Hello everyone, another newbie here with an ESC question

I have a quad copter with the KK 2.1 board, I was able to fly it with out much a problem aside from a little oscillation in self level mode, but anyway I recently replaced all my motors due to the difficulty of finding props for the stock motors. After installing the new motors I noticed that one of the motors would not spin, even after calibrating the ESCs pushing buttons 1 and 4 (Which never seems to work anyway) so switched motors around to make sure one of my new motors wasn't bad and it wasn't. So I determined I had a bad ESC. So I bought a new ESC (Different brand and a 35a vs. 30a stock one). The motor with the new ESC will spin faster and start spinning before the other 3. When try calibrating the ESC's pushing buttons 1 and 4 and having the TX throttle all he way up it will either do the beeps but never give me the beeps that says it finished the calibration or all the motors will spin up and remain that way as long as I hold down the buttons. What am I doing wrong? Is not working because I have one ESC that is different?

Thanks a lot in advanced for any help! :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
To clarify, you now have 3 identical ESCs, and 1 ESC which is different? If so, not sure that's a good idea. Hopefully someone else will chime in here - but I'm pretty sure you want to have matched ESCs - and everything else for that matter.

One thing you might check it that your power distribution is working correctly. I just had an issue with mine where 1 ESC was not getting power. Actually it was intermittent, making it even more difficult to trace. Sounds like you're having a different issue - but worth checking anyway.

Also, make sure you add as much detail to your question so that people can help you better. What type of quad? Which brand ESC/motor etc.

Make sure you put your location in your profile so people know where you're at.

Good luck.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

I do not think the KK board can calibrate ESC's if they are not of the same amperage. I would want to have 4 matched ESC's for the similarity of operating characteristics.

I do not think the KK board can calibrate ESC's if they are not of the same amperage. I would want to have 4 matched ESC's for the similarity of operating characteristics.

Yeah, I kind of suspected that, the 3 that are working are HK ESCs and the new one is made by Patriot. The new one cost me $44 where the HK ones are only $16, big difference in price.
I have the Bumble bee 550 btw. Thanks for the help.

sledge57

Just curious Mustangbill, where are you from? Michigan - Ohio area and do you have RC Rock Crawlers?

Lar176

Try these for a cheap fix

the 3 esc probably have different firmware then the new one. I use the afro esc from hobbyking. it already has the simon k firmware. I also use the turnigy multistar but had to flash the esc's with simon k firmware. the instructions are on hobbyking site in the files section. Here is a link to the afro esc's. cheapest and easiest. Also flash your KK board to newest firmware 1.5 or 1.6 if it's not done already. When you plug in battery it flashes the version for just a second. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Motor_Speed_Controller_SimonK_Firmware_.html

the 3 esc probably have different firmware then the new one. I use the afro esc from hobbyking. it already has the simon k firmware. I also use the turnigy multistar but had to flash the esc's with simon k firmware. the instructions are on hobbyking site in the files section. Here is a link to the afro esc's. cheapest and easiest. Also flash your KK board to newest firmware 1.5 or 1.6 if it's not done already. When you plug in battery it flashes the version for just a second. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Motor_Speed_Controller_SimonK_Firmware_.html

I think the firmware on my KK board is 1.5, but I don't know what I need to connect the board to the computer to update. I'm going to order a new ESC today from HK so that they all match. Thanks for help.

Lar176

that is correct moto

Moto posted the part but I looked at your first post and you have KK2.1 which already has firmware 1.5 on it so you really don't need it anyways, but nice to have for the future when it's not on back order. Good luck

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Moto posted the part but I looked at your first post and you have KK2.1 which already has firmware 1.5 on it so you really don't need it anyways, but nice to have for the future when it's not on back order. Good luck

I think THIS one may work - I used ot for flashing the SimonK firmware to my ESCs. But they may be the same type of USBasp.

jbrumberg

I do not follow the KK thread at RCG very closely, but I get the impression that if one has version 1.5 or 1.6 on the KK2.0 one is in pretty good shape. I think there was some gyro/accelerometer sensitiviity tweaking going on with those versions, but the real problems were in earlier versions.

That flash tool gizmo thingie thing is the thing to use.