New to Naza-M v2

jfro

Aerial Fun
Going to be setting up x8 tomorrow with Naza-M v2, first time Naza user.
Using with Turnigy 40amp plush.

Do some research tonight so I though I'd start a thread that I could use to ask questions as I tackle a new flight controller.

1st up........
From Naza manual " If you use 3rd party ESCs, make sure the ESCs travel
midpoint is at 1520us. DO NOT use 700us travel midpoint ESC, as it
may lead aircraft to fly away or cause injury and damage. After ESCs
connection , calibrate ESCs one by one through the receiver directly
before connect them to your MC, Make sure program all of them into
Governor off, Break off and Normal Start up to get best experience."

My current settings are :

Brake off
Battery Type NiMh/Nicd
Cutoff Mode Cut Off
Cutoff Threshold Low
Startup Mode Normal
Timing Medium

I assume these should work. I just don't know what the travel mid point of the 40amp plushes are, how to check them, or change them if possible. Any suggestions. Will be running 8 Avroto 2814-11's. on 4s 40c batteries.

mongo

lost soul
uhh, might want to set the cut off mode to slow rather than instant off. think about it fer a few and it will become apparent.

someone else will have to tell ya about the plush middpoint. i do use plush 40s with my V1, no problems to report.

kloner

Aerial DP
no, you want instant off per the hoverfly setup.... that is basicaly what the general paramters so it can not shut off.... nicd/nimh being the key

That video i showed you was naza v2 with plush 60 with your exact settings cause mine too were out of a hfp setup

jfro

Aerial Fun
no, you want instant off per the hoverfly setup.... that is basicaly what the general paramters so it can not shut off.... nicd/nimh being the key

That video i showed you was naza v2 with plush 60 with your exact settings cause mine too were out of a hfp setup

Kloner. Thanks. Piece of mind on that one.

Am I crazy, or is the rotation for x8 exact opposite of HoverFly. If so, Pain in butt cause I solder all 5x8 esc connections, so now I got a couple hours of un-soldering and re-soldering 16 connections to switch motor rotation..... I also assume that means I swap uppper and lower props?

I'm connecting everything right now. Never used S-Bus. Question, if I use S Bus, can I get a channel or 2 out for analog. Currently, I had been using 5 or 6 analog channels for my Hoverfly, and then using channel 7 for a direct analog link to my pitch on my gimbal. Not sure what happens when I used S-Bus as to whether or not I can get a direct connect to my gimbal....

I assume peeps are using epoxy or super glue to put the 2 aluminum ends on the pol for the gps and then the supplied 3m double sided tape to mount the base to copter and gps to top of pole?

I'm thinking of drilling a hole in my dome and having the pole stick out through the dome for an inch or 2 with GPS on top. Any issues with this?

Thanks all.....

jfro

Aerial Fun
Another dumb question.

Esc wires to NAZA from Turnigy are black red and white. Connector is not knotch so which wire goes on notch side?
Do I disconnect the center red wire on 7 or the 8, like I did on the HoverFly Pro. I don't see any mention of that.

Googled over 30 minutes looking for answers on which cable is which from esc to NAZA. Guessing it's right in front of nose and can't find it...

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
On the Naza the white wire goes to the bottom pin, no need for any other wires, you can leave the black one but it is optional. My TBS ESC's only have the white wire anyway.

Pete

jfro

Aerial Fun
Thanks pete. I found someone who said to put black on top, which put my white on bottom. First flight was a few hours ago. Just flew in manual mode, not ready to try others yet.

Wasn't too bad. Still playing with gains. Only issue I have so far is the a slight yaw. I seem to have a slight recoil type action when I'm yaw clockwise. If it's doing it on counterclockwise, it's not as noticeable. I'm not sure if it's the gains or something else. Props are balanced and motors are aligned...

jfro

Aerial Fun
Wondering if someone can give me some more insight into gains on the Naza-M in the manual and ATT mode. I'm about to graduate from manual to ATT and GPS flying.

I've been tuning my NAZA M V2, xy8 (12lbs) Avroto 2814 in manual mode. I have it flying ok, but suspect I'm not dialed in yet. Since this is my first build, I only have how the HFP flies on same rig to compare it to and although the Naza-M v2 flies ok with no wind, when I get a bit of breeze, it's a little more nerve racking as it's not as stable. Haven't been in heavy wind yet, but the HFP flew very nicely in high winds. Consequently, I'm guessing I still don't have the manual gains dialed in properly on the NAZA.

Besides being more stressful flying in light wind, another issue is the yaw is not as steady as I'd like. There seems to be a slight recoil if I yaw and return the stick quickly to neutral when hovering or very slow flying Been playing with gains and making slow progress.

