Hobbyking Extra Fees

trec-r

I made a couple of orders from Hobbyking recently. Later I was surprised to see to extra and separate transaction on my bank account. Both less than $2 US. I contacted Hobbyking and got a cryptic response and that I should check with my bank. My bank is checking into it. Have you ever had Hobbyking charge you extra fees? If so, what are they for?

Thanks
Richie

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I made a couple of orders from Hobbyking recently. Later I was surprised to see to extra and separate transaction on my bank account. Both less than $2 US. I contacted Hobbyking and got a cryptic response and that I should check with my bank. My bank is checking into it. Have you ever had Hobbyking charge you extra fees? If so, what are they for?

Thanks
Richie

those might be international transaction fees.

bart

chipwich

Sometimes a vendor will send a small charge, usually around a $, to validate the card before sending the whole thing. Regardless, I've pretty much gone to PayPal for everything, so that I don't have my card numbers sitting on a bunch of insecure databases.

If i recall correctly from my last order, on HobbyKing's payment form it says an x% fee will be charged, but waived if you use Paypal. Since I always use PayPal, I promptly diregarded and placed the order.

trec-r

Thanks for the feedback. One of the orders that had an extra fee was shipped from the USA warehouse which is in the same state that I live in. The other was shipped from Hong Kong. One order was on debit while the other was paypal. I don't mind extra fees if I know about them. What I don't like is when they appear as extra transactions on my bank account that I did not know where coming. These were above and beyond the totals displayed in the checkout process. Not a fan of that. However not sure where I would take my business otherwise.

Thanks
Richie

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am very doubtful HK would have any extra charges that were not on the payments page.

trec-r

Any ideas? If there is a reason I would not mind. But I sure don't like random extra charges on my bank account.

08/13/2013 DB DEBIT / 08-11-13 HEXTRONIK LIMIT HONG KONG HK $115.70
08/13/2013 FEE / POS 0813 0206 539293 HEXTRONIK LIMIT HONG KONG HK $0.92

08/12/2013 WITHDRAW / PAYPAL INST XFER 130811 $56.05
08/14/2013 WITHDRAW / PAYPAL INST XFER 130813 $1.89

Then my wife check an older order and found a similar charge.
07/22/2013 DB DEBIT / 07-19-13 HEXTRONIK LIMIT HONG KONG HK $36.83
07/22/2013 FEE / POS 0721 0151 591855 HEXTRONIK LIMIT HONG KONG HK $0.29

Macsgrafs

I think you said you are using a debit card & not a credit card, that's what the bissue is here. I always use a credit card but via paypal & then you don't get a 2% transaction fee...hope that helps?

Ross

Either this is the fee HobbyKing states on their page, as macsgrafs stated. Or I think this is your own bank's fees. My bank charges a percentage for all foreign transactions, which is why I switched to using PayPal from credit card. That way I'm not getting charged any from either HobbyKing, or my bank.

trec-r

The answer that I just got from HK is that it is an Absorb fee. Last time I checked those fees were illegal here(Washington State), not sure if that is a federal or state law. Does it even matter if they are international? One of the things I still don't understand is that I was charged more for a smaller order when I paid on PayPal.

trec-r

Talked with the Bank today about these fees. I was told they are conversion fees or conversion corrections. Basicly it is because they have to convert the money from one currency to another. There is no way to avoid them. They will vary depending on the country and the conversion rate at the time of purchase.

Talked with the Bank today about these fees. I was told they are conversion fees or conversion corrections. Basicly it is because they have to convert the money from one currency to another. There is no way to avoid them. They will vary depending on the country and the conversion rate at the time of purchase.
See post #9 to possibly avoid the fees