'cos it has more plastic and less glass!

People obsess a lot about lenses- it's a favourite topic around the bar in "The Photographer's Arms". Back in the days of film it mattered much more: once the shutter clicked there was little you could do to correct any optical deficiencies. But digital has changed all that - the perceived quality of a lens (when looking at a real image instead of a test target) is much more to do with how the image has been post-processed. Put it this way: with good processing, I'd challenge anyone to tell which lens took which image.

If you really want that wide angle (and at 10mm on a crop sensor it is VERY wide), then simply go with your priority: lowest weight or lowest cost. However I would strongly recommend that you rent one first - not to assess the quality but to find out if it gives you the images you want. The extreme wide angle creates compositional problems/challenges and (on an MR) is likely to get the arms in the shot unless it's pointed severely downwards.

With either the Canon or Sigma lens you will be aware of optical imperfections - barrel distortion, chromatic abberation, vignetting, edge softness, etc. So to get the best out of either lens you'll want to look at DxO. Sorry, Emowillcox, but just because Adobe is a big company does not make LR the best product (as Microsoft also demonstrates). DxO may be a small company but they make the hardware/software that is used (by manufacturers, magazines, etc.) to measure the performance of lenses and sensors, so they know a thing or two about the subject! The core attraction of DxO is that it corrects all the known shortcomings of the particular lens and sensor you are using. So take the same scene with the Canon and the Sigma, process them both through DxO and I guarantee you'll not be able to tell them apart. And you cannot say that about LR (or any of the other raw processors). Check some of the images on my website - they are taken with Nikon D200, D300, D700 and D3s with various Nikon and Sigma lenses, as well as Canon 1DsMkII and 1DsMkIII cameras with various Canon lenses (including 17mm and 24mm shift lenses) - but you simply cannot tell which is which. They are all processed through DxO, of course.

Just to touch on a few other points raised in this thread:

Barrel distortion (the rendering of straight lines as curved lines) is more noticeable with subjects closer to the camera and near the left/right edges, but it's there all the time. DxO eliminates it. Period.

So-called "wide angle distortion" is different and is actually two things. First, there's optical stretching (technically called anamorphism): objects near the edge of the frame appear elongated. Then there's keystoning: the unwanted convergence of
parallel lines (the "leaning building" effect). The first has no real solution (it's just physics), the second can be avoided by keeping the camera dead-level or corrected in post-processing. Neither are anything to do with lens quality.

A tilt-shift lens does not magically make any of these problems go away, but gives the photographer various mechanisms to avoid or at least minimise/relocate the issues. Flying a tilt-shift lens would be somewhat impractical (since you can't twiddle it's little knobs up there) and unlikely to produce superior results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i almost bought the canon lens today and now i'm almost going to buy the sigma. the money for the canon is just too big a hurdle with the sigma going for half.
then there's the MK FC i want to build for the build thread i started a couple of weeks ago.
maybe if i win the droidworx frame i can......doh!....i'm admin! i can't win! .....
so maybe it will be the sigma after all. i'm not photographing the Pope after all, right? it's just a bunch of inanimate buildings.......hmmmm

i tried installing the DxO trial package and it wouldn't install. i'll have to have another go at it tonight.

Bartman

ready to order the Sigma lens, is anyone using any kind of filters? i'm thinking the circular polarizer might be cool to try.
@emo, too much stuff to buy in the coming months so had to go cheap. appreciate your input though.
Thanks too to everyone else that chimed in
bart

jes1111

Don't bother with a polariser. Since the angle of view is so wide the effect of the polariser varies across the field of view, so one part of the sky will go darker than the rest. You can achieve better effects in Photoshop anyway ;-)

Bartman

lens is on order. downloading dxo again. looking forward to trying it out.
g'night all.
bart

Bartman

this is long overdue but here you go.

The Sigma lens is working out great. If the picture quality is poor, I can't tell. I'm able to get right up close to things, sometimes like today in very awkward positions and still get shots that have everything packed into the frame. it's a great tool and well worth the money.

The downside is that it's heavy and puts a strain on the camera mount. I'm not sure how much longer the little pitch servo is going to be able to take it but I guess we'll find out. I don't use the lens every flight, FWIW.

Here are a couple of pics from a shoot I just did this afternoon. I had trees all over, power lines, limited views but the lens gave me an option and the DxO Optics software finished the job. here are the before processing and after processing pics. I had very few perspectives to choose from so let's not hear, "you should have been more to the left" because there was probably a tree there that kept me from going more left (and power lines directly behind the copter)!

i'm using the stock processing profiles for the lenses i have which is another way of saying I have no idea how to use the software and it still does a great job of tuning up the pics.

thanks again for all the help on this.
bart

Attachments

• IMG_0589_small.jpg
    IMG_0589_small.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0589_DxO_small.jpg
    IMG_0589_DxO_small.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 197

jes1111

Fantastic - so glad to hear that the lens is working out and DxO is doing its magic.

What size is the pitch servo? You should be able to upgrade it to something with more grunt.

Stacky

The thing thats given me the most headaches over the years with wide angle lenses has been edge softness and its mostly been a problem in wide zooms. Im currently hunting around for a fast, fixed focal length wide angle and am not too worried if its a non auto focus either although light manual focus lenses I suspect will be very hard to find.

CopterCam

Bart,
Very nice ! and the DxO does a great job in its basic form. Can it remove the Platform shadow from the Lawn ?:)

Sid

jes1111

The thing thats given me the most headaches over the years with wide angle lenses has been edge softness and its mostly been a problem in wide zooms. Im currently hunting around for a fast, fixed focal length wide angle and am not too worried if its a non auto focus either although light manual focus lenses I suspect will be very hard to find.

Have you tried DxO?

Edge softness is very challenging to correct as it can vary immensely between examples of the same lens - DxO has two sliders (Global and Local) so you can fine tune the correction. Works very well.

Bartman

Bart,
Very nice ! and the DxO does a great job in its basic form. Can it remove the Platform shadow from the Lawn ?:)

Sid

you guys are good. i saw that shadow too but the pics are for real estate listings so maybe it'll go unnoticed?? i think there's some sensor dust as well in the sky in a few of the pics from yesterday.

regarding fixed lenses, they're just as heavy and more expensive than the zooms. i thought about the 14mm since that would do in a lot of circumstances i encounter but there wasn't a cost or weight savings.