Hello from SoCal! Noob to Multicopters!

Barken

Hey guys, I've been trolling the forums a bit, just decided to join and make my first post to help hone my parts list for my first build. I'm looking to get started with a DJI F550 Flamewheel and fly a Sony Nex-7 camera on it eventually, but at the moment, just looking to get the hexacopter itself, but still have the ability to add a camera mount and fly the camera later on.

So far, I've read into getting..

DJI F550 Flamewheel
DJI Naza Computer
DJI 30A ESC
Tiger Motor 2814-10 (770Kv) Motors
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]10.4" props, 3 CW, 3 CCW
5000 mah 14.8v 4s lipo
Spektrum DX6i - 6 Channel Transmitter
Spektrum Ar600 - 6 Channel Receiver

Thanks guys, I really look forward to becoming a part of the community :D
[/FONT]

kloner

Aerial DP
we fly fpv alot down at Carlsbad, we can see Dana on a good day. We also are gonna start hitting Torrey gliderport more. south another 10 miles. You'll have to come down sometime. Were having another fpv meet in march there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barken

Thanks Kloner, I'd love to come by and fly. Hopefully I'll have a copter to fly! Do you have any recommendations on getting started in MC cinematography in terms of base copter setup?

kloner

Aerial DP
i like everything you got up there except that flamewheel. the 550 kinda flies weird. if your gonna crash, it's a good one to kill, but if you want something to perform, that hexacrafter kit is the bomb in a similar size range. it'll outlast the rest of the parts on the list and is super flexible on what it'll carry and prop sizes. it'll grow with ya

this is bartmans xy8 octo with an av-100 and nex-5, i like this one too, but it's an octo so needs wk or hfp or....

the hex is limited at a 2 axis with the nex size cam, the octo will go into dslr's

Barken

As great as the hexacraft kit looks, it's a bit out of my price range for my first MC. What would be better than the flamewheel for a starter in your opinion?

kloner

Aerial DP
try the flamewheel, its the best rig in that price range, you just max it out easily and they never seem to fly ultra smooth. more of a photo ship than video rig, but with hero black done right,,,, would get you going

Barken

try the flamewheel, its the best rig in that price range, you just max it out easily and they never seem to fly ultra smooth. more of a photo ship than video rig, but with hero black done right,,,, would get you going

Well, for my first one I'd like to have a rig that I could learn on as well as progress to shooting some video with, ideally within the next couple of months. So it may be a worthwhile investment to get the hexacrafter kit. But seeing as the Flamewheel is only ~$100, could I use motors, ESC, computer, etc.. from the Flamewheel on the hexacrafter kit when I get the money for the frame.

kloner

Aerial DP
if your talking dji motors, youd want to move up yo 2814 770 kv jinda power, 40 amp, 12" prop

hjls3

Barken - I started with a 550 and while it does have some bad points, agree with kloner there, it is also an excellent first rig. you are going to crash. the frame is pretty rugid. if you happen to break something, it is easily replaced and cheap. i have had a number of rigs since getting my first 550, with that said - the 550 still makes laps around my house. good frame to hone your skills. have fun and good luck...might also consider a husban to get going too. husban is a 65$ rtf small quad. its real fun to fly and a helpful little trainer.

hjls3

also - living anywhere near Kloner and not meeting up with him to see him fly and pick his brain for advice would be a mistake.

Barken

also - living anywhere near Kloner and not meeting up with him to see him fly and pick his brain for advice would be a mistake.

I'll heed the advice... ;D I'm looking for a rig that is going to be a good starter as well as a decent base to build upon to fly a camera in due time, until I get the Hexacrafter kit, or else I would opt for a quad instead.

I'm planning on jumping into this hobby(read: dream career) with both feet so I'm trying to pick everyone's brain for advice, Kloner has been kickass so far!

hjls3

you will like the 550. at one point i had a AV130 and a Canon t2i under mine. It was fairly modified at that point and I quickly progressed past it but it did get the job done.

Barken

That's sweet, I wasn't sure if the 550 would have enough lift force to fly a DSLR. What modifications did you make to it?

linter

we fly fpv alot down at Carlsbad, we can see Dana on a good day. We also are gonna start hitting Torrey gliderport more. south another 10 miles. You'll have to come down sometime. Were having another fpv meet in march there.

can you say more about the march fpv meet? like, how many guys generally show up, how long does it last, etc and the like. thanks!