Hoverfly HFP/GPS - X468 - Y6 - AP rig

I'll go first.... This is a work in progress still.

First the spec:

FC- Hoverfly Pro and GPS boards
Frame- X468 medium with 1/2 square wood booms and balsa 'faring'.
Motors- Sunnysky 2216-11 800kv short shaft.
ESC- Hobby King blue 20A.
Props- APC 10x3.8sf top APC 11x5.5e bottom.
Batteries- 2x5000mAh 3s.
Rx- Spectrum AR8000 and satellite.
Gimbal- x468 medium and EMax ?08MD servos.
VTx- Fat Shark 5.8ghz 100mW (foxtech one pictured has since been binned).
Camera- Cannon EOS550D
TX- Spectrum DX8.
Ground Station- Airwave 5.8ghz VRx, 7" Monitor, DVR and 3s battery voltage monitor display.

Why Hoverfly?

There are more developed systems with more features and debatably better performance for not much more cost available, but I'm looking for something beyond that, service and support. That's where I think HF win over every other system. There is a dedicated HF forum that is regularly supported by the HF team. ALL systems have their problems and set backs but it's how those problems are dealt with that counts in my book. With HF I have an English speaking person who I can deal with directly.
It has some unique features that not even WK-M has like a high quality OSD backed right into the FC.

Frame?

I have chosen the x468 frame because of the options of configuration including hex in + that HF supports (hex x is coming soon because of demand). I've made my choice of Y6 but like the option to change if necessary. Y6 gives me true redundancy and good wind authority from experience. I've also chosen wood booms, this may appear a strange choice but has solid reasoning behind it. Rather than trying to 'fix' vibration and camera jelo I'm trying to build a rig without vibration. Will balanced props and motors first, then wood booms to absorb and dampen and vibration that's left. Metal and even aluminium will transfer vibes straight down their length, the wood has some nice damping qualities to it naturally. I also am taking prop wash hitting the booms into account. Square is easy to keep motor alignment but the large flat surface gets hit by the propwash and causes its own vibration, round is better aerodynamically therefore better in this situation. My answer is to fit a faring to the top of the square boom improving the propwash aerodynamics, hiding the motor wires, retaining the strength and keeping motor alignment. Also in the frame I'm using the 'gaps' left by the Y6 design to make antenna booms in order to keep separation between antennas and sources of interference.

Powertrain?

Not much needs explaining really. The Sunnysky motors are very good quality for the price and are just rebranded T-motors. I'm staying 3s as that's what I already have plenty of. The esc's are cheapo but have good feedback on the forums and have more adjustment than the likes of Turnigys. Being able to run them at 16khz should mean I don't get that 8khz wine that annoys me to death. Props may seem strange to have different top and bottom. I'll go into that later but it's all about increasing the efficiency of the coax setup.

Camera.

I've gone for the 550D after lots and lots of research. It's gonna be a tight fit in the gimbal but I was leaning towards the NEX-5N at the time. The 550D allows live video out, no proprietary files to convert and most importantly the mrs wanted a proper SLR so she can also use it when I'm not. I've made sure the three year insurance covers accidental droppage ;-)

Ground station.

The DX8 is plenty enough for control and I've had no issues with it. I also have a video downlink that is displayed on a 7" screen with the OSD for flight info like battery voltage, gps coordinates and the like. I won't be flying FPV with this setup (I have other quads and planes for that) it's just for framing shots and flight info.

Some photos (these are all early mock ups and some items have already be superseded by better)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993060.817336.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993060.817336.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 286
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993163.171876.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993163.171876.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 352
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993219.697228.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993219.697228.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 355
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993254.944095.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993254.944095.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 360
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993288.063084.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993288.063084.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 467
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993337.417817.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993337.417817.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 423
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993381.571709.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993381.571709.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 459
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993433.977378.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331993433.977378.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 425

Stacky

I had a NAZA, I think you have got a great value FC for the money. The NAZA was also very easy to set up and get flying.

The HFP in my opinion flies better but one thing that the NAZA does do better is Altitude hold. The NAZA AL was stiffer and the normal mode much looser, however I hadnt done much messing with settings to tune the NAZA.

how is the hoverfly?
i was thinking about getting one before i went with the naza.

Hey Dave, sorry, not been around these parts in a while.

It's stalled at the moment, not because of lack of interest but other projects have consumed my time and hobby budget. I have got myself a 550d to go on it (eventually). The big thing that is holding it us is some new frame plates, I decided that the ones supplied wern't big enough for all my equipment and by upping to a 7" diameter plate I could run shorter booms (same m2m) and it'd fit my canopy perfectly. I have the plates designed and found a local guy with G10 and a CNC router, just got to give him the files and some money. Once they are cut it's just the build up.

Remember when I first posted way back I said something like 'I'm not into planes or FPV'. Well....

FPV is frigin awesome! I was researching how to get a good downlink from the MR to my ground station so I could frame shots and there is so much to learn that I just got sucked into FPV. I've been flying my small quad FPV a bit but I'm finding it easier to fly fixed wing FPV. I now own two FPV planes with a big wing on the way and a antenna tracking ground station almost finished. I'm doing very well at building the systems so it's gonna help with my Y6 in the end. I'm also finding it easy to fly the planes FPV so it's helping with my FPV quad flights.

As well as all the FPV flights my LOS flying has improved loads, I'm now very confident at all orientations and FF flight, I'm even coordinating my turns to 'look' better (although no use in AP). I spent a lot of time flying indoors this winter at the Twickenham indoor meet, there is getting quite a MR following there. At the last meet there were 6 MR's in the air and a few of us have more than one on the ground, not bag for a general RC meeting and I think reflects the growing interest in MR's.

I do want to get this project going again but right now there's no rush, by the time I get on it I'll be a better pilot and do a better job of the build :)

W

mailman35

i have the same x468 frame, and ive kind of run in to some problems as i was putting it together, i think i need to see why some peices arent aligning that well, or get some plastic washers to take up the slack...
will put some pics up when i get home tonight.

i have the same x468 frame, and ive kind of run in to some problems as i was putting it together, i think i need to see why some peices arent aligning that well, or get some plastic washers to take up the slack...
will put some pics up when i get home tonight.

Don't expect it to fit together out of the box, it won't. There is some serious filing that needs doing!

Slack wise, i assume you mean in the pivots of the gimbal, yea i've not found a solution yet but am thinking the same as you, some plastic tubes or some such.

mailman35

yeah ive already had to use the dremmel on the thing to get certain parts to fit. hopefully i can get around to finishing it up this week.