HUGE NEWS FOR US!!!! Drones up to 25 pounds legal to fly for U.S. safety agencies.

View attachment 4299

I don't know if you guys saw this, but this is absolutely huge for us and certainly a step in the right direction. This stuff came out today, and it's absolutely awesome. Finally the US is catching up....

For the whole article, check it out on Bloomberg here.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-05-14 at 9.57.35 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-05-14 at 9.57.35 PM.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 349

Tahoe Ed

That is good to know but it is only for public agencies. I fly a 5kg hexa and this ruling does not apply to me. I have heard that for private use the limit may be as low as 5lbs. Even a small quad with gimbal and video downlink can come close to that. If they give us half the public agency weight limit I would be happy.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
That is good to know but it is only for public agencies. I fly a 5kg hexa and this ruling does not apply to me. I have heard that for private use the limit may be as low as 5lbs. Even a small quad with gimbal and video downlink can come close to that. If they give us half the public agency weight limit I would be happy.

Takeoff weight on my Cinestar 6 is just a shade over 9 pounds with a Nex 5N, as long as they don't go less than 10 pounds I'll be happy. What worries me more is what kind of licensing and registration will they impose on commercial operators, I'd hate to have to get a private pilots license just to fly a multi commercially, a lot of $ involved there.

Ken

mongo

lost soul
" Drones must fly within 400 feet (122 meters) of the ground, remain in sight of the operator and stay clear of airports, the FAA said"

the bitter that comes with the sweet.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thats the general rule in most of Europe and is not unreasonable. As for licensing for commercial use I think it would be a must. With out legislation and some from of accountability you will see stuff like we saw in the UK with the knobs flying over the Royal Guardsmen.

As for weight well here is is 7kg with out airframe testing and up to 25 kg with. The above 7kg class requires more qualifications but seeing I only fly below the 7kg limit I dont know exactly what they are.

At least it is a step in the right direction.

Dave

Dewster

lol.. The technology is out there and more accessible to the masses. I didn't hear about the report of UAV flying over The Royal Guard. I'll have to look up that story. I know protestors were flying an AR Drone to watch and record police activity. The FAA considers it to be an Unmanned Aerial System. Laws/regulations always have a hard time catching up to new technology.