Highest frame rate in a small camera packet.

Holger

I am looking for the highest possible frame rate in the smallest, lightest camera possible. Should be at least1080p +.
I know about the GoPro. What else is out there.
Camera must be under 1000g better below 500g.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ronan

I was going to say the high-speed camera's shoot in low resolution and are heavy...

What kind of speed do you want? There's not that much in 1080p... You are talking around 150-200fps for a small camera.

sk8brd

nothing that light, phantom miro smallest highest fps cam out there at 800fps but its big money and still 1080p..

Last edited by a moderator:

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Being realistic the gopro 4 black is all there is. The new Sony F7 would be good but heavy when a lens is added.

min0nim

The Sony RX100 3, (and therefore I imagine the A5100 as well) do reasonable speeds, but also at high bitrates:

1920 x 1080 60p Avg. 50Mbps
menubar1.gif
1920 x 1080 30p Avg. 50Mbps
menubar1.gif
1920 x 1080 24p Avg. 50Mbps
menubar2.gif
1280 x 720 120p Avg. 50Mbps

The quality of the video is excellent, so you could probably frame blend to achieve 'slower' footage if that's what you're after.

Holger

Thanks so far, keep it comming.
The client needs 1080 120fps as absolute minimum, 240 better, faster would make someone very happy...

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
You're not going to get better than the 120 Sony has at 720p or the 96 the GH4 has at 1080 for the money/size. Unless you want to fork over $50k for a phantom miro which is overkill. The quality you get from the FS700 will be WAY better than what the gopro or iphone gives you at the same fps. You might be better just shooting at a high shutter speed on a nice sunny day and running it through Twixtor and praying you don;t have too many artifacts to deal with in the background.

Holger

I have worked with the Sony fs700 before.
The results where great, but it is bit, too big.
Even on a Movi M10 we needed extra ballast to be able to balance it.
So the rx 100 or GoPro are the only option?

Holger

Not in this case Kloner.
The epic is far to big/ heavy.
In this case we need long flight time, and the high speed is only one component of several carried on the copter for analysis.

pfarmer

Holder - as a reference for weight I have a Gopro 3+. Weight of camera and Gimbal is 312 grams using a quick connect mount (for rails) and 2 inch aluminum stand offs. I do mostly stills so my concern with a camera upgrade is a lightweight camera that will store photos in raw format.