Group Build 2016, Let's get it on!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
So, let's review where we've been and what we've done......

Group Build 2014 was our basic quad, meant to get people off the fence and into their shops with a pile of parts and the confidence to get started. I'd say it was very successful as the thread is still going and there have been over 100k thread views!

Group Build 2015 was our FPV Racing Quad....not quite as popular as the basic quad but I was a little preoccupied at the time and didn't do as good of a job getting it done.

For 2016 I'm leaning towards a more general purpose FPV quadcopter build, kinda sorta a combination of the two other builds, elements of a basic quad and elements of an FPV racer, something that will let you go out and fly for fun in a big field and learn the ropes of FPV flight control or take to the trees or abandoned buildings of your world for some close proximity flying.

Whatever your flavor, we'll cover all of the details of the gear that goes into it and in the end you'll be flying FPV with a pretty good idea of how you got there.

Now, to pick a frame, I've got an idea for mine, what are you thinking you'd like to use? We don't have to all build the same thing but having a common format does make it easier for the more ardent of fence-sitters to get excited about.

Ideas?

We'll discuss this for as long as we need to and then try to get building right after that. I'll try to get as much info delivered via video and photos plus your questions along the way will catch any gaps I might leave in my wake.

JDFelosi

I'd say a flamewheel or disco "style" would be the most readily available and probably the cheapest option. The kids in our flight school this year will be building f450's would be a nice tie-in to get them in the forums with build logs in a group build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

I'd say a flamewheel or disco "style" would be the most readily available and probably the cheapest option. The kids in our flight school this year will be building f450's would be a nice tie-in to get them in the forums with build logs in a group build

i was thinking a discovery style frame would be cool but one that uses Flamewheel style arms so that replacement parts can be easily sourced. size ought to be just enough to carry a real battery and the two cameras mentioned in the first post plus everything else that would be needed.

JDFelosi

i was thinking a discovery style frame would be cool but one that uses Flamewheel style arms so that replacement parts can be easily sourced. size ought to be just enough to carry a real battery and the two cameras mentioned in the first post plus everything else that would be needed.

The TBS Discovery does use DJI arms

Bartman

Thanks! that's good to know. I've never looked into the Discovery airframe specifically as a potential purchase so some of the details elude me.

Since the build will be more about getting set up for FPV and not necessarily about the basics of just getting a quad to fly, there will be more flexibility in what each person decides to build/fly. Don't get me wrong, we'll be here answering questions so there isn't any reason why someone would have to hold back a question but we won't turn our nose up at anyone if they buy one frame or another. In fact, if I were making a purchase to do this build as someone new to RC or to FPV specifically I'd buy the cheapest frame kit and motors/ESC's that I could find (without it being complete and utter garbage of course) but I'd be building with the understanding that there will be some crashing and with crashing you don't really want to put your best gear repeatedly into the dirt.

I've got a Flamewheel F450 that I recently balled up and so it's in need of repair. For this build I think I'm going to strip and scrap the F450 and buy an F550......but, and this shouldn't be a surprise for anyone that knows me, I'm going to build it as a quad with my beloved XY format leaving the front and rear tabs for mounting FPV gear such as the camera and video transmitter.

My second choice would be a Discovery type layout but if it were my first build I probably wouldn't go with a name brand frame.

With frames especially, don't believe for a second that you can't build your own. If you can cut a stick, drill a hole, and smear epoxy then you can build a frame that will fly great, hold all of your gear, and allow you to learn with a satisfaction rating way above any store bought frame. Look at what @fengshuidrone built above with carbon fiber raw materials (I'm not sure why he deleted it but it was cool), it worked great! Frames don't make the heli fly great, a good flight controller with motors/props/batteries that are suited for the weight and goals of the build make a heli fly great. Sure, a crappy frame will make the overall product even more crappy but it isn't hard to build a good solid frame from materials you can buy at any home center.

As for the goggles, Hobbyking makes a set of FPV goggles that are ridiculously cheap and actually work ok, especially if you're just getting started and don't want to empty out your bank account learning and deciding if you're even really into it.

Bartman

good questions.......it's something we should consider and as a matter of fact I've been saving a one axis gimbalfrom my original Xaircraft X650 for the same reason.

it's a good topic of conversation for this build although an FPV racer wouldn't be a good candidate for this, IMHO, because a gimbal just adds weight.

let's see what people say about this, i generally think it's probably a good idea and I'll try flying via the camera gimbal with RealFlight Drone and see if it helps at all.

it's beginning to get cold outside so the sim will have to do!

Great site and very informative. I stumbled on to the site yesterday and have no previous experience. That said, I have read the 2014 Group Build and was all set to build based on the DJI F450 frame. I see the 2016 Build has just begun and was wondering, in your experience, would you suggest I go the route of the 2014 Build or would I be able to keep up with you guys for the 2016 Build? I am pretty handy and catch on quickly, but didn't know if the 2016 Build was geared more towards intermediate and advance skill sets (in regards to built and/or flying capability). Any insight appreciated.

Bartman

Hi Kerry and thanks for posting your question in this thread. :)

My intention with this group build is to go through all of the basics again but to also try to remove the mystery surrounding the FPV gear. So we'll do the basic quad build all over again, probably using a NAZE32 type flight control system with OSD (On Screen Display), and with FPV gear.

I'll try to break it down into small enough steps so that anyone can follow along and be successful building, learning, and flying their first FPV quad.

Do you only build on DJI frames w/ integrated PCB? I am not opposed, but hoping to build something that didn't have the integrated PCB so we'd need to source a PCB, mount, etc. I realize it is extra work, but I think it'll help to fully understand all aspects.

Again, open to which ever direction, just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Kerry

F

fengshuidrone

Hey Bartman, I got my posts out of this thread again because they just don't belong here. Posted them in the Builds Thread since I really wasn't participating as part of any group build. Kerrycorcoran, I think any frame you want to use would be a good one for this thread. I think Bartman already stated there were no hard and fast rules as to which frame to use. It might be easier if you do what the rest decide to go with, but maybe you're like me and just can't bring yourself to buy a frame (especially from DJI.)

Last edited:

Bartman

Kerry, I don't think I'm going to use a DJI frame this time as that option was well covered in the 2014 Group Build thread. I'll probably show how to do a wiring harness from scratch this time.

F

fengshuidrone

To see one example of the almost exact description of what he was talking about building (sort of but in MY own way before I knew they were going to post another group build thread and using a home made frame) go checkout my FPV home build from scratch http://multirotorforums.com/threads/carbon-fiber-h-style-quad-build.29318/#post-219105
Bartman, I also got one of those HK Quanum headsets you mentioned. I will post to my build thread more about that when it finally arrives in the mail. Maybe I can preview it for the others and give my honest opinion on it. If you're looking for detailed info on how I did it (the build), my videos kinda suck for the nuts and bolts, but it's easy enough to just look at and figure out how I put it together. OK, I'm done:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bartman, is RealFlight the sim that allows use with a Futaba Tx? I wanted to get into a sim software, but didn't know what software (and what interface cable) I would need.

Any advice?

Bartman

Bartman, is RealFlight the sim that allows use with a Futaba Tx? I wanted to get into a sim software, but didn't know what software (and what interface cable) I would need.

Any advice?

I haven't tried the new RealFlight Drone sim with my own transmitter. There's a special interface cable that you need and they aren't making it anymore. Also, when you first run the software it asks for a registration number from the software disc and from the remote control unit. There's a similar number on the USB interface but I haven't tried to activate the sim software with it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. If nothing else, the controller that is included with the sim software is a lot better than the junky one that they used to include.

In thinking ahead of FVP components and footprint - when adding the FVP Camera and Tx, are they powered with their own power source (battery) or do you piggyback them off the quads battery?

F

fengshuidrone

Mine are going to be powered off the flight battery. Everything from the cam to the transmitter on the quad can run on 3s and both the goggles and receiver run on 3s as well (a separate battery obviously.o_O) I am running a 2200 mah 35c - 70c nano tech for my flight battery and I am just guessing an average flight time of 8 minutes (conservatively.) Even if the cam and TX cuts two minutes off my flight time I will still be ok with my flight times.

Last edited:

Bartman

In thinking ahead of FVP components and footprint - when adding the FVP Camera and Tx, are they powered with their own power source (battery) or do you piggyback them off the quads battery?
you can do it a number of different ways depending on what voltage the camera and/or transmitter are operating on.

Cameras can be 5v, 12v, etc.
Video transmitters can be an even wider variety but most accept a range of voltages like 2S to 8S LiPo power.
Additionally, some video transmitters will also export 5v or 12v power just to power the camera but you have to check with each specific transmitter as they are almost all different. The new DRAK vTX from buddyrc.com can actually supply either 5v or 12v which is pretty handy.

If your vTx doesn't export DC power for a camera you can usually pull 5v from one of the unused red ESC servo wires (along with a ground, pretty handy, eh?). Most flight control boards have built in regulated voltage pads for accessories, check amperage limits first before using it for anything though. You can also use what is referred to as a "buck converter", a cheap voltage regulator available on ebay for about a buck. You can also buy something higher end like a Castle 10A BEC/regulator.

Power for regulators can be pulled directly from the flight packs but make sure they're set accurately to whatever is needed before hooking things up to their output.

Bartman

i lied in an earlier post, last night while shopping for parts to rebuild my XY4 LiM 250 racer I ordered a Hobbyking F550 clone frame that I'm going to build as an XY4 for this build thread. I don't have to use the built in power distribution in the lower frame plate, I can still make a harness. For $20 I couldn't resist the opportunity to do another XY style helicopter! I'm sorry, it's a weakness I suffer from!!!!

lol

Sorry, really out of my element when you started discussing volts and amperage limits. I am now more confused than before - easily done.

For the sake of saving us (newbies) some grief are you planning to (or would you) mind putting together a google document with links for potential part combinations? Was hoping for something that would outline a few (low, medium, expensive costs) options for each section (FVP gear, motors & ESC, Tx/Rx combos, etc). This would help me to order the correct stuff the first time.

I would be willing to build out the document, however would need help populating it with needed (compatible) hardware.