GST (Import tax) when buying from Hobbyking, Any experience?

andrewrob

Hi all
I ordered 6x 5800mah batteries from Hobbyking china and my tracking information is showing that its been held pending payment of GST.
Does anyone have any experience of this or give any indication of the kind of money I'd have to pay?
Thanks

matwelli

Whatever your country's tax rate is, usually 15% of the value, plus a clearance fee( in New Zealand its $60)

Normally only get stung when the declared value is over a certain threshold, here its $400 for Aussies its $180 I think.

What was the declared value? Normally HK declares the value at 30% of the real value

Efliernz

Pete
@andrewrob... which country?

@Matwelli: I was up doing some project work with Stacky and we dropped into "Speedi Models" that are now importing large quantities of HK stuff. He will not be importing any more of the large warbird foam planes as gst and postage has made it uneconomic to do so. I have still not been pinged on any of my imports - including a very large ARF Patternship from Aussie.

Pete

matwelli

@Pete I have never been pinged on RC stuff luckily, even with a declared value at $1600, just lucky :)

andrewrob

Sorry Pete I forgot to say. UK, I've ordered quite a bit from hobbyking before and been fine but this is the most expensive yet. Did a bit of research online and found someone on another forum that had ordered 6x 6S 5000mah batteries and only had to pay £30 including a £15 royal mail handling fee so not too bad.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi andrewrob

ive ordered quite a bit of stuff from them in the past and had no probs

try giving them a call

maybe because its multiples of the same item they think its for resale etc

could be weight thing also may just end up paying abit extra for carrige now it in the uk

as ive had this happen before when ordering from different places around the world

would be intrested to know the outcome

keith

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Hi all
I ordered 6x 5800mah batteries from Hobbyking china and my tracking information is showing that its been held pending payment of GST.
Does anyone have any experience of this or give any indication of the kind of money I'd have to pay?
Thanks

I ordered batteries and had to pay import duty on it, can't remember exact amount but I think it might be 20% as per our VAT. No other fees, I simply went to Royal Mails local office, paid them and picked up my parcel.

Gunter.

andrewrob

Gunter, did you wait for the letter from royal mail or did you ring them up?
Also thanks for your help with me and Dom the other day trying to get the AD6 to start up, it was me talking to you through his account!

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Gunter, did you wait for the letter from royal mail or did you ring them up?
Also thanks for your help with me and Dom the other day trying to get the AD6 to start up, it was me talking to you through his account!

Yes, they sent a letter and I called the number on the card.

No probs, it's great that you got it right in the end! Nice looking setup you have.

Gunter.

Macsgrafs

Andrew, if its parcelfarce, then they send you through a letter, bit liek your new pin number for a credit card. You can then go online & pay with your card, they dispatch it the next day after payment normally.
I had a big problem with DHL recently, they deliver the goods then send an invoice. But I got wise to this & researched the Bill of Exchange act & asked DHL for the opriginal customs invoice...which they refused to supply. they proomptly handed me over to a credit company who added £40 on top & wanted £138.99! I sent them a letter asking for the original customs invoice as is my right ( I mean who pays a bill without the original being in their possesion?). these credit people replied saying they were NOT going to pay my charges of £250 per letter or phone call or even my £5000 per day or part thereof for any court appearance...so I refused to pay their £40 admin charges...nothing heard since!

If you know how to play the game, you can get things duty free.....especially if the custoims sticker on your parcel has "Samples" on it ;)

Ross

andrewrob

Thanks for the heads up Ross. I'm hoping this is Parcel Force as it says on my tracking information that its been held (rather than being delivered anyway like your DHL package). Will let you know how it goes.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
very different in austria concerning hobby part from china they are not letting anything threw anymore. From my 6 orders i had coming from hobbyking they kept them all in and didn't give them out before i didn't show them some proof of the actual transaction etc. Once I picked the stuff up myself and talked to the person incharge and he said he is aware that hobbyking has an option to put down the declared value from the actual price and they are not stupid knowing that a 5 kg package with 8 lipos in them will not be worth 150 $.

But luckily i have hobbyking europe opening and semi open already 5 min away from me :)

Boris

andrewrob

Got hold of them by phone and used the tracking number in the end. Turns out I had sent it to work too so that would explain why I haven't seen the letter yet!
Charge was £27 so not too bad. I'll buy from Germany next time! I'm very jealous of your new hobbyking warehouse Boris.