Impossible to balance carbon fiber props from Foxtech??

Glennyboy

A while ago I purchased some 1447 CB props from Foxtech, admittedly they are pretty cheap but still should be usable once balanced.

check out the video...Am i being to critical? ive sent this to foxtech but they are just ignoring me, is this amount of free play fitting on the stem normal?

also the last part of the vid is showing how they dont rest level when tightened!

Last edited by a moderator:

Railrode1

I bought some cf's from eBay and had to sand them to balance(side to side) but I think the hubs are off. Since they're stiffer, the vibration makes my hex touchy and affects the flight controller. I put the nylon fiber back on and all is smooth again. I haven't tried to further balance them yet. Plus they fit loose on the shaft so probably not centered. From my trial, buy the good stuff for better performance and less work.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I don't think you're being overly critical, but you are fighting the establish standard. Back in the day, we all bought props with undersized bores, and you had a reamer in your toolkit, and you had to ream it out to fit the motor shaft precisely. But in today's world, that's just too much effort, so we get these prop adaptors. Prop adaptors are stupid, because you get this problem you show. It is a problem, but it's also very common. It's pointless to even attempt to balance a propeller with that much slack in the mounting. But people do it because they just don't know any better. Foxtech probably won't do anything, because this is considered "normal".

Yes, you have one well-fitting prop to compare to, but that's pretty rare.

Glennyboy

I don't think you're being overly critical, but you are fighting the establish standard. Back in the day, we all bought props with undersized bores, and you had a reamer in your toolkit, and you had to ream it out to fit the motor shaft precisely. But in today's world, that's just too much effort, so we get these prop adaptors. Prop adaptors are stupid, because you get this problem you show. It is a problem, but it's also very common. It's pointless to even attempt to balance a propeller with that much slack in the mounting. But people do it because they just don't know any better. Foxtech probably won't do anything, because this is considered "normal".

Yes, you have one well-fitting prop to compare to, but that's pretty rare.

The props i use in the vid are actually these... http://www.uavshop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=321

other than needing balancing they are a tight fit and only £20 a pair!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Price considered, I love HQ props. Most don't even need balancing. Run quiet. They are pretty stiff too. The tips will break off if you hit something.
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/propellers/hq-prop-8x5-e-carbon-composite-prop.html

+1 on HQ PROPS. Unfortunately, I followed my love of their e-props into the abyss of their new wood offering. Worst props I've balanced so far. Very disappointing. I emailed the company and received no response.

I have a pair of cheaper carbon props up next (forget the brand). I can only imagine the joy that will bring....

Yes..... the quality of the prop, hub in particular, is very poor....
Just a thought......Have you ever tried filling the hub hole with JB weld, then re-drilling hub hole after the JBweld has set?

A while ago I purchased some 1447 CB props from Foxtech, admittedly they are pretty cheap but still should be usable once balanced.

check out the video...Am i being to critical? ive sent this to foxtech but they are just ignoring me, is this amount of free play fitting on the stem normal?

also the last part of the vid is showing how they dont rest level when tightened!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yes..... the quality of the prop, hub in particular, is very poor....
Just a thought......Have you ever tried filling the hub hole with JB weld, then re-drilling hub hole after the JBweld has set?

Unless you built a jig for the particular prop, I'd think it'd be hard to get a new hole perfect center. But I do love the idea of being able to start over with some of these props.

haha49

I would use a washer to force the prop to be further up that way you can pinch it with the locking nut for a snug fit. Now it can move a little left and right but nothing is 100 percent in life. I just balance my props with a prop balance put it on that balance by sanding the edge that doesn't spin into the wind. I just do 1 swipe with sandpaper from the hub to the tip then wipe the extra material off check it then keep doing it till it's close or perfect. Then I simply make sure they're nice and snug on the motors and I don't have any problems after that.