Hybrid multi-rotor , gas engine for lift and electric motors for control

Although I think it is very difficult to achieve, but my Boss is looking for 2.5 hours duration .. he has deep pockets with too little patience .. also very stubborn when it comes to "it is difficult or cannot be done " ..

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
It could be done today with an 800-1000 size single rotor. Well, maybe not *today*, but a couple month development project with quite high probability of success. If an electric helicopter can fly for 2.5 hours (and they have), a gas one can. A 700 gasser can fly for about 20-30 minutes on 630cc of gas. Extrapolating that, it would require 4.7L of fuel to fly for 2.5 hours. That would weigh 3.5kg, which is pretty trivial for a 700+ size helicopter to lift.

I also think that other platform types, such as a hybrid MR could possibly do it, but with much more development work. I'm also interested in exploring platforms such as the Singlecopter or CoaxCopter Ducted fan with thrust vectoring nozzles. Such as the Honeywell T-Hawk:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/a-new-singlecopter-airframe-support-for-arducopter

This platform already has basic support in Arducopter. ;)

Thanks a lot for the reply ... this is really useful info ..

On another note .. there is something interesting I've noticed in this hybrid Quadrocopter and I'd like to share it with you and see if it is really possible

During my study of the videos I've noticed that the Radio program used to fly this hybrid MR is a HELICOPTER not a FIXED WING as it should , and also I examined it thoroughly and I couldn't find a flight controller .. so the conclusion is.... This smart guy is flying this Hybrid MR without a gyro .. using a helicopter (90 degree swash mixing) and maybe the center engine provides additional stability .. with its weight being the majority of the AUW ....

Please correct me ..

Update :

the man himself just told me that he uses an FC .. but why use a helicopter program instead of fixing wing as all FCs require I assume

Khaled

Last edited by a moderator: