Highlights from a summer shoot at Dewees Island

Nice work very impressive. I can answer some questions in regards to the gimbal but here is the basics. the key to any gimbal servo or brushless is getting the cg right. PID's are a lot easier if your cg is perfect. we have some basic settings for gh3, nex 5,7, 5d to get you started but all will vary based on lens and how well you place the cg. If any one is interested the gimbal can be bought here http://www.shop.rotorsandaerialmedia.com/R-C-Rotors-2-Axis-Brushless-Gimbal-RCR-2AXBG.htm

RC Rotors has been very helpful with helping us transition to a brushless gimbal. I can definitely recommend them.

tombrown1

Nice work very impressive. I can answer some questions in regards to the gimbal but here is the basics. the key to any gimbal servo or brushless is getting the cg right. PID's are a lot easier if your cg is perfect. we have some basic settings for gh3, nex 5,7, 5d to get you started but all will vary based on lens and how well you place the cg. If any one is interested the gimbal can be bought here http://www.shop.rotorsandaerialmedia.com/R-C-Rotors-2-Axis-Brushless-Gimbal-RCR-2AXBG.htm

We are about to pull the trigger on a new gimbal. We will be using a pj710v, nex 5n, and soon a gh3. We will also need 3rd axis stab. Thinking about using the rctimer 3rd axis cinestar clone with brushless adapter for the yaw.

What motors should we buy for this setup? Will you be offering 3rd axis anytime soon?

Thanks,

Tom

RC Rotors

We are about to pull the trigger on a new gimbal. We will be using a pj710v, nex 5n, and soon a gh3. We will also need 3rd axis stab. Thinking about using the rctimer 3rd axis cinestar clone with brushless adapter for the yaw.

What motors should we buy for this setup? Will you be offering 3rd axis anytime soon?

Thanks,

Tom

not sure how the brushless adapter will work with the rctimer gimbal so cant say much there. what i can tell you is the pan axis needs the most power as it has to support all motors, gimbal, camera and electronics. a pan axis for a go pro gimbal is a piece of cake. from the nex and up, not so simple, the problem is most want to use the motor clip to support all the weight and i don't feel that's the right way to go. nex 5,7 maybe, red plus lens i wont risk it. we are working on all angles of the pan axis and we have a few in R&D testing. should have something reliable in a few weeks brushless.

tombrown1

Also, finally got a chance to see the video (can't watch it on iPad for some reason) - absolutely stunning. You have a great eye. Can't wait to see more!

Best,

Tom

jfro

Aerial Fun
Benjamin: Just curious on your using the brushless gimbal with a GH3 & Epic. I think I've read you fly a Cinestar 8 and I also thought you were using their gimbal. Do you think the alexmos/ brushless gimbals are better than your Cinestar gimbal & radians (assuming that's what your were flying) in their current stage? If that's what you've been using I'd be very much interested in your thougts/reasoning.... I thought the radian / cinestar 3 axis gimbal was one of the best most reliable setups out there. ...... just wondering.... since I'm finding tuning the brushless gimbals to be a pain in the butt to tune perfectly and finding the motors to be not the most robust.....

Benjamin: Just curious on your using the brushless gimbal with a GH3 & Epic. I think I've read you fly a Cinestar 8 and I also thought you were using their gimbal. Do you think the alexmos/ brushless gimbals are better than your Cinestar gimbal & radians (assuming that's what your were flying) in their current stage? If that's what you've been using I'd be very much interested in your thougts/reasoning.... I thought the radian / cinestar 3 axis gimbal was one of the best most reliable setups out there. ...... just wondering.... since I'm finding tuning the brushless gimbals to be a pain in the butt to tune perfectly and finding the motors to be not the most robust.....

In the world of servo driven gimbals, the Radian / Cinestar 3-axis combo is one of the best. It's reliable and it works. Brushless gimbals are a definite step up in stability. The motors react faster and more accurately than the servos can. But right now, the tech isn't as mature.

