Greetings from the Washington DC Metro Area

VABrown

Quad Newbie
Hi all - I'm Tom and live about 25 minutes from downtown DC in Springfield, Virginia.

I have just gotten back into the RC hobby after a 20+ year break while my disposable income went to raising our three kids. I bought an ARDrone for my brother this Christmas and was fascinated with its stability. Once I started researching the RC pages I discovered quite the community of multi rotor groups. Since Christmas I have purchased an ARDrone for myself and outfitted it with an RC Rx (aka the MacGyver mod); a Gaui 500X with the GU-344 controller (soon to be upgraded to a DJI Naza); and a DJI F450 Flame frame set with the Naza controller. For indoor practice I have a Blade MCX2 for learning the controller moves. To control all these items I am using the Spektrum DX6i radio.

I have gotten less time flying than I have spent building and repairing. Over the past few weeks I have kept the UPS and FedEx delivery drivers busy as I have ramped up a sizable logistics trail of spare and replacement parts. Weather permitting, I plan to head to the park later today and attempt to miss the two light poles on the field (managed to hit one of them twice already :black_eyed:)

I hope to use this forum frequently to gain knowledge and pass on my future experience.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Welcome to the board, Tom. Looks like you have officially jumped down the rabbit hole. Enjoy the ride!

I'm actually not that far away from you in good old Baltimore. Let me know if you ever want to meet up and do some flying when the weather starts to break.

-Terry

VABrown

Quad Newbie
Terry --

Definitely would be interested in meeting up in warmer weather. My brother and his sons live in Severn just SE of BWI. The boys would love to see some flying and are more than willing to demo their latest Estes rockets.

Talk to you soon,

Tom

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@up Tom.

Welcome to MRF.. I am sure the delivery drivers of every logistics company will know you by the end of the year and will have you logged as a favourite on there sat navs!

Good luck and be sure to jump in before you press 'PAY' if you ant sure on what is the best to buy. I only wish this forum was about when I fist started..

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Welcome Tom! Glad you found us.
I suspect there's another attempt in the works for an East Coast (Middle Atlantic would be fine too) get together? The UK guys are two up on us already so this should be the year to follow through on it.
Enjoy,
Bart

VABrown

Quad Newbie
Thanks Bart! I'll try to stay in the loop with the forum. It looks like one of the more active forums I have come across. I'd be up for attending a mid-Atlantic get together once the weather warms up.

Tom