Installing a new ESC

gmahan3

I had a crash a couple weeks ago. I've finally got all the parts and the time to get it installed.

I didn't initially set up the system I'm flying. Would someone be help me out on how to pair the newly installed ESC with my WKM?

gmahan3

I may be overthinking the installation process. Our most ESC pretty much plug-and-play? My only real fear is that the controller will not recognize the Max/min levels from the radio. Once soldered and plugged into the Wkm will the flight controller inform The ESC of throttle control?

sk8brd

if its a dji esc then no calibration is needed. do a quick search on youtube of calibrating esc's theres a ton of video's of it

Last edited by a moderator:

gmahan3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 365

sk8brd

sorry i was assuming you were using a dji opto esc, they come calibrated from factory. with the maytech opto you will have to calibrate. Some esc's come factory calibrated some don't. i changed my initial reply so not to confuse others. Here is a example video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTdCVwZYHQ also check for motor rotation, if the motor spins the wrong way swap one of the motor wires going into the esc. basically unplug 2 bullet connectors from motor to esc and swap them with each other. test the motor rotation with props off for safety.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Take your props off, unplug the esc servo leads going to your wkm, unplug the throttle servo lead from wkm to receiver, plug the new esc's servo lead directly into the throttle channel of your receiver (make sure signal wire is right way up). With radio off move throttle to top position, plug power into copter, now turn on your radio, you'll hear a series of tones, wait for the single tone THEN move your throttle to the lowest position, you'll hear another series of tones, done. Unplug copter, turn off radio, replug all wires into original places and check to make sure everything spools up nice and even, replace props, go fly.

gmahan3

I'm a bone head and forgot to push the throttle up to the max then throttle down. So it's configured... just backwards. Is there a way to fix this?

tstrike

pendejo grande
you can't fix bonehead...

or you just redo it until you get it right. Pretty soon you'll get so proficient at it, you'll use it has a parlor trick to amuse your friends at cocktail party's.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmahan3

Valid counter point.

Seems like I need to recalibrate the ECS on M3 and change the throttle back to how I had it.

Now, if I only know how to recalibrate an ECS...

tstrike

pendejo grande
Now, if I only know how to recalibrate an ECS...

Take your props off, unplug the esc servo leads going to your wkm, unplug the throttle servo lead from wkm to receiver, plug the new esc's servo lead directly into the throttle channel of your receiver (make sure signal wire is right way up). With radio off move throttle to top position, plug power into copter, now turn on your radio, you'll hear a series of tones, wait for the single tone THEN move your throttle to the lowest position, you'll hear another series of tones, done. Unplug copter, turn off radio, replug all wires into original places and check to make sure everything spools up nice and even, replace props, go fly.

gmahan3

This look familiar :nevreness:

Im running a futaba 6208 thru sbus. That doesn't make a difference does it? I'll run thru that this evening.

gmahan3

I've got everything calibrated (to the best of my knowledge) When I run a motor test is sounds like M3 (motor which ESC in question is attached) isn't spinning as fast as the rest. I could be over sensitive and wanting to hear a difference. Any way to tell if this is true?