Hobbywing Platinum 30Amp Opto ESCs getting warm

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I have 6 Hobbywing Platinum 30Amp Opto ESCs running 6 Axi 2814-22 motors, swinging 12x6 Graupners on a standard hex 680mm frame (AUW about 3000g) and they are getting warm after light flying and hovering.

I ran the configuration through the Ecalc for multirotors and it calculated ok. Amp draw at max is supposed to be about 22Amps. So this seems to be 27% headroom. So not too bad.

Is it normal that the ESCs are getting warm?
Should I have gone with 40Amp ESCs?
Could the Ecalc be wrong?

Any advice?

kloner

Aerial DP
with the motors/props you have here you wanted 40's. you have 28% headroom hovering, pitch it up into forward flight and i bet you can take it into numbers you don't realize

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
with the motors/props you have here you wanted 40's. you have 28% headroom hovering, pitch it up into forward flight and i bet you can take it into numbers you don't realize

Oh, I thought my max head rook was 28%, this makes me nervous. Better switch then.
Thanks Kloner.

BTW, Kloner, can you suggest a good 40Amp OPTO ESC. Something Comparable to my Hobbywing Platinum 30Amp Optos?[h=2]Thanks.[/h]

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Oh, I thought my max head rook was 28%, this makes me nervous. Better switch then.
Thanks Kloner.

BTW, Kloner, can you suggest a good 40Amp OPTO ESC. Something Comparable to my Hobbywing Platinum 30Amp Optos?Thanks.

I think I'm going to bite the cookie and put the Phoenix Edge Lite 50s on my Hex. I know people were using the Ice Lite 50 so I'm hoping the Edge should be a good choice to. Will be using this with the Naza 2.
Has anyone heard anything of the contrary regarding the Edge Lite apposed to the Ice Lite?

Ordering the Edge Lites today Ouch, that's expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
have you ordered these yet? the castle ESC's are generally considered a waste of money as the standard CheeSC's (chinese ESC's) work fine. For the motors you're running the 40A Turnigy Plush or HobbyWing Plat Pro ESC's should work well and not break the bank.

Bart

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
have you ordered these yet? the castle ESC's are generally considered a waste of money as the standard CheeSC's (chinese ESC's) work fine. For the motors you're running the 40A Turnigy Plush or HobbyWing Plat Pro ESC's should work well and not break the bank.

Bart

What about these? http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=173
they're the Pentium instead of the platinum, but they are OPTOs. Hope the shipping is fast.

In terms of the CC Edge 50s;
I sent an Email in to have them ordered and I am supposed to pick them up. He's letting me pay in cash so they will be cheaper than most. $75. each. However I finally found the platinum pro from a chinese distributer. Looks like a good price. Maybe I can cancel my

Bartman

What about these? http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=173
they're the Pentium instead of the platinum, but they are OPTOs. Hope the shipping is fast.

In terms of the CC Edge 50s;
I sent an Email in to have them ordered and I am supposed to pick them up. He's letting me pay in cash so they will be cheaper than most. $75. each. However I finally found the platinum pro from a chinese distributer. Looks like a good price. Maybe I can cancel my

personally, for the motors you're running I'd go with the Turnigy Plush.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2165__TURNIGY_Plush_40amp_Speed_Controller.html

Not because they're necessarily better but they'll work and will be less expensive. I'm not familiar with the HW Pentium ESC's.

buy an extra one for future repairs or in case one doesn't work quite as advertised. it's a good idea for any of the stuff we're using so as to be sure you can replace something that gets broken without worrying that new versions have made it impossible to get an exact replacement.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
personally, for the motors you're running I'd go with the Turnigy Plush.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2165__TURNIGY_Plush_40amp_Speed_Controller.html

Not because they're necessarily better but they'll work and will be less expensive. I'm not familiar with the HW Pentium ESC's.

buy an extra one for future repairs or in case one doesn't work quite as advertised. it's a good idea for any of the stuff we're using so as to be sure you can replace something that gets broken without worrying that new versions have made it impossible to get an exact replacement.

I put the wrong one's up there. I ment to put this one up: http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46
This is the platinum. One of your first suggestions.
I'm not really speaking from experience, but I've heard the Hobbywing are great and the Platinum pro are supposed be good.
The reason why I was thinking about the CC Edge in the first place is because this is for a pro rig, and I need it to be reliable and not crash worthy.

So; sounds like you are more inline with the turnagy
Than the Platinum. I was going order 7 if one fails.

