Hoverfly Hovwrfly Pro (ver 1) - how good is the 2 axis gimbal control?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey guys!

I recently got a Y6 machine with a Hoverfly Sport and I was so impressed with the stability I bought a Hoverfly Pro (ver1) board.
How good is the 2 axis gimbal control?
Will it be sufficient for decent AV work?

I am totally impressed with the stability of the sport, I can't wait to get the Pro flying!

Thoughts? Advice?
Thanks in advance!

VytasandRio

Damn, that's an expensive FC, why did you get this one as opposed to a Multiwii or KK or even Naza. Not to knock Hoverfly, but you can get 20 KK's or 10 Multiwiis for the cost of the Pro. In what way is it superior?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
If you were just making a disposable quad then maybe the KK would be fine. but the second you start putting real money in the air you want to know that every loose end is covered. Hoverfly uses top notch parts and has a much better QC than any Chinese company. Those KK's are spit out in the thousands without a worry because of the price point. I would say your probability of failure is higher with cheaper parts in general but who knows, maybe you would get lucky and have your KK hold your $5000 gimbal/camera investment up there just fine. The Hoverfly is really sold with larger helis too and is very easy to tune from the tx. as for the gimbal control, it is the best I have ever used. My Xaircraft was leaps and bounds better than DJI, which has the worst gimbal control of them all. The Hoverfly is even better in that it has tons of control for different setups.

I will say that I very surprised the sport doesnt have auto level. At $200 one would assume this is a must. I dont really know the thinking behind this but i am sure they have there reasons.

Yes, The hoverfly Pro is the best for AV work on the market as far as I can tell, unless you need advanced GPS operation, but for AV work I would not think you would need GPS. The 2 axis stabilizer on the pro is probably not as good as a HF gimbal or other gimbal mounted stabilizer, but I think it is great for one person operation when I shoot stills. V1 (green) is just as good as any other HFP out there.

Stacky

In terms of the in built gimbal controls this was done yesterday. This is raw footage from my gopro2 on a gimbal I had just made so lots of things are not set up completely so there a few little things to tidy up which give a bit of jitter when lifting off etc. These things are related to the stiffness of the gimbal to my frame. Also the HFP gimbal setup was done quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zC0QT6TFWU

However for me and my experience with other built in gimbal controls within a FC the HFP has been the best.

With respect to the other poster wanting to know whats superior, let me put it this way, of all the money I have spent on multirotors in the last two years the 2 best things I have spent money on have been my 2 HFP boards. Nothing else i have tried has come even close to the flight quality I get from my HFP boards. Not even close.

Built in Gimbal controls, AL and AH. Built in OSD. All configurations covered. Continual and ongoing free firmware upgrades and improvements. Direct contact online with the engineers who designed the board and wrote the firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hey guys!

I recently got a Y6 machine with a Hoverfly Sport and I was so impressed with the stability I bought a Hoverfly Pro (ver1) board.
How good is the 2 axis gimbal control?
Will it be sufficient for decent AV work?

I am totally impressed with the stability of the sport, I can't wait to get the Pro flying!

Thoughts? Advice?
Thanks in advance!

Hey SleepyC, welcome to the site.

The Hoverfly boards are great stuff, they fly really well and the 2 axis camera outputs are as good as anything out there. There's a learning curve in the tuning of the camera outputs but the control is excellent once it's all dialed in.

There's a video stuck at the top of the Hoverfly area that shows how the camera gimbal parameters are set up. Also, the latest PRO ver2 firmware also works on the ver1 board so when you upload the firmware just select the PRO black board V2 and it will then allow you to select the latest firmware to upload. If you select the V1 board in the update client it won't give you access tot he latest V2 firmware.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey SleepyC, welcome to the site.

The Hoverfly boards are great stuff, they fly really well and the 2 axis camera outputs are as good as anything out there. There's a learning curve in the tuning of the camera outputs but the control is excellent once it's all dialed in.

There's a video stuck at the top of the Hoverfly area that shows how the camera gimbal parameters are set up. Also, the latest PRO ver2 firmware also works on the ver1 board so when you upload the firmware just select the PRO black board V2 and it will then allow you to select the latest firmware to upload. If you select the V1 board in the update client it won't give you access tot he latest V2 firmware.

Excellent to hear.
I have a Naza with GPS and I have had nothing but issues.
My Hoverfly Sport on my Y6 has been a pleasure. i love it.
I am happy to hear that the Pro's gimbal will be sufficient.

i run flyinggiants.com and do most of the video and pic coverage for RCGroups.com and after 8 years of Giant Scale planes, multi rotors have reignited my passion for RC.
I intend to cover all the GS an Heli events in 2013 with an aerial platform, and so far I think the Hoverfly products will be at the helm!

I have spent 2 weeks trying to setup a DJi Naza with GPS and a F550 with my A9 , and I spent 4 minutes setting up my Y6 with my Hoverfly sport.
It's seriously night and day.

I can not wait to get my HF pro into the platform and in the air!!!

Thanks fellas. You seem like a great group of guys!
SleepyC

dzwiss

I am also very happy with my Hoverfly Pro and Hoverfly GPS boards. I am approaching close to 200 hours on them without a crash or a hitch, even in poor flying conditions and taking some chances. I also have to say with any issues I did have, I felt like I had a solid team behind me both here and from Hoverfly when resolving them (and very promptly). Just read and read and read...the latest manuals, the support site, be ready to ask questions if your unsure about anything. Pay attention to the problems that some people did have and think of solutions that make sense or see how they were resolved. Always fill out a support ticket as well. I am sure you will have a great experience like the rest of us.

David