I made my first ATT flight today and and have no idea if it reacted properly or not. It was end of battery so it was only for 30 seconds. It seemed steady, took off nicely, but forward / back/ left / right are extremely slow responding. Is this normal?

I'm not sure I remember my last settings, but pitch, roll, yaw, & vertical are set around 70 70 75 95... I haven't touched the ATT pitch and roll, so they are still at defaults whatever that is....

I've read the manual more than once and still not sure what I should do with the ATT pitch and roll gains.

I'm going to recalibrate the compass tomorrow and see if that helps with the yaw and maybe stability in some wind.

I'd be very appreciative of some guidance here. Have 3 nice days coming up with sun and light winds, so am going to do some ATT flying and try my first GPS flying tomorrow. I'd like to feel good enough to mount a gimbal and do some flying .

kloner

Aerial DP
i've never been around a naza that wasn't at least 100 or higher in manual gains, 90-120 on atti. what was it doing that made you turn it down so far?

naza is never going to be as solid as hfp in manual, but who flies that and owns a naza..... i'm atti all the time. take off, land, shoot, etc. it never gets turned off..... may as well not even have the switch in my case

Out of curiosity to all you NAZA flyers, have any of you experienced any sudden, unresponsive flyaways that lead to your copters being destroyed? My S800 & NEO 660 were both using the same Wookong M when they crashed. I'm inclined to rebuild a NEO 660 using NAZA because the total cost is just under $1000. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
in my experiance flyaways are often to do with vibrations or mechanical failures. I send my jib up anywhere, and i mean anywhere and never had a direct problem with the controller. I've fried motors that sent it in once, fried a power filter another time to the flight controller and it just shut off. prop balancing, motor bearings sucking or just bad build quality will make them do the flyaways

you should be able to power up the rig propless and spin it up in manual and not feel a motor in the arm out in front of it. if you do, there ya go. Props should be balanced to the 1 millionth degree, magnetic balancers and sand paper along with quality props are all i'll touch anymore.

jfro

Aerial Fun
i've never been around a naza that wasn't at least 100 or higher in manual gains, 90-120 on atti. what was it doing that made you turn it down so far?

naza is never going to be as solid as hfp in manual, but who flies that and owns a naza..... i'm atti all the time. take off, land, shoot, etc. it never gets turned off..... may as well not even have the switch in my case

I was just trying to blunt the slight recoil in the yaw. It's possible it could just be my left thumb that cause the little come back after the yaw....

I put my gimbal and gh2 on the xy8 today. I did run the gains above 100 and gave them a try. Light winds so am going to keep at it today. I guess I'll fly in ATT mode.

Can you tell me what it should feel like. This will be strictly for video and an occasion still photograph. Is it just like a slow flyer in ATT or are you doing your high speed go far flying down the rail road tracks?

Kloner, I saw some posts of yours on the Discovery Pro. Do I understand that you are building yours for/with 6s batteries and low kv motors and 21.5mm carbon arms? What motors, props, * flying time??????

kloner

Aerial DP
you aren't suppose to chase recoil, your chasing high speed oscilations or not. The higher those gains are without wa,wa,wa,wa the more it'll feel like hfp in manual. atti is the one your gonna chase with bouncing back to level,,,,,, try 120 on the manual line, 90 on the atti line and try it

i'm blazing down the tracks in atti.......... all my flights, everything you've seen as aerial mob has been naza and wookong in atti. no gps mode, too much input dji for me

yes we are, can carry up to 10 amp hours and fly well over a half hour. up to 15" props, 6s on 360-500 kv motors ish

jfro

Aerial Fun
you aren't suppose to chase recoil, your chasing high speed oscilations or not. The higher those gains are without wa,wa,wa,wa the more it'll feel like hfp in manual. atti is the one your gonna chase with bouncing back to level,,,,,, try 120 on the manual line, 90 on the atti line and try it

i'm blazing down the tracks in atti.......... all my flights, everything you've seen as aerial mob has been naza and wookong in atti. no gps mode, too much input dji for me

yes we are, can carry up to 10 amp hours and fly well over a half hour. up to 15" props, 6s on 360-500 kv motors ish

I flew rest of day in ATT mode and it handles much better.

Tried your settings and they worked pretty good with 12" props. After a few flights I went back to 11" props. Yaw went crazy on take off on couple take off attempts, so reset defaults and then put the gains back in. Flew ok, but rain out of daylight to see if I could keep the gains up. No wind weekend, so hopefully I'll get her dialed in.

How many batteries, mah, and c rating to get 30 minutes of flight time? Do you have any idea what the lead time to get a discovery pro frame is?

Thanks for your help today.