Hello from Western Massachusetts

mbowser

I have just been reading some about the interference issues. It's strange to me that some people talk about wrapping power lines in aluminum foil - but other people talk about the negative interference issues created by aluminum. Everyone seems to agree that the glass fiber (G10?) is the best route to avoid interference.

Right, Carbon Fiber and Glass Fiber are 2 very different animals when it comes to radio interference. Carbon Fiber is conductive like a metal and will dampen radio signals. The same is not true for most Glass Fiber.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just for the motors. The body would still hang longer front to back. The more I read, the more it seems that this is voodoo science. I'm sure there's some "real" science in there SOMEWHERE, but not so much in the links I find for FPV in particular.

Trying to maximize my time by researching while balancing more props....

jbrumberg

One nice about nail polish is that it dries quickly. The bad thing is once it dries it loses weight. I have been avoiding balancing my props, but with the potential for a decent snow system for our part of of the NE CONUS this coming Monday it looks like my plans for testing my quad will be even more delayed. There is good storm potential here based on some computer modeling, but we are 4 -5 days out. We'll see.

One thing for sure- my HK motors are waiting for me at the post office, 1.5 miles down the road. Not too bad, actually very good for HK/USA warehouse :)

I've been thinking about this. I will probably be buying another frame for backup/replacement parts once it becomes available again at HK/USA. For some reason I believe I just "might" need another part or two. Those "alternate" landing gear struts. They are really nice. They are really well made and machined. They are machined for the motor plates in the other orientation which is actually the correct position. I just happen to like the way the other side is machined for the motor mounting bolts. They also, even if and I would add cushion wheelie things or something to the bottoms; even with all that extra cushioning the battery would be too close to the ground for safety IMHO. I am dealing with uneven terrain at best around here, I can not afford to go around smashing up lipo batteries. If I added more battery protection it would affect the AUW, and I am starting to get heavy at ~1500 grams.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm afraid the nail polish is not heavy enough. But then again, the CA wasn't doing the trick quickly either. I have the spray that goes on CA to dry it instantly. Smells bad but works well.

This -5 degree temp is sorta killing me at this point. I'm in a constant holding pattern. This leads to more research (good) and then craving additional things like FPV equipment (bad). :)

jbrumberg

I got my motors so I can somewhat productive quad-wise, and still avoid balancing those props. If that nail polish proves itself to be just too light and too slow I will look into my fly tying stuff. I may have some stuff in my salt water supplies that would/could work. I used to use something...

Today I have been episodically stirring up the natives at RCG :highly_amused:. It's almost always fun stuff. Life is too short to be mean spirited.

I've been thinking about making a shorter version of my landing gear using a different rod material, maybe even wood. Wood is not that bad a material structurally; same applies to aluminum; and both are pretty lightweight.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What are you stirring up???

Thanks for thinking about the counter-weight stuff, but honestly I think that if these two things I have already are needing too much do do it quickly, then the props just need to be better quality next buy.

jbrumberg

I make phallic allusions to Tx sticks and nothing to do in this Winter weather, but either talk about our sticks or play with them since few people fly in this weather... Even me due to the wind for my little guys. Lots of people are talking about Tx's now. Taranus is a hot item. There are a couple of others as well.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Still "mending" after my "dance" with the bottom of the stairs. Radiologist called today and there are no apparent issues with my knee replacement! It is still swollen but is going down....just taking it easy and the PT will evaluate it on Monday :)!

I just finished up an afternoon of balancing ALL my props! I am still very happy with the DuBro but will have to wait and see how they work out on the TopFlite on order. I am using HQprops and they are really really close to being balanced right out of the package! I had ONE out of 12 that needed some CA gel on the hub....and even then just a dab. We will see just how they do on the quad!

I have the SunnySky motors as well and it took me a little bit to figure out just how the props should be mounted but everything is looking AOK now! I am going to get some longer M3 bolts as the ones that came with the DJI F450 kit are (I think) a bit too short. They pass through the frame fine but I am not 100% positive that they are engaging the entire threading in the motor. The local hobby store has ones that are about 2mm longer that I will try.

Absolutely everything should be arriving tomorrow or Monday! Fingers crossed! I feel for you guys up in New England! We got a couple of inches of snow last night but nothing like you guys have been experiencing! STAY WARM!!!!

