Hobby King Not safe to deal with

DennyR

We all know that Hobby King don't miss a trick when it comes to low budget dirt bag dealings. But this takes the biscuit. I ordered a bunch of stuff and they sent it omitting a small mini drill set. So I informed them of the short fall and they replied after about a week and said "Take a photo of your package and then weigh it on some kitchen scales so that we can check the weight against what we sent you. How many grams can a few mini drills weigh? Less than a kitchen scale would see!

No mention of "sorry for the inconvenience we will send you a set today"

So they want more bad publicity than they already have. Now they can have it.

Anyone else had trouble with this outfit?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I think everyone knows what international slime balls these guys are. Cheap comes with a cost. I will say I ordered from them recently and for the first time I actually got my stuff and nothing was broken. But I did pay for 3 day air. They shipped it 3 days after I ordered it. So yes, 3 day air , but no guarantee of WHEN that 3 days starts! I thoroughly hate those guys.

Also should add that I have been getting massive spam in Chinese ever since I made this last purchase. I have no other Chinese purchases direct from China.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugilt

I haven't had an issue with them yet. I even sent back a bad vtx and they refunded the cost. You should get on the live chat and talk to them if you want a quick response. I don't expect any customer service for the prices I pay there.

Stacky

2 years buying from HK, one issue which was a wing cam which they replaced without problem. Other than that no problems at all. However I know one guy who had a hell of a battle for a large order that got lost. Took him 4 months to get resolved. Interestingly all my orders are relatively small, get to me quickly and without fuss. I wonder if the bigger orders are where the battles are?

Efliernz

Pete
I have spent way too much them over the last 5 years. I have never not received an order. A delay due to poor counting by them delayed an order by 2 months (was in stock... but it really wasn't). Sometimes it's here in a week... more often 2-3 weeks.
I accept that some really cheap items are exactly that... cheap, but down in NZ, we don't have a local hobby supermarket to go to for rc stuff. Just smallish boutique shops with boutique pricing most of the time.
Batteries are something that has been awesome for me. I have done part-time AP for over 5 years. The worst batteries I've used were expensive named brands - Thunderpower + Hyperion from the lhs. Never again. Saying that, I have only had bad results from Nanotechs...

Pete

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
.....................Batteries are something that has been awesome for me. ......................Saying that, I have only had bad results from Nanotechs...

Pete
Did you mean to say you've only had bad results or good results? I haven't had any complaints about the nano-techs, just curious if you said what you meant to say.

bart

Efliernz

Pete
Pete
Did you mean to say you've only had bad results or good results? I haven't had any complaints about the nano-techs, just curious if you said what you meant to say.

bart

My Nano's (4S4000) have all failed a cell or lost 40% charge within 20 cycles. My best run has been with basic 25 + 30C blue Zippys.

Pete

AustinFPV

FPV Recon
We all know that Hobby King don't miss a trick when it comes to low budget dirt bag dealings. But this takes the biscuit. I ordered a bunch of stuff and they sent it omitting a small mini drill set. So I informed them of the short fall and they replied after about a week and said "Take a photo of your package and then weigh it on some kitchen scales so that we can check the weight against what we sent you. How many grams can a few mini drills weigh? Less than a kitchen scale would see!

Not once. But I had countless problems with internet customers trying to scam my business in every possible way imaginable for years and years.

Being in China and operating on large volume and small margin it becomes much more likely that someone in your position is looking for a free extra set of drill bits or overlooked them in the packaging than they forgot to include them. If they just shipped off another set instantly every time the bottom line would take a massive hit due to the shipping costs. You have to realize these risks when dealing with them.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, must have spend something close to $5000 there in the past 2 years. Never had a problem worth writing about. I can't recall ever having something missing. I did actually get some freebies once. Some fancy replacement sticks for a Tx, unfortunately they don't fit what I have.

I've had a few things I bought that were pretty junky and unusable. Such as a $10 gimbal. But I only bought it on a lark and to fill up a shipping weight anyway. And just the vibe mounts that it came with cost almost $10 to buy in the US anyway and I can use those parts so... meh.

I bought some LED lights for my son's monster truck for Christmas. They came with no instructions, no voltage rating printed anywhere, I hooked them up to 5V and poof! Now I know they're meant for like 3V. Well, only $6... the same things would have cost $30 locally. And I bought 2 sets anyway so I still have one good set...

I've saved way, WAY more than I could have possibly lost due to a few missing or broken items. I mean, I might be out in total $100 in bad junk, and saved $1000's over buying local.

The only thing I really regret is trying to develop Arducopter on the HK600 platform for so long. The aluminum parts are super soft, and bend instantly, requiring replacement. The shafts aren't straight, and the bearings are rough. It all led to an endless cycle of fighting to get everything working smoothly, and then a minor pilot induced crash sets off a chain reaction of vibration resulting in more crashes due to the flight controller struggling.

I should have switched to another platform earlier.

The HK600GT is OK as a simple sport machine on flybar and a plain tail gyro. But don't put an FBL controller on it and expect results.

I've also had great luck with simple Turnigy 20C rated LiPos.

I can't imagine getting that worked up about a couple of missing drill bits. It wouldn't even be worth my time to bother contacting them.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
they are like the Walmart of r/c. I've had puffed batteries and incorrect parts, and been charged for 3 day air that took a week to deliver. But the biggest problem is if something goes wrong it costs more to ship it back than it does to take a loss. Would be nice if they had more in stock in their USA warehouse.

PilotMan

Its Amazing how dishonest people are in general these days...... NO HONOR I SAY!!

Not once. But I had countless problems with internet customers trying to scam my business in every possible way imaginable for years and years.

Being in China and operating on large volume and small margin it becomes much more likely that someone in your position is looking for a free extra set of drill bits or overlooked them in the packaging than they forgot to include them. If they just shipped off another set instantly every time the bottom line would take a massive hit due to the shipping costs. You have to realize these risks when dealing with them.

PilotMan

SO..... I order 6 of the Turnigy 5000mAh Batteries for a new hex....... Oh lucky me..... I get one with a high cell. Here is the return policy for Lipos:::::

HobbyKing® Lithium Polymer Battery Warranty Policy.

Due to the complexity and delicate nature of Lithium Polymer Batteries, please note the following points prior to making a claim.

Please keep the following in mind before making a claim;
We check all battery pack voltages prior to shipping. It is a simple process and takes us 3 seconds per pack. Doing so assures us that the battery is fit for use, is within the voltage range and has no shorting.
This process does not remove slightly unbalanced packs.

1) You can only make a claim for 'Under voltage' the same day the parcel arrives and prior to the lipoly pack being charged or cycled. 'Under Voltage' means that 1 or more of the cells in you pack has a voltage lower than 3v per cell. After the battery has been cycled or used, no claim for 'under voltage' can be made.

2) We do not replace burnt batteries. All batteries are checked prior to shipping, if a short on the balance connector was to happen, it would happen prior to shipping. Burnt batteries are also impossible to examine, therefore they are not warranted.

3) We do not warrant crash damage, of any kind. If your pack shows signs of an impact or trauma, we will not replace it.

4) Never disassemble your pack. Regardless of your skill level, expertise or qualifications. We will never replace a disassembled or 'inspected' pack.

5) Rapid Capacity Loss. Should your pack fall well short of it's stated capacity, please indicate to us how you achieved capacity claim. We will test packs for charge and discharge values. Should the battery have severe capacity loss, we will test each cell for maximum and minimum voltage charge as well as I/O. This can indicate to us if the pack has been over-discharged. Packs which are over-discharged will not be replaced.

6) Because of the complexity and nature of these batteries, all packs must be returned to our Hong Kong office. Packs sent to any of our warranty agents, will be rejected.

7) Packs which have a cell voltage difference of less than .245v per cell cannot be replaced. Please balance your packs if your packs appears to be unbalanced.

8) Should you be too concerned about sending the parcel back to us due to safety reasons. We will not warrant the pack. Purchasing any battery from HobbyKing.com, constitutes an agreement to this warranty policy.
Each battery brand has it's own warranty time limit. Our standard Lipoly warranty limit is 30 days, unless otherwise stated in the product listing.

Bison52

I guess I got lucky but HobbyKing treated me okay recently and since I was all set to blast them, I should probably also relate the good treatment.

Ordered 3 4S Nanotechs on 3/6. To my surprise, they showed up at my door on 3/9 with standard shipping.

Two charged up right away but one wouldn't charge after my iCharger indicated a low cell.

Contacted Live Chat and jumped through a few hoops with emails and pics but they credited me for the bad battery without too much argument.

Mike

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
they have US warehouses as well. thats probably why you got it so fast. I however paid for 3 day air and they shipped it out in 3 days after ordering!

Bison52

Pete

Take pics showing the battery pack hooked up to the charger or meter showing the low cell or the error message. Get a pic showing the front of the battery as well as the side with the warranty sticker. Make sure that the battery is clearly shown hooked up to the charger with the reading in both pics.

Email the pics along with an explanation to support@hobbyking.zendesk.com ASAP. Be sure to include your order # in the email subject line

Mike