When I read the specs on the Platinum, they look a little better for my purpose. No BEC and a burst limit of 60Amps. But this is only in writing, I don't have practical experience with these ESCs.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I hear you about the Turnagy, I"m still wondering about the Hobbywing Platinum Pro.
Hobby Parts returned my call today and mentioned these ones; http://helidirect.com/ipeaka-sk-hv40a-opto-esc-w-simonk-firmware-p-30747.hdx
Problem is, I don't like ordering from Hobby Partz as the shipping to Canada takes way too long. Shipping from China is real fast especially if the vender uses DHL.
I can get the Edge for $75. a pop, which isn't bad and I can have by mid next week. I can get some thing from China by mid next week to Hobby Parts might take 2 weeks.

I need something for a professional rig that must be super reliable.

kloner

Aerial DP
because of the way the ice esc's comunicate i had a hell of a time making them work right with a mutirotor. i'd personaly look at maytag or even the ipeaka, am running em both with zero problems

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
because of the way the ice esc's comunicate i had a hell of a time making them work right with a mutirotor. i'd personaly look at maytag or even the ipeaka, am running em both with zero problems

Hely Kloner, do you have a link for the Maytag, when I do a search all I see is appliances. I tried ESC and Electric Speed Controller, and still just appliances.

Bartman

Hely Kloner, do you have a link for the Maytag, when I do a search all I see is appliances. I tried ESC and Electric Speed Controller, and still just appliances.
at the end of the day, if you ask someone who has a good experience with Turnigy, they'll tell you to go with Turnigy. If someone has had a good experience with Maytag, they'll tell you to buy Maytag.

I've been through dozens of Turnigy Plush at this point and have had maybe two that were dodgy (a 30A on a Tiger MT2814! go figure). Add to that they're not expensive just for the sake of being expensive and I'm in love. Castle hasn't had a 100% relibility rate (with other builders that I confer with) so for me that means there's just no justification for the money. I'm currently using Tiger ESC's and they've been great but I think they may be a repackaged HobbyWIng Platinum Pro so my next build may use the 40A Plat Pro to see if they can handle high pole-count motors like the TIger ESC's do (currently using Tiger 30A with TIger MT4008-18 motors, no problems at all and sharp throttle response).

I know for sure that 30A ESC's aren't adequate for the 2814 class of motors with 12" props and kind of real weight being hauled. 40A is a perfect size for that class of motor unless you're really going to being stressing them out with high weights and high outside air temps but then they're probably not the right motor for the build.

Bart

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Yes, I'm finding out that the 30Amps are not the right ESC.
I took the advice from the vender that sold me my Axi 2814-22s. But in hind site I'm realizing that he only sells 30Amp ESCs so he was just trying to sell his own stock despite the risk to customers. The other warning sign was he was trying to tell me that he was developing a new Brushless gimbal with his partner. I thought this was cool until he sent me some pics and I called him on the fact that he was going to be selling the Got Heli Gimbal for. He was charging $950.00 for that gimbal. When I called him on this then he finally admitted that his gimbal was in fact the Got Heli Gimbal but he was adding silicon dampeners and his service would great because he dosent' have a Chinese accent. I said, ok, but why the $325. dollar mark up, he said, "it's because I'm buying them at $625.00." So I said, "he's not really your partner then?" He had nothing to add.
There are some Canadian retailers who I really trust, but then there are others who think that other Canadians don't know anything about this industry and try to screw fellow Canadians.
I'm a Canadian, who grew up in the U.S. and I've found that many Canadians are all to happy to throw each other under the bus. (rant over)

I really thank you guys for your advice.
I'm narrowing it down to iPeaka or Hobby Wing Platinum Pros. Bartman; You wrote "I'm currently using Tiger ESC's and they've been great but I think they may be a repackaged HobbyWIng Platinum Pro"
I'm using the 30Amp Platinum Pros (not from the above mentioned vender) are really crisp and smooth, but the heat build up has me worried. Really trying to find the iPeaka from a Chinese Vender so I don't have to wait 2.5 weeks for delivery. I found these ones http://www.iflight-rc.com/product/iPeaka-ESC-iPeaka SK-ESC-iPeaka-SK-HV40A-OPTO.html and I think the SK means SimonK. Anyone use this vender? Are they reliable?

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Well,

I'm having trouble finding good 40Amp ESCs that are in stock in China.
I did find these, but I know nothing of these: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/dys-40a-opto-escsimonk-firmware-p-982.html
The price is amazing.
I like the price of these to, but they don't say anything about the whether they are 400Hz or not.
I think I'll pay a little more and get the T-motor 40Amp ESCs, they say 400Hz.
Bartman, did you need to program the T-Motor ESCs or were they ready to go into the Multitrotor?
I found a place to get the T-Motors, so I'm Happy about that at least.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
OK,

I've found 3 different suppliers that have 3 different ESCs in stock. Trying to decide tonight.