How does this keep happening... what can we do about it?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
OMG. stunning views BUT I really hope he had permissions to do that. If he did London watch out here we all come!

Av8Chuck

Do you know that he didn't have permission to shoot this?

I just did a shoot at a major International US airport and did about 10 aerial shots. The people on the airliners that were taxing by could certainly see what we were doing and if any of them caught our flights on their cell phones and posted it to YouTube I guarantee you that I will be vilified. They don't know what permissions and supervision I had, nor will I be given the opportunity to explain.

My point is as much as I sympathize with "In the UK we have a direct route for aerial permissions for comecial work. These permissions are granted by companies sticking to the CAA (your FAA) rules. A very similar but even more daring flight in spain resulted in the total ban of civilian UAV's over night. We don't want that happening here." Maybe not all the blame should be leveled at the RC pilot, if he broke the law he should be held accountable, but maybe a lot of the ignorance is with the people who banned it in the first place.

When a similar thing happened in the US the judge ruled that the FAA was over reaching and that they did not have the right to regulate commercial RC operations. That's not to say that there won't be regulations in the future however there's a process they must go through to create the regulations and they don't get to make them unilaterally.

One of the founders of the US said it best "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." Any one of us should have the right to record the kinds of vistas that MR's are uniquely able to provide.

You guys in England can go the his office and ask him "WTF?" When I was at NAB I told the guy flying the Phantom over the heads of the crowd that he needed to stay within the confined area designated for flight demo's. He ignored me and some rather attractive young lady started asking me if I was interested in their new S1000. I forgot about my rage at the pilots ignorance and bought three...