Hello from New Delhi, India

Hi from New Delhi, India,

Returning to the hobby after a gap of several years. Flying models is not permitted in major Indian metros. I see multirotors as a way out of this.

Currently visiting Vnacouver, BC and looking to buy a Phantom to start. Also will pick up a small X1 or V929 to practice before I go the whole hog with Phantom (Or F450). Sadly local authorities in India are extremely paranoid about all flying devices, so at the airport checkouts they scan luggage for anything that even remotely looks like a flying object. However there is a thriving grey market in these products and I am told one can buy anything for an exorbitant price, of course.

If I don't find a Phantom, I might pick up a F450 kit from the local hobby shop. Its a veritable jungle out there and a tough call to settle down on one thing. I have chosen DJI F450 for the sheer simplicity and ease of assembly. I am not buying a Radio and hoping that I will be able to bind my old Futaba T6XA and the associated receiver with the F450 ( Still not decided about the controller, but might end up picking the NAZA-M, although its kinda pricy for a beginner like me.)

I look forward to my active participation in this forum, and if there are any quad flyers here from New Delhi, would love to exchange notes with them.

In addition I have been involved with Ham Radio for a number of years and quite comfortable with basic electronics and soldering etc. After initial success with RTF and ARF stuff, will move on to building quads from scratch.

Thanks for letting me in.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Wild Geezer and welcome to MRF.

Bugger about the authorities. How paranoid are they? In my long term plan I wanted to return to Zangskar and film the frozen river migration. My be I would have to split it down into various parts and ship in different peoples gear than assemble again while in Padum. I would have loved to film the early morning Delhi sky and the slow wake up of the city and the Red Fort. I really did not contemplate there being an issue..

Anyhow the Phantom is a good beginner out of the box combo IF you can get it home. The F450 WKM is my preferred light weight travel MR especially now with the GP3. I don't think your Futuba T6XA will have enough channels for the Naza. You will also ned a three way switch to facillitate all its features.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Dave

PS. me and my old adventuring buddy call each other Geeeeez all then time!

What you do out in India?

Aye Up Wild Geezer and welcome to MRF.

Bugger about the authorities. How paranoid are they? In my long term plan I wanted to return to Zangskar and film the frozen river migration. My be I would have to split it down into various parts and ship in different peoples gear than assemble again while in Padum. I would have loved to film the early morning Delhi sky and the slow wake up of the city and the Red Fort. I really did not contemplate there being an issue..

Anyhow the Phantom is a good beginner out of the box combo IF you can get it home. The F450 WKM is my preferred light weight travel MR especially now with the GP3. I don't think your Futuba T6XA will have enough channels for the Naza. You will also ned a three way switch to facillitate all its features.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Dave

PS. me and my old adventuring buddy call each other Geeeeez all then time!

What you do out in India?

Dave

Apologise for the late reply. Vancouver is such an awesome place. So much to see. Cant stay at home.

Red Fort is a big No No. Its like flying around the Taj Mahal ! High security area. Zanskar should be no issues. Just dont advertise too much. Bring in a kit and asemble in your hotel room. Remember Ladakh region borders with Pakistan and China, our two most friendly neighbours !

Also on second thoughts, Red Fort would be a great area to film from a multirotor. There is so much "Life" all around, one might be truly amazed at the results. Its like no other place on earth, people wise. Imagine several million people cramped in just a few square miles ! Just check out on google earth and you will get an idea.

Futaba is six channels. Don't think I need more. The basic issue is of compatibility of the two. I am leVng back middle of next week, so still some time to browse. If i cant buy a Phantom, I am picking up following from local hobby store.

F450 Kit
NAZA M
2200 mAH LiPo
Charger

And hoping I can somehow make it work. If it doesnt, I know I have help always available here on this forum. Thanks and regards.

ps: I am in manufacturing business and serve the printing industry locally.

Dave

Apologise for the late reply. Vancouver is such an awesome place. So much to see. Cant stay at home.

Red Fort is a big No No. Its like flying around the Taj Mahal ! High security area. Zanskar should be no issues. Just dont advertise too much. Bring in a kit and asemble in your hotel room. Remember Ladakh region borders with Pakistan and China, our two most friendly neighbours !

Also on second thoughts, Red Fort would be a great area to film from a multirotor. There is so much "Life" all around, one might be truly amazed at the results. Its like no other place on earth, people wise. Imagine several million people cramped in just a few square miles ! Just check out on google earth and you will get an idea.

Futaba is six channels. Don't think I need more. The basic issue is of compatibility of the two. I am leVng back middle of next week, so still some time to browse. If i cant buy a Phantom, I am picking up following from local hobby store.

F450 Kit
NAZA M
2200 mAH LiPo
Charger

And hoping I can somehow make it work. If it doesnt, I know I have help always available here on this forum. Thanks and regards.

ps: I am in manufacturing business and serve the printing industry locally.

This is the story so far !

I could not find a Phantom at LHS so picked up a F450 Kit. There was no complete ARF kit so it was quickly scratch built for me by Vancouver LHS. I also bought a Syma 107G and X1 from a Craigslist seller. The X1 flies 8 minutes per charge, but drifts outdoors on a windy day.

Been having a ball both with the 107G indoors and the X1 a little bit out when its not windy. Great bang for the buck. plan to start assembling the 450 later this weekend. After a lot of research, just acquired a small bottle of Loctite 242 Blue for a threadlocker ! Have a pair of 2200 mAH Top Flite 3S Lipos that should serve me 8+ minutes flight time per charge.

Hoping I can pair it with my vintage T6XA. If not will have to empty bank and buy a new 2.4 GHz system. Thanks for your support. Will post pix and videos of my progress.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
This is the story so far !

I could not find a Phantom at LHS so picked up a F450 Kit. There was no complete ARF kit so it was quickly scratch built for me by Vancouver LHS. I also bought a Syma 107G and X1 from a Craigslist seller. The X1 flies 8 minutes per charge, but drifts outdoors on a windy day.

Been having a ball both with the 107G indoors and the X1 a little bit out when its not windy. Great bang for the buck. plan to start assembling the 450 later this weekend. After a lot of research, just acquired a small bottle of Loctite 242 Blue for a threadlocker ! Have a pair of 2200 mAH Top Flite 3S Lipos that should serve me 8+ minutes flight time per charge.

Hoping I can pair it with my vintage T6XA. If not will have to empty bank and buy a new 2.4 GHz system. Thanks for your support. Will post pix and videos of my progress.

Hello Wildgeezer

Welcome to the site and good luck with the build. I make it to NEw Delhi from time to time, it would be nice to come visit with the local multi-rotor community (even if it is just you for now :) ) the next time I pass through.

Bart

Hello Wildgeezer

Welcome to the site and good luck with the build. I make it to NEw Delhi from time to time, it would be nice to come visit with the local multi-rotor community (even if it is just you for now :) ) the next time I pass through.

Bart

Bart

i have sorted out most of small ticklish issues and am all set to start this weekend. In the meantime batteries of both my Syma toys, X1 and S107G have gone kaput and i am grounded. I have been able to find a guy locally who flies multirotors in my area. So that makes the two of us ! Message me when you plan to come here and we will get together. Thanks.