Group Build 2016, Let's get it on!

F

fengshuidrone

Sorry, really out of my element when you started discussing volts and amperage limits. I am now more confused than before - easily done.
I have to ask, if this rather basic tech talk is putting you off, how do you plan on following up with a successful build? I guarantee that if you plan on building a flyable quad, you will need to know all of that stuff before you get done. As long as you are capable of learning this stuff as the build progresses everything will be fine. This is all basic stuff that you will need to know to fly safely as well. The possibilities for mixing and matching parts and assemblies from all the various vendors out there would make it difficult to come up with a definitive build it like this list that you request, but it could be done I guess. There will be parts on the list that you don't understand anything about as well and things like polarity and signal and servo's and what not. You will for sure need to know about polarity when it comes time to hook all your wiring up. Your best bet is to delve into all of this stuff on your own when not following along with the build. Remember, these multirotor things are really not toys. They have sharp blades spinning at ungodly speeds and carry a flammable and unstable device for power. Safety and knowledge will save you from bad things happening when you forget they are not a toy.

Last edited:

Okay, saw various price points, but I'd rather understand the technology behind (and why these components are compatible) versus just buying a kit.

Shocking how MultiWii kits range from $56.00 to over $300.00...

F

fengshuidrone

I
Okay, saw various price points, but I'd rather understand the technology behind (and why these components are compatible) versus just buying a kit.

Shocking how MultiWii kits range from $56.00 to over $300.00...
Yeah, you might not want to start out on Multiwii. They can make people pull their hair out trying to get them to fly.
I would recommend multiwii to a more advanced builder wanting to upgrade from less capable FC's. I heard KK is a good platform to learn to build and fly with. I guarantee that the MW learning curve has beaten more than a few builders, with them giving up in exasperation and swearing off Multiwii as the biggest junk on the market. Why not ask Bartman what FC they plan on going with for the group build. I'm sort of just here following along out of interest and just completed my own built from scratch FPV quad right before this thread got posted.

Last edited:

Okay, got some good stuff in the mail today; received my DJI Hexacopter 550, motors, KK2, ECS and props and the Hubsan FPV X4. Plan is to learn to fly with the Hubsan and learn to build with the DJI. Still looking to source a DJI 450 frame or whatever frame the group decides to go with.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Sorry, really out of my element when you started discussing volts and amperage limits. I am now more confused than before - easily done.

For the sake of saving us (newbies) some grief are you planning to (or would you) mind putting together a google document with links for potential part combinations? Was hoping for something that would outline a few (low, medium, expensive costs) options for each section (FVP gear, motors & ESC, Tx/Rx combos, etc). This would help me to order the correct stuff the first time.

I would be willing to build out the document, however would need help populating it with needed (compatible) hardware.
Kerry, Hang in there, it'll all come together for you if you just follow one step at a time. Let's get a frame picked out that everyone can pick up without too much trouble and then we'll discuss motors, ESC's, batteries, etc.

Bartman

regarding frames, we can build a really killer FPV quad from either an F450 or F550 frame kit. @kerrycorcoran , if you have the F550 let's have you do what I'm doing with my Hobbyking F550 clone and that is we'll build a quad from it with my beloved XY4 format but using a NAZE32 flight controller instead of the KK board that you have. The NAZE32 flies great and can be expanded to included GPS at a later date which we can also make part of this thread once we get ourselves flying. The integrated power distribution is a great feature in any frame and really goes a long way towards making the whole build easier and an overall more positive experience.

Anyone else that is following this have anything to add?

Bartman, sorry, getting amped to get going. Was hoping to get the basic gear ordered before the holidays so I could work on it on in spare time. Holding steady.

Here are some of the goodies!
03_zpsufwh6gab.jpg
02_zpsbdszqkwi.jpg

01_zpsj7twlywt.jpg

Man, this little guy is a blast.
05_zpskdkxipm3.jpg

So glad i purchased the additional 5-pack Battery set. Now I just need to figure out how to make the single USB charge into a multi-charger!

