I Assume it's the Gains...

jforkner

Hi Jack, wondering if maybe your landing gear is vibrating in the prop wash. I know you can't do anything about it now but did your ship do this before you put the LG on?
long shot but what the hell.

Good thought. But in reviewing video of the maiden flight of the quad, I note the same thing was going on. I should mention that the Naza & DJI ESCs used for the maiden flight were moved to my hexa, and this Naza and four DJI 30A ESCs are new---same motors though.

Jack

kloner

Aerial DP
dam, i got one 10" left over cause i quit, moved to 8 & 9 and it's a right hand ........Sorry dude.

i was making you a tape to show what it should look like in manual when it lifts off, if not, start with those gains first, but i ran into my own problem of the light hitting the barometer. always something

the first part of this till it lifts up almost out of view is mine in manual.

Last edited by a moderator:

jforkner

Hi Jack, wondering if maybe your landing gear is vibrating in the prop wash. I know you can't do anything about it now but did your ship do this before you put the LG on?
long shot but what the hell.

I may have to retract my last statement. I just viewed some earlier video from the F450 with the GoPro mounted on the forward tab of the lower plate and note that while there's a lot of "jello" in the video, the horizon is very stable. So you may be on to something. Unfortunately, the landing gear is glued to the bottom of the lower plate using some vibration dampening material. To verify the landing gear is the culprit, I'll have to break the bond---not the end-of-the-world; just I'd rather not have to do it. I've got about a week and a half to wait for more props, so I'll try to decide what to do.

The thing is the landing gear from Xpro Heli is used on their frame (not and F450) with great results. This leads me to believe it's not the LG, per se; but perhaps the combination of my F450 frame along with the LG. I got the LG in an attempt to eliminate the jello from my vids, which it did along with their vibration dampening pads. But now I've got a jello-free, relatively unstable platform.

Perhaps I need to break down and get a Discovery frame and start over???

Jack

jforkner

i was making you a tape to show what it should look like in manual when it lifts off, if not, start with those gains first, but i ran into my own problem of the light hitting the barometer. always something

the first part of this till it lifts up almost out of view is mine in manual.

That's pretty much what mine looked like the first couple times I tried Manual Mode. Don't know what happened today---somehow I "fat-fingered" it.

If I was to convert my existing frame to a TBS Discovery, with no intention of FPV, do you think my existing motors would work and would I need the TBS Core? I'd been thinking of converting over, perhaps the time is right.

Jack

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm concerned whatevers making it wobble is why you fat fingered it......

no intention of fpv would just be a frame, no core, and you can trim the frame top down more if you wanted to carry a bigger camera, it has a little board camera mount that can be cut off. There extremely tail heavy with a go pro to hover, there setup to fly....... but you could tweak where the battery goes.

if the 2215 were in good shape and not causing this, yea they'd do great slow forward flight, hovering..... if you hold under the motor on the foot of the leg and spin each motor, does any stand out gritty feeling?

kloner

Aerial DP
jack, see in this video how when the pros have a good blue background how fast they go from speeding up to neutral to slowing down? there all four smooth and even,,,,,, that's what your after. when there not you get the look yours has, super common with stock motors. mine ate bearings bad, you could feel em in your hand when you held the bottom and spun the prop. it was dramatic, broken race kinda vibes. you should see how small the balls are in there,,, smaller than a ball tip pin by like x4, micro

<br>

jforkner

None of the motors have a gritty feeling, but one seems to have a very slight bit of slop in it (i.e., I can move it ever so slightly side-to-side---not rotational, but side-to-side). It's so minor, I didn't think much of it, but it's there. When I decided to resurrect my F450 (after cannibalizing it to build a hexa), I considered a HoverThings HT-450, a TBS Discovery, and a QAV500. I didn't really want to spend the money for a new frame, and since I had the F450 frame, I thought I try that first. But now I'm wondering if I should go there. Either that or just live with the F450 issues. Heck, it's only money...

BTW, any particular reason you decided on Suppo motors?

Another thought...since this thread is pretty much just you & me, maybe we should just exchange email as opposed to dragging out this thread. I'll PM you my address in case you want to go that way.

Jack

SK1

I had the same thing happening to my F450 frame. I had Turnigy L2215J-900 motors on them, and I notice that after the bearings went bad the quad started that twitching movement and it messed up the video on
my GoPro. I changed all four motors and it went back to that smooth flying that it always had. Now I have to check all four Turnigy motors to find out w/c one had the bad bearing, but I have a feeling w/c one it is.
Those Turnigy motors have been flying for 9 months every weekend and had been smooth flying until those bad bearings showed up, and I also noticed that motors 1 and 3 have been hotter that 2 and 4, so my guess
is that one of those motors have the bad bearings. I am back to using the stock DJI motors and its flying smooth and giving me good videos.

kloner

Aerial DP
where you at in diego sk1?

He's gonna try a new set of motors, i think hes on the right track. mine kinda started that crap outta know where too. looked just like what he had

when i've seen heat in 2 opposing motors it's the props or the prop adapters. slow fly props are a heat maker, bent shaft/bad bearing on one will make both work harder to keep it form spinning outta control too.

SK1

I lived at Ocean View Hills and I usually fly at the wing by Montgomery Waller Rec Center, how about you?

kloner

Aerial DP
that's like otay? I'm in Lakeside, belong to weedwhackers and SD silent flyers, but i've gone to the dark side and fly long range fpv now,,,, none of em like me anymore. I got everything, but usually wind up at the colorado river makin my next gopro clip ripping down something that looks interesting.

SK1

Its an the end of Palm Avenue down south close to the border. I've seen your videos and I like to fly fpv, too, need to save up for fpv equipment. Right now I just fly los and I don't belong to any club, I just like flying by the park close to home.