The Alexmos board works really well, once you get it tuned. But as you mentioned, the tuning step isn't very easy at this point. And for larger cameras, the camera balance has to be absolutely perfect. Tuning the Radian system is easy. I'd imagine that as time marches on, the Alexmos, and boards like it, will become easier to tune. And the motors will get better.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Curious as to if you will be using your brushless 2 axis w/ I assume the 3rd axis being your radian, for most of your future paying jobs?

You mentioned that you had to software stabilize a few portions of your shoot on the brushless setup.
Comparing that to your radian/Cinestar previous jobs, was the % of footage that needed stabilizing significantly more or less than on the brushless shoot?

Curious as to if you will be using your brushless 2 axis w/ I assume the 3rd axis being your radian, for most of your future paying jobs?

You mentioned that you had to software stabilize a few portions of your shoot on the brushless setup.
Comparing that to your radian/Cinestar previous jobs, was the % of footage that needed stabilizing significantly more or less than on the brushless shoot?

We will definitely stick with the brushless setup. Once you go brushless, you can't go back! Less stabilization needed. We hope that once we have the pan axis on brushless, we'll be closer to the point where we will hardly ever post-stabilize. Dreaming of that day...

daniel

Hi Ben

Great work , amazing footage....

one question,....

i have a Av200 with a Radian in a pan axis that works amazing, and i have a sony nex5n 2 axis camera mount that want to attach there, so i can have a 3 Axis mount like yours, half motors and servo.
The Radian have a satelite only, how can i connect the DX8 radio to the alex moss boardand the Radian at the same time?

thanks for your time....

Amazing footage!!!!

Hi Ben

one question,....

i have a Av200 with a Radian in a pan axis that works amazing, and i have a sony nex5n 2 axis camera mount that want to attach there, so i can have a 3 Axis mount like yours, half motors and servo.
The Radian have a satelite only, how can i connect the DX8 radio to the alex moss boardand the Radian at the same time?

thanks for your time....

Amazing footage!!!!

You just need 3 available channels, one for each axis.

Precision Visions

Multirotor Pilot...
Hi Ben

one question,....

thanks for your time....

Amazing footage!!!!

Hi Daniel, you can attach the AR8000 or another spectrum RX to your radian and use the other channels for tilt and roll. Not as clean as just the satellite but still very functional.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Benjamin. I think I saw that you are using a belt drive for the roll on your new brushless gimbal. I also think I read where you said the Epic balanced real nice but on the GH3 job, you had a few little glitches to clean up in your footage.

I ask because I have two brushless setups. The smaller direct drive works fine, but can't get my gh3 on it and it's a little fragile. My larger unit has a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 belt drive on the roll, but I've not gotten it to work to my satisfaction. I get some small hitches/hiccups/vibrations on the roll. Thought it was my xy8, but it's not. I am pretty sure it's the gimbal as my direct drive runs fine.

I may either buy/build/ (or modify existing gimbal) another gimbal and go back to direct drive. What's I'm wondering is if you have only worked with the belt drive as opposed to any experience with direct drive. Interested in your opinion... Thanks.

We've only worked with direct drive at this point. We are considering trying belt drive on the pan axis. I'll report back on the results.

Benjamin. I think I saw that you are using a belt drive for the roll on your new brushless gimbal. I also think I read where you said the Epic balanced real nice but on the GH3 job, you had a few little glitches to clean up in your footage.

I ask because I have two brushless setups. The smaller direct drive works fine, but can't get my gh3 on it and it's a little fragile. My larger unit has a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 belt drive on the roll, but I've not gotten it to work to my satisfaction. I get some small hitches/hiccups/vibrations on the roll. Thought it was my xy8, but it's not. I am pretty sure it's the gimbal as my direct drive runs fine.

I may either buy/build/ (or modify existing gimbal) another gimbal and go back to direct drive. What's I'm wondering is if you have only worked with the belt drive as opposed to any experience with direct drive. Interested in your opinion... Thanks.