F

fengshuidrone

So glad i purchased the additional 5-pack Battery set. Now I just need to figure out how to make the single USB charge into a multi-charger!
Looking at those props.....looks like you have a mixture of at least three different styles. Make sure when you fly that all the props being flown are of the same style. You mentioned something about a USB charger. There is no practical way to make this into a multi charger. A word about batteries and chargers. LiPo's are expensive. They are also not chemically stable when unbalanced, under charged, or overcharged. They can burst into flames if charged improperly or even in a crash. Most long time electric flyers own and use flame proof charge/storage bags. Back to the expensive part. Since you spent a lot on those batteries you most likely want to use them for a while. Do yourself a favor and buy a proper LiPo balance charger. Skip the USB ones. They will take hours to charge one battery and then, even if its called a "USB Balance Charger" I can most likely guarantee that it will have your expensive batteries unusable in about ten charges. I learned this lesson the hard way. When I built my first quad I bought a cheapo so called balance charger from HK for I think it was $4.95. BIG MISTAKE!!! That thing had my batteries so out of balance that some of the cells dropped below 3 volts on a flight while the other ones were still above 3.7v. When that happens your battery is basically toast. I ended up paying for that proper balance charger plus another two batteries. See what other people use and go with one of those instead. Then learn all you can about using and charging Li Po batteries. It could literally save your life.

@fengshuidrone, I think you may have misunderstood my request. The idea of a multi-charger is simply for the little X4 batteries. I have a Hyperion Charger that will be used for the build quad. As mentioned, I am not firing up the big auad until we complete our build.

In the interim I am using the X4 to learn to fly (and crash).

F

fengshuidrone

@fengshuidrone, I think you may have misunderstood my request. The idea of a multi-charger is simply for the little X4 batteries. I have a Hyperion Charger that will be used for the build quad. As mentioned, I am not firing up the big auad until we complete our build.

In the interim I am using the X4 to learn to fly (and crash).
Oh, I forgot......Sorry:eek:o_O:)

F

fengshuidrone

Okay, for the build, looking at this FC - link

Any input if this is good or bad? Should I be able to find this cheaper (of equal quality)?
I personally have had bad experiences with E-Max stuff. I have had one of their 4 in one ESCs smoke on me as well as one of their 980Kv motors. The one you're looking at is a Chinese clone. I would rate ANYTHING by E-Max to be of dubious quality. Here is a genuine Naze 32 made by AfroFlight. It is not made in China, but Japan. Shop around for something like it. http://www.getfpv.com/full-naze32-flight-controller-rev6-w-pin-headers.html The one in the picture looks kind of dated so don't trust that one. Just look for something NOT made in china. There is one that is basically the same as Naze 32 sold by this guy in Fla. http://www.readytoflyquads.com/the-flip32-deluxe-523 and another that he claims is FPV ready whatever that means in a FC: http://www.readytoflyquads.com/flip32-aio
Bartman has a Naze 32. He can probably recommend a nice one.

Bartman

Kerry

I'd recommend getting a genuine NAZE32 board, not the ACRO version but the full one that can be expanded. Buy it from a reputable dealer in the US like site sponsor GotHeliRC
http://www.gothelirc.com/products/2...ller-board-with-pin-and-breakout-cable/?bc=no

you're jumping ahead of us but if you're comfortable doing that then go ahead. i'll be getting to work on this soon, just trying to get a few other quads built, doing one right now with the OZE32 board, basically a Chinese NAZE32 derivative with OSD built into it.

I am still looking to find my ideal frame, however I did purchase my FC (Naza Full).

Spent a lot of time flying the Hubsan and really loving it. This little thing is a blast to fly outside, although its getting too clod out - boo!

Bartman

I am still looking to find my ideal frame, however I did purchase my FC (Naza Full).

Spent a lot of time flying the Hubsan and really loving it. This little thing is a blast to fly outside, although its getting too clod out - boo!
NAZA or NAZE? NAZA is DJI, NAZE32 is NAZE32.

Naza V2 w/ GPS and iOSD. I went ahead and also purchased a Naze32 Acro. Figured it wouldn't hurt to get some exposure to different FCs.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLJim

Bartman, you should pin this thread. I had missed it because of not catching up on more than a page of posts. Glad it surfaced. I've started getting parts for a 250, but may join this build once I get through some basics and better understand the costs.

Hoki

How about you use the s500 frame cause its cheap and prolly one of the frames most people choose to make there first one.