how to initiate gps flight?

Quad= Quanum Venture

Tx: Spectrum dx6i, Rx: spectrum ar6210, Naza Mlite flight controller

Motors= multistar mt2213 935 kv

ESC= afro esc 20amp x 4

8''x4.5

Current batt= 2200 mah 3s

I have about 25 minutes of fliht after going through all the setup. It was a bit of a learning curve to setup the dx6i with the naza because it only has 2 position switches but i was able to get the gps middle failsafe and the atti working on my u channel. Flight is great its super stable full control but now i want to do more with the naza.

I have the manual but am having trouble understanding how to make the gps work.

Channel u has the 5 modes in this order

gps failsafe atti failsafe manual

My questions

1. So if the unit is equiped with a gps than atti modes is always gps?

2. How do you change between atti and gps atti when there is no option on the u channel?

3. Why is there 2 failsafe spots on the u channel.

If i want to fly in gps what exactly do i do when starting. I have the light (led) desription literature however it decodes the lights but does not explain how to get going.

With my tx i setup to have gps failsafe and atti modes available. I cant get any difference between gps and atti mode when flying they both seem to do the same through.

Any explanation of the naza flight modes would be great. Like i said i understand how to set it control the u channel i just need some guidance on how to use it.

Thanks

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Your radio is really geared toward plane flying - and is not ideal for setting up to work with the Naza. But I believe you should be able to finagle it to work.

The flight modes are setup in the Naza assistant with the Naza connected to the computer. You assign the flight mode channel to a switch. The fact that your radio only has 2-position switches makes it a little more difficult.

When you look at the assistant page for setting up the radio switch - you need to use the switch channel end-points to adjust the parameters so that the highlight (blue highlight) lands on the modes you want. In your case - adjust so that the switch makes the assistant highlight ATTI and GPS modes. Move the end-point adjustment until you get a solid highlight for the 2 modes.

When that is set correctly, when you change the switch, the modes change. Make sure you follow the directions for calibrations the GPS/compass before flying, and wait long enough for the GPS to gain sufficient satellites and a home lock.

There is probably a step with mixes in the radio that may allow for setting up the 3rd flight mode - manual. But that would be more involved. Get this set up first and let us know how you make out.

Thanks

Ok
I understand the radio is not ideal but I have set it up to get 3 modes with 2 switches I have
gps, atti and failsafe working. I can make the 3rd flight mode into manual however I didn't think I would use it much and wanted to make the failsafe return to home work.
Last night I flew for 10 minutes and when I would use gps mode it seemed to stay more still than atti but that's where im confused.
So gps mode is atti gps?
Then atti is just atti with no gps?

The light description page is where my comprehension is lost.
Exactly what do I do before I fly. Setup power everything on and then im waiting for what led indicator to know gps is working?

thanks

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you have configured 2 switches to work - that's great. You are going to want to test the flight modes on the bench before you fly (props off). Switching the mode switches should show the correct corresponding color on the LED for the mode you want to be in. Turning off the radio should make the LED show that it has gone to failsafe. For fail safe, you will need to set your radio/receiver to have it's failsafe engaged. This will trigger when the radio signal is lost. For the RTH function - you need to enable "enhanced failsafe" in the assistant.

The LED descriptions are listed on page 43 of the MANUAL: For the GPS, you will wait to allow it to gain satellites, which is depicted by red flashes, until they finally stop (more than 6 satellites). Then you have to wait a little longer (sometimes more than a little o_O) for it to gain its home lock.

You will also want to do the calibration when you get to the field. It starts on page 35 of the manual.

Atti mode uses the sensors to help keep the MR level. But is not effected by GPS. GPS mode is Atti plus GPS, and will stay both level, and add the GPS to the mix, helping to keep the MR level and in it's location if there is no stick input to move it.

ok so,

I am now able to let the quad sit for a minute and get the ma satlelite readingon the led. Its blinks green only when in gps mode and acording to the manuak this is as good of a gps lock as i can get. Atti mode works great the quad is very dailed in after making a few gain changes to increase my response.
When i go into gps mode you can see that it is trying to work but is no where near the .8 meter tolerance that it claims to have. With light winds it holds ok( no T.B.E. toilet bowl effect however it basically starts to drift in no particular direction after time? I have gone through the compass calibration successfully but the gps just isnt that great.

Any thoughts?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What is the drift like? Have you allowed it to go for a bit? There can be a very slight circular drift - meaning it does a slight circle that can be quite large (5 meters diameter or more). This can be from a slight misalignment of the GPS puck (magnetic declination).

Also, when you say green is blinking - do you mean like they describe as sticks not centered?

I get a single green blink which ( i believe) indicates good gps with sticks centered.
It does not do a circle or t.b.e. it just slowly drifts in a different direction everytime. Not bad or fast but drifts

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ok, got it.

If it's random in its drift - that's not the issue I was mentioning.

Have you checked the balance and CoG of the craft itself? Motors are all level etc?

I now have about 80 minutes flight time onthe unit and overall perforance is great.
Still drifts mildly to the right 50% of the time.
C.G. is good very close to perfect.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure what it would be if the CoG and motor leveling is good.

50% is still too much - but 80 hours of fun should help make up for it :)

How far does it drift? And does it stop on its own when the drift occurs?