Graupner Propellers Questions

frviana

Can someone clarify to me one thing ... I look at the threads but couldn't find the answer.

I am planning to upgrade my stock DJI propellers to Graupner and I am between the 9x5 and the 10x5.

My question is:

Do they both have the same fitting (hole) size? Will I have to modify either one of them to fit the stock motors?
I know I may need to use a washer but is that all or I would have to modify the hole of the 9x5?

For running with 4S should I go with 9x5 or 10x5?

DesJardins

9" requires washer and reaming out to 8mm, 10" only requires washer for spacing.
Weight will dictate prop size and many seem to go 9" to help with wind.

So far I'm happy with the 10"

frviana

Just ordered 10". I was afraid of screwing up with the balance of the prop of if I had to drill to expand the bore.
I plan on running the 10" on 4S... I will post my results.

With the cost of those new props I will have to be very careful to avoid branches and trees now :)

Bella7821

You should just use the stock DJI props until your fairly confident that you're not going to be bumping into trees or branches.
At $10 a piece for the Graupners, that adds up quickly.
And don't fly high up with the stock props, mine only last about 15 flights on average before one breaks and I crash.

I only use the Graupners now, but I'm trying learning FPV in close quarters and I'll use the stock props for that since I'm sure I'll be bumping into a tree here and there.

Also, on both my F550's and F450 when I put on Graupners I've never needed a spacer.

frviana

Bella7821 - Thank for the tips... I was already thinking about that... indeed they aren't cheap.
I have already removed my FPV electronics from it and I am sticking in better learning how to fly this thing well for now.

DesJardins

Not sure how you guys are getting away with no spacers on the Graupners... Mine were not "confident" tight without them.
:shrug:

kloner

Aerial DP
that's the nice part about running a regular 4mm shaft motor. Them $3 graupner prop adapters make it all go away

they should use em, if something ever acts strange in flight, even to the point of crashing i'd be looking that direction for an answer

Guys, I may be out on that one but here is how I see it. I have experienced prop failure with the stock DJI props. I mean I was established in a hover for 10 solid seconds with Gopro recording all all and... the deadly TIC..... 1/2 of a prop flew away! No previous crashes, all props staticly balanced on a magnetic table and TIC anyhow!!! From that time on, NO more DJI props for me, under no consideration. The APC 10X4.7 are reliable and cost well under 5 bucks each! I would rather not fly than to take a chance on a DJI prop. Are you willing to drop your ship from 30 feet of the concrete with no fault of yours or to hurt someone if a prop failure take place? Who can say they can control the quad trajectory with 1 prop missing? Scr** me once, shame on you, scr** me twice, shame on me!!!

Case closed!

I feel compell to say that I am very satisfy with DJI quality with their design and parts fitting. Owning A F450 and a F550 fully loaded (NAZA + GPS), I can not say that I do not fully enjoy DJI products! It's just that the props sucks... the rest is great!

cpmboy

9" requires washer and reaming out to 8mm, 10" only requires washer for spacing.
Weight will dictate prop size and many seem to go 9" to help with wind.

So far I'm happy with the 10"
I have the 10" ...last time one the props flew off bcoz of a loosed nut (no spacer/washer). Where to get those ...spacer/washer?........abt the stock prop....fortunately I hvnt had a broken one (on air/during flying)....but it broke during setting on the bench....the nut was too tight and during spooling, the prop center broke into 2 pieces. That was the 8".

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

Guys, I may be out on that one but here is how I see it. I have experienced prop failure with the stock DJI props. I mean I was established in a hover for 10 solid seconds with Gopro recording all all and... the deadly TIC..... 1/2 of a prop flew away! No previous crashes, all props staticly balanced on a magnetic table and TIC anyhow!!! From that time on, NO more DJI props for me, under no consideration. The APC 10X4.7 are reliable and cost well under 5 bucks each! I would rather not fly than to take a chance on a DJI prop. Are you willing to drop your ship from 30 feet of the concrete with no fault of yours or to hurt someone if a prop failure take place? Who can say they can control the quad trajectory with 1 prop missing? Scr** me once, shame on you, scr** me twice, shame on me!!!

Case closed!

I totally second that! Get APC props if you just want to practice your flying before putting on the Graupners. Losing a prop in flight will destroy your craft. It's probably the cheapest part on a multi rotor but one that will cost a lot if it breaks. I had one prop break and a destroyed my flat hex a. I actually heard the prop snap in flight. APC or Graupners. Nothing else.

frviana

Regarding APC prop, I see the 10x4.7 has hub diameter 0.50 and hub thickness of 0.29... how can you ream to 0.80 as the thickness won't allow? Do I see something wrong in here?
Their 10x5E is 0.80 already but they don't have a counter rotating version.

I totally second that! Get APC props if you just want to practice your flying before putting on the Graupners. Losing a prop in flight will destroy your craft. It's probably the cheapest part on a multi rotor but one that will cost a lot if it breaks. I had one prop break and a destroyed my flat hex a. I actually heard the prop snap in flight. APC or Graupners. Nothing else.

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, they come with shims but there not an easy deal to use. it's been a long time, but i think you have to ream the front of the prop out a little, preserve the precission hole at the back and slide the adapter on, thin one and it helps to shafe it, i used an xacto knife and lightly spun it in the spacer. if you just push it on it won;t go in the prop or/and it crascks from being so tight

I've seen 10" apc in E speed prop instead of sloflyer in both directions. if i was running apc that'd be my choice

frviana

My Graupner 10x5 arrived. Someone said in here that he didn't need a washer... well, I tried without and prop slips so I need to put a washer/spacer.

Question: Should I put the washer on the top, between the Prop and nut or on the bottom of the prop... between the prop and the motor?

kloner

Aerial DP
if you get the 8mm type washer bottom. i have graupner prop dapter, they use a 6mm on top, but i think it'd bottom out on the dji motor shaft shoulder. if you put your nut in a socket and run a countersink into the nut, it'll let it go down tight. Just barely hit it. Your not trying to reshape America, just put a .05" deep countersink in it

DesJardins

My Graupner 10x5 arrived. Someone said in here that he didn't need a washer... well, I tried without and prop slips so I need to put a washer/spacer.

Question: Should I put the washer on the top, between the Prop and nut or on the bottom of the prop... between the prop and the motor?
Washer under the prop

shsober

I just got Graupner 10" props for my F550. They do not fit tightly on the shaft and I wonder, even with washers to keep it them tight, how can you expect to get good balance and how important is it? There's not much play, I can use a piece of paper between prop hole and shaft as a spacer and it's tight. If I put a washer below the prop it will have even less contact area with the larger diameter of the hub closer to the motor.

Last edited by a moderator: