Hoverfly How to power the rx?

panino

Is RX unit powered through the HF pro board?
If I use hf pro board with gps board i have no inputs left in my R8000+TM1000 to power the RX..
Thanx
and a happy New Year!!!!
Panino

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
More specifically, the power that goes into your board from the main battery does not power anything but the board/gps board. The rx gets its power from one of the BEC outputs from your ESC's. You dont want all of them outputting at the same time from the diagram shows but I know a few that have done this without issues. All the + and - terminals are bussed in your rx and the HFP so any one of those gets power, they all get power.

Aerovideo

When I make wiring harnesses for my quads I usually solder in a couple of the little red JST connectors. I've run a standalone turnigy BEC off of that and connected it to one of the open ESC ports on the HFPro. Of course if you're making an octocopter this won't work but as anything else where you have a spare esc port it will work.

panino

Yeah, it`s an octo.
Looks like I forgot to mention a bunch of really important details, sorry..
Octo + (mikrokopter XL frame)
8x MK3638 - black Brushless Motors
8x hobbywing 40A OPTO ESC
homemade octopus power distribution
HF pro black board
HF GPS
DX 8 Spektrum with R8000 and TM 1000
Thnx for the help guys, this would be mission impossible without all the inputs I have got from this forum.
Cheers!

panino

This is the bird
Or at least bird`s nest of wire mesh

Can I use power line (red wire) from the bec and connect it instead of the red wire from one of the ESCs?
Or maybe get a 40A hobbywing regular ESC with bec and change one of the OPTO ESCs with it?
pfff
First multirotor build, what can I say..
Thnx

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
You are better off keeping identical ESCs. Get a BEC and yes you can connect it to the HFP on one of the red wires where your opto esc's connect.

panino

Thnx JZ!

BEC is already in the loop. Its under the red battery wire on the picture.Its this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16663__HobbyKing_HKU5_5V_5A_UBEC.html

I also see no reason why that would not work.
I am wondering, what is the red wire for on the OPTO BEC signal cable?

What about powering the HF board?
I have two more outs on the power distribution..
Should I use 7.4 BEC or feed it to 4S? I have a 3s receiver lipo I could use too.
Soldering more than ever in my life anyway..
hehe

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Feed the HFP board itself direct from your 4s. Then you will have your flight pack voltage show up on the osd. The red wire on opto esc's sometimes will terminate in the esc pcb on a pad that doesn't connect to anything. Some opto escs (like my rctimers) don't even connect to the pcb. It's just cut inside the heat shrink.

ghaynes

Panino

If your ESC's are three wires, Ground, Power, Signal what I did was with one motor I kept all of the wires in the connector and connected that to the HF board. For the other seven I simply pulled the middle red power wire out of the Berg connector (carefully pry up the tab on the connector and gently pull the wire out) then folded it over and taped it to the same wire set. Keeps it out of the way, no shorts and able to slide it back in if ever needed. When I was talking to HF about why use only one the answer was as someone else stated. In some instances connecting all 8 is no problem, in other situations it does cause problem. Use one and it eliminates any issues.

Plug in a bec from your arrangement and confirm that you are actually getting power. If not due to the design of the BEC then you will need the separate source of power. More wires :)

This would be a good question to send to Hoverfly.

panino

I guess it would be odd to leave the connector hanging on just signal wire..
Anyways just realized that one of the ESCs is not working..Ordered two..
Now the waiting part

panino

Thnx for the reply
I use OPTO ESCs, they do not have BEC built into them. So no power from that side to power the RX.

Ill go with the BECs red and black wire on one of the ESC connectors going to the HF FCB. The board should act as I have plugged a normal ESC with built in BEC into it.
I also think that its better to have a separate power source for the receiver.