I hit the trifecta of AP errors

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I finally finished dialing in my 650 hex. I am very pleased at how it responds and how locked in it is with the GPS on. I took it out to do some AP over a section of deserted wetlands (Florida). I am using a GoPro Black with 32gb class 10 SD card, 30 FPS 1080P. I have three issues:

Jello - I believe I found the culprit, the gimbal (H3-2D) could rock slightly side to side. I modified the mounting plate so that I bolted down the side mounts. It is rock solid now. I also changed out the dampers from the grey ones (medium) to the white ones (soft). The props are Graupner, and are balanced horizontally and the at the hub. Hopefully this should minimize the jello issue, have not yet had a chance to try it out yet.

Horizontal Scrolling - I am not sure I am using the correct term, there are faint horizontal lines that scroll top to bottom. I believe my camera should have been point more towards the ground, but not really sure what causes this.

Pieces of the video drop out. There are a few places in the video where small pieces of the video go black, or get static. It only happened a couple of times and for a very short time. It is easily edited out. I'd like to know what causes it (bad sd card maybe?) so that I can prevent it. I have purchased a new SD card as they are only $20 to replace the current one.

If it would help I can put together a short video with all conditions and post to YouTube.

Thanks,

Lee

yeehaanow

For the horizontal scrolling, it sounds like the props passing through the sun in line with the lens which causes a flicker on the cameras with wide lenses and/or no lens hood. The rolling shutter makes it look weird.

What kind of SD card do you have? It might not be fast enough to handle video. If you set it on a lower setting does the problem go away?

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Are you using the video directly from the GoPro, or recording through the GCU and VTx?

If you're getting distortion and losing vidoe from the MicroSD straight out of the GoPRo, then it is probably the speed of your card.
If you're feeding through the GCU, skip it and feed directly from the GoPro USB to your VTx.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Card is rated for 10 mb/sec which when I bought it was the fastest. The new one I am getting is rated for 30 mb/sec. Yes, I am routing through GCU to OSD to VTX. The camera is where it is dropping data, as I get the drop outs when I am viewing the video from the SD card. Unfortunately I can't view the monitor and fly the hex at the same time, so no way to know if the data was transmitted through the VTX at the same time it drops on the video.

G

...guest...

ND8 filter takes care of the shadow effect from the props (your horizontal scrolling).

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
One of the limitations of the H3-2D gimbal is that you can't use a filter or lens hood due to balance issues. I'd love to put a ND or polarizing filter, but until some one makes one that weighs less than a couple grams I'm out of luck.

G

...guest...

I would check to make sure. The same is said for most gimbals. Certainly for the Tarot T-2D as well which is what I've used - that you can ONLY use a Hero 3 and nothing else otherwise it throws it off. So for kicks I threw on a GoPro lens protector ... tiny cover. Still worked. Ok, let's throw on a filter adapter ... worked. What about filter too? Worked. Plus filter cover too?? Worked. Ok, let's rubber band on a Gopro 2 ... still worked. And in NONE of these cases did I have to counter-balance anything.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Card is rated for 10 mb/sec which when I bought it was the fastest. The new one I am getting is rated for 30 mb/sec..

the gopro site lists the cards/speeds that are appropriate. The speed is key if you are utilizing the higher resolutions.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I would check to make sure. The same is said for most gimbals. Certainly for the Tarot T-2D as well which is what I've used - that you can ONLY use a Hero 3 and nothing else otherwise it throws it off. So for kicks I threw on a GoPro lens protector ... tiny cover. Still worked. Ok, let's throw on a filter adapter ... worked. What about filter too? Worked. Plus filter cover too?? Worked. Ok, let's rubber band on a Gopro 2 ... still worked. And in NONE of these cases did I have to counter-balance anything.

What filter adapter and filter are you using? I tried the Snake River adapter with a 52mm polarizing filter and that put the gimbal to sleep. Polar Pro used to offer a small polarizing filter that weighed about 8 gms, but they don't seem to offer it anymore.

Thanks,