Had a silly idea but thought I should ask the experts

Arowx

Hi guys and girls,

OK I've been making a computer game called LGM - Pizza Delivery Rocketeer, you play as a Little Green Man delivering pizzas with a jetpack, the game is designed to work with the Oculus Rift a stereoscopic VR headset.

Anyway that got me thinking with the 3D immersion you get with the Rift you could probably have a much easier job of piloting a Multi-Rotor rig. So naturally I thought wow, could you actually set up a pizza delivery system with a fleet of VR headsets and Multi-rotor RC rigs?

I have seen online videos of people using the Rift to Pilot an Quadrotor, and a Quadrotor lifting a six pack of beers, so it looks on the surface like this is possible, could I ask for your thoughts and inputs or do you know anyone who has delivers pizza (or anything else) using a Multi-rotor rig?

tstrike

pendejo grande
Have you ever delivered pizza's? It's hard enough to get some people to pay for their order when you're standing there face to face. We get a lot of snow here in Utah, the thought of having to go out in january to clear a LZ kind of puts me off pies, but then again I guess weather would limit deliveries.

Battery life is going to be another big problem (not to mention plenty of others like weather, transmitter ranges, FAA regs, etc.). I don't think you'll get good enough battery life to lift pizzas and get more than a half-mile range out of, or maybe a mile. I also think your costs are going to be make it a non starter. People barely want to pay a couple of bucks for delivery as it is, and the cost to fly an MR that could lift pizzas and all the other business intangeable, would far exceed that.

ChrisViperM

I am sure most members on this forum know it already, but you might enjoy this video:

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Arowx

Well over the last few weeks I have virtually delivered probably about 100 pizzas via jetpack, in the real world none, but ordered a few and paid for them.

As the Pizza Delivery Drone would not have a way to accept payments the system would have to be pay online, up front.

Why would you need to clear an LZ the pizza could be dropped into a handy pizza net you setup out of your window with a unique id code?

What kind of weather would prevent a Multi-rotor from flying?

So the range is very limited, are there any lift/range challenges or competitions in MR?

tstrike

pendejo grande
Wind and rain would shut it down. Weight would constantly be changing depending on type of pizza ordered, and if I have to house a net to catch my pie, it better be some damn fine pizza...

Arowx

So what would be the best approach to carry a pizza box or two say 2+ kg with a Multi-Rotor with a 5-10 mile radius, having one large quadrotor or smart swarm of them?

Quadrotors seem cool but I'm guessing are limited in speed, due to the lack of aerofoils in their design, has anyone made a Quad tilt rotor, which could travel further and faster e.g. Osprey tilt rotor.

So what would be the best approach to carry a pizza box or two say 2+ kg with a Multi-Rotor with a 5-10 mile radius, having one large quadrotor or smart swarm of them?
Quadrotors seem cool but I'm guessing are limited in speed, due to the lack of aerofoils in their design, has anyone made a Quad tilt rotor, which could travel further and faster e.g. Osprey tilt rotor.
Me personally, I just don't think the technology and structure are there yet.... this in terms of range, battery life, reliability, payload capacity. I think a tilt rotor might help in some of these areas, but I am not aware of one being available yet.
The other problem is government regulations. The FAA is currently drafting all kinds of regulations for UAVs/Drones/RC Aircraft, and a concept like this will fall squarely within those regs, and will include all kinds of equipment certification and public safety regulations.

Arowx

This is just me doing some 'pie in the sky', dreaming. I'm based in the UK so even if I went ahead with this as a business it would be dependent upon the UK's Civil Aviation Laws.

Maybe what we need is an XPrize style challenge sponsored by Domino's or Pizza Hut. Who can deliver the most pizza and outdo conventional delivery systems.

It should definitely get lots of students interested! :tennis:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I'm glad someone said it Chris! There have been a few attempts at this and they've all been grounded for various reasons. It's just not practical yet.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hi guys and girls,...

Tell you what mate, just be thankful there are some really polite and patient people around here that actually give you and your ... erm ... reely, reely, 'mazin', triffic'ly, super idea the time of day.

ChrisViperM

Just glad that there is no man-carrying RC-copters arround.......next business idea would be copter-delivered hookers.....

Chris

Personally, I dont care about the pizza delivery by drone gig. I'd love try an occulus rift to pilot a multicopter, though. But then I think about it and how awkward the occulus realy is...
It's big and clunky. Fat Sharks, please!!!
Now, fitting the occulus or some tracking fat sharks to the size of say... Ray Bans. Now we're talking!
We'll be 3D printing those soon in our FPV Labs of the future. Love the idea of your game ArrowX.