Hoverfly HFP+GPS vs NAZA +GPS

gweleps

I am with HF Tech from day 1 and didn't have a chance to test other controllers; I've seen lots of vids on Naza + GPS but would like to get direct feedback from people who already tested both.
So i am listening...
Many thanks
Alain

workshop

HoverFly's flight software is much better for camera work. The NAZA software does not produce smooth flight except in very calm (indoor) conditions. Even with gains set to a slider to match conditions and a healthy amount of expo, the NAZA is still very bumpy.

The GPS and position hold features work well but those are low film making priorities.

Jeff

Nuckan

The DJI NAZA is really simple to setup. Works like a charm. Had some problems setting up the camera gimbal though. Couldn't figure out the settings and got stepwise servo movements which ruined the video. Are you supposed to use a special kind of servo for camera gimbal? Been flying with a manual camera pitch in FPV mode:

Last edited by a moderator:

StormRU

Naza's built in gimbal software is a nightmare. On the other hand HFP gimbal software will not give you a satisfactory result as well. You need a separate gimbal control board anyway. While in FPV flight you will hardly notice even medium shakiness of your platform.

Photronix

Pilot
StormRU I wanted to mention to you that the 4.3.802 software had a bug that caused Roll to get off during flight. You originally pointed it out and I was able to reliplicate it here finally. This has been fixed in the latest firmware released yesterday. Please give it a try and let us know what you think.

Naza's built in gimbal software is a nightmare. On the other hand HFP gimbal software will not give you a satisfactory result as well. You need a separate gimbal control board anyway. While in FPV flight you will hardly notice even medium shakiness of your platform.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
.................On the other hand HFP gimbal software will not give you a satisfactory result as well. ................

this is an inaccurate statement. THe HF PRO gimbal control is excellent but does take time to tweak. As for GPS, I use it with my Mikrokopter equipment as it allows me to go inside my goggles and focus more on the pictures I"m taking. I haven't really spent a lot of time with the HF GPS system but I'm going to be doing that in the near future.

gweleps

I agree; i had good results with the HF Pro and AV-200 gimbal on my X8 with the (almost) last software level.
Alain

Bowley

have no experience with HFP to compare but I would agree with previous.... Naza GPS is very good and locks in well even in heavy wind. It is very user friendly and set up is a doddle but perhaps if their was a bit more user settings it could be fine tuned. In general flight in all but absolutely still air it is a little bumpy, you can choose between slow bumps, with low gains or quick bumps, with high gains. Gimbal stab is not terribly good and there is no way of increasing the refresh rate like with XA FC1212 which has slightly better gimbal stab. But then what can we expect for around $400. Overall I like the Naza for its simplicity and I really only use it for AP for which it is perfect for. It has IOC, RTH and it does what it says on the tin.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Try the new firmware, it has some code which should help clear up the roll shakiness issue you experienced. v4.3.860
https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21939088-pro-gps-firmware-setup-update-v4-3-860