Hello from the Peak District in the UK

Greetings to all

I found the MultiRotor forum after watching some very cool videos on YouTube created by juz a master RC pilot living in Australia. I understand that jus is a member of this forum so if you view this jus – Respect! You fired my imagination and ever since I have been surfing the web looking at everything to do with RC and multi-rotor.

I am a retired press photographer living in the Peak National Park in the UK. I spent many years in the 60’s and 70’s trying to raise my camera above the heads of the competition and the opportunity to get a camera in the sky whilst keeping my feet on the ground appeals to me!

My initial intention was to rush out and purchase a RTF but after spending some time reading the views of members I intend to research the subject some more. Once I have a spec, I will upload it on the forum in the hope of some advice before purchase.

btw Great forum

Eric

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi Eric

first of all welcome to the forum

there is loads of great info on here spend loads of time looking before rushing into anything

also you prob better off building somthing your self as you will have a better understanding of how it all works togeather

there is so much new technology coming up things tend to change almost on a weekly basis

one last thing hows the weather where you are i see they talking about snow next few days in uk and you guys normaly get it a few days before us southerners

keith

Thanks Keith

Yes I agree, sooner or later I will crash and a rebuild will be much easier if I have built the unit. Whilst I am researching I’m considering purchasing a flight simulator and radio (I understand that the Phoenix FS has a Gaui 330X multi-rotor model). What do you think?

We have a light scattering of snow with more to come Thursday/Friday. I suspect it will vanish before reaching you.

Eric

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
I agree a simulator is a great idea i also have phoenix which is where i found the gaui 330x

i also asked about how realistic it was to fly compared to the real thing and response then a few months back was its a little bit to good but if parameters dulled down a bit then would be fairly close

since then the DJI flight controlers have shown whats possible as far as real solid stability so if you take that into consideration also the gaui in phoenix probably isnt that far off now .

a sim is a real must as far as learning to fly etc and a good tool to practice on even if you are a good flyer as once you learn how to change wind and model parameters you can push your skills further

like all things the more you fly the better you will get

also the best advantage of a sim is you can crash and crash and your wallet wont feel the pain

as far as radios for the sim a fairly basic 6ch tx would get you by for now then upgade later on

be warned this can be a very adictive

your wallet will suffer that you can be asured of

just seen weather forcast looks like we gonna get some snow tomorrow

keith

Macsgrafs

Eric, get yourself a decent RC radio first...spektrum DX8 or the like, also buy phoenix flight sim whilst at it & save £1000's whilst having fun learnign to fly...even my mrs flies a 6ch RC heli, all taught to her via phoenix...if you want to see here flying, just goto youtube & search for "Kirsty Carnage" ;)
If she can do it mate, you will have NO problems.

Ross

Thanks Guys

I placed an order for the Phoenix flight sim and a Spektrum DX8 radio this morning.

I will let you know how I go on after a few weeks of practise.

Eric

Just to finish this thread, I’ve spent many hours on the Phoenix FS and now feel confident to fly the real thing. Last week I purchased a DJI Wookong X650 v4 combo package from Geoff at Quadcopters and finished the build last night (see photo). I’m now trying to get my head around software configuration and will transfer my requests for help to the appropriate forum.

Thanks to Keith for advising me to build the unit myself, I’ve picked up a lot of knowledge in the process.

View attachment 3063

Attachments

• Quad x650 build lr.jpg
    Quad x650 build lr.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 249