Guess what? another newbie

So after many years fettling with R/C cars and boats, I've been tempted to head for the skies...

I've gone for a little bundle from Buzzflier which should more than get me started I hope (and I gather probably is a little more advanced than it needs to be for a beginner, however as I'm determined to get this working well, it seemed silly to skimp a few £ with the most basic kit).

so I have:

F450 Flamewheel kit (inc motors, props and speed controls)
Naza-M V2 flight controller with GPS thingy
Devo 10 controller & receiver (I already have a 10 channel Tx/Rx but as it's an old school 40Mhz (iirc) unit decided to go for something that is more usual to use for aircraft)
A s3 LiPo (can't remmeber rating) and a balanced charger

This all arrived this morning, and I will now try to decifer how it all goes together, but that should be fairly straight forward.

One thing I've noticed already is that the kit comes with different blade sets - one set are 8" and one are 10" (not sure if the pitch is different) ho do I know which to use? one assumes they will behave differently depending on payload, performance required etc)

another question is should I use threadlock? Seems to make sense to use it, but had some bad experiences in the past that have lead to me having to drill out old bolts etc... anyone recomeend a particular brand/type?

Many thanks all

Oh, and my Name is Ed hello!

jbrumberg

Welcome Ed-

As to the threadlock, I only use the blue stuff and only with application to metal to metal threading. It appears to melt plastic. Post freely and often.

Good luck:)

With a 3s LiPo I'd recommend sticking to the 10" props for sure.
If you choose to move up to a 4s LiPo then give the 8" props a go.
I find with 3s the 845 props I have don't give enough lift, with a 4s I find that the 845 props are more stable than 1045 props while still giving sufficient lift.
(1045 = 10 x 4.5", 845 = 8 x 4.5")

As for threadlock I tend to avoid it and tighten screws after every flight as I like to chop and change my set up a lot, if you do choose to use it be sure you only use it on metal, it can melt plastics.

Excellent, so 10" rotors then. Ive got loads of other questions now ive opened the boxes, so will start a fresh thread in the beginners lounge I think

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Ed

Welcome to MRF..

I am sure you will get all the help you need to get your bird airborne. Good luck with the build and I would saty away from thread lock. Best use a good preflight checklist and after a long days flying check everything again.. with thread lock you just cant change stuff that easily.

Dave

SkyDyno

Welcome Balmy... not been here long myself, but had some great advice... they're a good,helpful and friendly bunch. Anything I can do to help in return, just ask.

Just finished a F550.. I took the 10" props and it flies lovely..