Help me choose a platform for AP

Jeppa

I am new to drones but not new to AP.
I have been reading for weeks about all types or multi units. Lots of the info is from manufacturers or kids talking junk on the net.
I basically need to get a small slr and lens about 30 meters straight up and hover so I can shoot some stills, then hopefully return to the ground.
I need to know what size craft, motors, props, batteries, esc's, controller, GPS and transmitter to run it.
I shoot a lot of rural properties that I can't get my 4wd in, so I cant set up the pole.

Thanks for any advice.

meme

Thats a big question with lot of variables.
-If your' e are new to multis, start with DJI F450 and Naza.
-After some practise add some bigger motors and a GPS to it
-Add a Gopro and learn about mounting/Vibrations, Yello
-After some practise get a DJI F550 Frame and another 2 Motors/ESC`s/Props, add a Gimbal (2 axis is enough for AP) and a Cam Trigger
-Install a Video Downlink from your SLR or FPV Cam to the Ground (Goggles, Monitor)

Seems easy? You'll spend some months and about that and lots of money, you'll crash a lot and continue to order new props, arms, ecc....but you'll see, it will be worth.

cheers, meme

ChrisViperM

Thats a big question with lot of variables.
-If your' e are new to multis, start with DJI F450 and Naza.
-After some practise add some bigger motors and a GPS to it
-Add a Gopro and learn about mounting/Vibrations, Yello
-After some practise get a DJI F550 Frame and another 2 Motors/ESC`s/Props, add a Gimbal (2 axis is enough for AP) and a Cam Trigger
-Install a Video Downlink from your SLR or FPV Cam to the Ground (Goggles, Monitor)

Seems easy? You'll spend some months and about that and lots of money, you'll crash a lot and continue to order new props, arms, ecc....but you'll see, it will be worth.

cheers, meme

+1

We all have fallen into the same trap....can't be that difficult to mount a camera to one of these flying Multicopters and get the job done....? But it is, because there is a lot of knowledge required to get the bird airborne AND to keep it there. You could get a "shopping list" from a lot of the members here, but it won't help you if you don't know about Lipo's, Video down-links, Flight Controllers, Receivers/transmitters, different Frequencies, soldering, ESC's....and a lot more. Most of the guys here have tackled this, but you can't expect to be in the air AND fly safely in a few days. The problem is that most of the companies selling equipment and frames for Multirotors give the impression that it's all soooo easy......of course they want you to buy their product and later on lots of spare parts. Take your time and you will be happy.

Not intended to put you off or refuse to give you information....just to draw a realistic picture.

Chris

Jeppa

Thanks for the info so far.
The plan was to get a smaller version of what I would later be using, so I could get used to a certain flight controller, transmitter set up etc...
I already use a system to view live view over wifi on my pole, so that part of it is fine.
The physical building solidering etc is fine with years of rc car and boat time wasting under my belt.
I am sure it will be worth it for me in the end.
I've been a photographer for 16 years so I understand how quickly money dissapears. im sure it will turn into another expensive addiction for me.

Dewster

I think starting with DJI WKM (WooKong M) or NAZA with GPS is the easiest and fastest way to get into multi-rotors. I originally purchased a Mikrocopter board after watching all of the videos of it flying but assembly is crazy.

I surfed YouTube and found Hoverfly. I was about to purchase their system until I found DJI. I was turned off by the board design which was similar to Mikrokopter, but it was a great deal easier to understand. I chose DJI for simplicity.

Once my decision was made it took me about a month of intense research on what's needed to put a multi up. I built a DIY XAircraft Hexacopter with stronger Avroto Motors 2814/11s to lift a Sony Nex 5n.

You will need to combine the right props with motors for reliability and to generate the lift necessary to carry the weight of the craft, electronics, batteries etc.

There are plenty of example crafts on YouTube carrying different camera loads.

You will need to figure out what

Flight system
Electronic Speed Control
Motors
Props
Battery/ies
Frame
Gimbal
First Person Camera
Video transmitter/receiver
Radio transmitter
Landing gear for gimbal clearance

that you'll need.

You should watch this video from PitchBitch on YouTube if you decide on DJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axp2sdH2fbA&sns=em

HOVERFLY also has good tutorial videos on their product.

ChrisViperM

If you got already experience with RC cars and boats, than you have already mastered the first big hurdle.....I second Dewster to start with DJI since there is lots of info avalible

Good luck with your new "addiction"......

Chris