COMike93yj

Still Building!
I read up on the HQprops and they have a good following on the RCGroups and although they aren't the cheapest ones out there they are not the price of Graupners!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I ordered some Graupner "style" props from witespy to try out. They should be here next week and I'll give them a shot. As soon as I begin to fly with some more confidence ( and lack of crashes!!!), I'm splurging for something good. Price be damned ( within reason). The balancing is annoying after a while with these cheap ones.

jbrumberg

Balancing props is very annoying, and I had a full career of dealing with annoying to develop some degree of :02.47-tranquillity: (or at least interpersonal callousness :strawberry:). I too may have to revisit the cheap prop route. I need to think about this, and get all this CA off me..... not good for :02.47-tranquillity:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Im going to out an order in for some APC props. Some people consider these better for multirotors than the pricey ones, and they are under $5/pair.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The APC Multirotor props work well, I have a couple sets. Make sure to order spares as they break easily in the cold and don't forget to order the adaptor rings also, unlike their other props the M/R version doesn't come with any.

My other low $ favorite is HQProp, they're essentially a Graupner clone but only cost a couple $ each. They're also a LOT closer to balanced out of the package than the APC, close enough that I often don't bother to balance them for FPV use.

Ken

P.S. for prop balancing I use small strips of either copper or aluminum tape on the hubs and vinyl tape on the blades. As for radios, I have a squeaky new Taranis sitting on the bench waiting for me to find time to set some models up on it and the weather to moderate enough to then go try it out, I'll let you know how it compares to my JR 11X and DX7

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Mike really likes the HQ props as well. I read the same thing about not having to balance the APCs like you guys have with the HQ - so I'm sure which batch you get plays into it. But regardless , it has to be better than these cheapies I have!!!

jbrumberg

I woke up and still found evidence of CA glue on my person which reminded me about yesterday's fiasco. At least I had the presence of mind and judgement good enough not to have done this prop balancing craziness at my new work station- our kitchen table.

Ken- thanks for the tips on the props and the tapes. Building up mass (balance) with CA mixture/nail polish definitely tested my :02.47-tranquillity:, and made a big mess. And congratulations on the Taranis I would like to read your evaluation.

I have decided not to make myself any crazier than I already am with these Gemfan props. I will check balances, try Ken's recommendations, and try to keep myself and those props within "normal limits" and buy some decent props for when I am a nondestructive flyer.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I woke up and still found evidence of CA glue on my person which reminded me about yesterday's fiasco. At least I had the presence of mind and judgement good enough not to have done this prop balancing craziness at my new work station- our kitchen table.

Ken- thanks for the tips on the props and the tapes. Building up mass (balance) with CA mixture/nail polish definitely tested my :02.47-tranquillity:, and made a big mess. And congratulations on the Taranis I would like to read your evaluation.

I have decided not to make myself any crazier than I already am with these Gemfan props. I will check balances, try Ken's recommendations, and try to keep myself and those props within "normal limits" and buy some decent props for when I am a nondestructive flyer.

If you're just learning to fly I wouldn't get too hung up on prop balancing, first off you likely won't notice the difference and second they probably won't last long enough to make it worth the effort, especially on badly out of balance cheapos. :nightmare:

Ken

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you're just learning to fly I wouldn't get too hung up on prop balancing, first off you likely won't notice the difference and second they probably won't last long enough to make it worth the effort, especially on badly out of balance cheapos. :nightmare:

Ken

I'm just trying to get into good habits now. And with the temp hitting a balmy -8f degrees, what else am I going to do with this thing???!!! :)

jbrumberg

I look at this way literally- I see these videos of guys building their builds and flying them right off the build without balancing anything and the quads are flying ~"OK". I will get to that fine tuning of props after I get through the fine tuning of the quad and FC and my flying skills. I ordered some HQ's for when I am comfortable that I will not break them immediately. I know they are different animals (speed/size/mass/power etc.), but for all the hours of flying those X1's I have broken only 1 prop. I hope that I can maintain my prop friendliness; maybe I crash differently than other fliers and crashers? Or it is my flying locale over grass in warmer weather. I will order a couple more backup Gemfans too I consider them relatively expendable items in the learning curve. And I will try the tape method of balancing as well on the Gemfans as part of the learning curve.

Scott I really respect your development of good habits. I am pretty good with my hobby and recreational activities, but I never seem to fully maintain "others" according to the wife :highly_amused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I figured early on that this multiwii FC was complicated enough without offering bad variables into the mix. Just made good sense to eliminate as many "bad vibes" as possible before getting airborne so that I could focus directly on the FC. Also, there are widespread reports about excessive vibrations causing multiwii flight controllers/components to act funky. I don't need any help making this FC act funky :)

Not it sure about the effect of vibration on the KK2.1...

That said, I realize that many mentions of balanced props and motors relate to better quality video. I'm not there yet, but just keep working toward making this the most solid quad I can. All part of the learning process. Hoping to bring some of these "good habits" into the next build.